Sea of Thieves

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Has to be a preference thing, I use Win10 at work and no matter what it is f'ing awful. Such a step back. It may RUN better under the hood, but the front end is simply abhorrent. Microsoft needs to quit changing things for the sake of changing things.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Has to be a preference thing, I use Win10 at work and no matter what it is f'ing awful. Such a step back. It may RUN better under the hood, but the front end is simply abhorrent. Microsoft needs to quit changing things for the sake of changing things.
Try something like classic shell to make it look like a old os that you prefer I guess if you refuse to adapt. ;)

In either case I would like it if more games started requiring new os's only as it stops forcing game devs from having to program their game for old outdated systems. This limits their performance for the rest that are not using 10+ year old hardware / software and expect it to run.

Now to stop them from trying to get their game to work for consoles also as that's almost as bad.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I would like it if vendors woudl stop trying to force people to move to new os when they could trivally support the new api in the old os.

Try something like classic shell to make it look like a old os that you prefer I guess if you refuse to adapt. ;)

In either case I would like it if more games started requiring new os's only as it stops forcing game devs from having to program their game for old outdated systems. This limits their performance for the rest that are not using 10+ year old hardware / software and expect it to run.

Now to stop them from trying to get their game to work for consoles also as that's almost as bad.

Reactions: Ranulf

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I would like it if vendors woudl stop trying to force people to move to new os when they could trivally support the new api in the old os.
I hate to to tell you but it's time to upgrade from windows ME. :D

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

If only it were that simple. Also, MS is trying to make their OS like a console and/or phone, so good luck with that dream. :)

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
the move to xbox live and windows store is a pita, not being able to log in and play the games is fucking annoying

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
the move to xbox live and windows store is a pita, not being able to log in and play the games is fucking annoying

I have had no issues logging in? Actually, I don't login at all to XBox store. It uses my Windows 10 login. I just click sea of thieves and it runs. Adding friends is easy, friends can join games already in progress. All works pretty good.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I have had no issues logging in? Actually, I don't login at all to XBox store. It uses my Windows 10 login. I just click sea of thieves and it runs. Adding friends is easy, friends can join games already in progress. All works pretty good.
I've had issues, couldn't download from the store, when it works it works when it doesn't it doesn't...amazing

Got random errors saying i wasn't connected, errors downloading licences etc...then it would suddenly work again...it's no different than steam, it's just more shitty drm.

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I've had issues, couldn't download from the store, when it works it works when it doesn't it doesn't...amazing

Got random errors saying i wasn't connected, errors downloading licences etc...then it would suddenly work again...it's no different than steam, it's just more shitty drm.
Was it the store causing issues or the game as it was an stress test and they had a lot of log in issues the last few tests.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Was it the store causing issues or the game as it was an stress test and they had a lot of log in issues the last few tests.
Most likely it was the store...The game would say i was not logged in, i'd go to the store and try to dl a new app (one of the fixes i had read) and it would error out on acquiring licences, rebooted same thing, tried again an hour later and it magically worked...

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Yeah, they were purposefully limiting connections. There was a few times I was unable to play because they had locked population counts. Which they were actively tweeting about, so we knew when it was going to happen (if you looked).

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Yeah, they were purposefully limiting connections. There was a few times I was unable to play because they had locked population counts. Which they were actively tweeting about, so we knew when it was going to happen (if you looked).
:rolleyes: aw shit yeah, to play a game i have to watch out for tweets now! :rolleyes:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
:rolleyes: aw shit yeah, to play a game i have to watch out for tweets now! :rolleyes:

Dude, it was a load test beta weekend. Its only purpose was for testing the servers. The game comes out on March 20th. When you play in a beta, you are signing up for having issues, and interruptions.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Dude, it was a load test beta weekend. Its only purpose was for testing the servers. The game comes out on March 20th. When you play in a beta, you are signing up for having issues, and interruptions.

wasn't complaining about the beta test just the general state of buginess about having to use xbox live/windows store, in particular with AOE. Haven't tried Sea of Thieves yet tbh, i've purchased it but can wait until it comes out.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Launch day and guess what?

GhcIBmj.jpg

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Yeah, it was like that yesterday too. Just going to give a week or two before I jump on.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I understand this is a shared world, not an MMO per se, but how does it play? Do you go around leveling up like MMORPGs?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I did get on during open beta period and it was fun and ran really good once you got in a game. They turned of the login servers to fix an ingame issue, hopefully be up so they said

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I understand this is a shared world, not an MMO per se, but how does it play? Do you go around leveling up like MMORPGs?
You just level your reputation with the various groups in the game, gold hoarders and such, to unlock new missions and unlock more customization items for now.

Otherwise all you can get are cosmetic items as the devs do not want other players to have advantages over others.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Heard a lot about this one through articles showing up in my news feed. Funny because I just gave my Xbox one to my brother so he could play fortnite on campus with his buddies. Maybe I'll try it out on pc but I've been having a hard time understanding what it's all about.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Heard a lot about this one through articles showing up in my news feed. Funny because I just gave my Xbox one to my brother so he could play fortnite on campus with his buddies. Maybe I'll try it out on pc but I've been having a hard time understanding what it's all about.

Watch some streams on twitch would help with that.

But in short, "You are a Pirate", you get jobs from the gold horders to find treasure chests, bounties on other (NPC) pirates, capture and transport livestock. You do this by sailing a ship (solo, with 2, or with 4 players) on two different size ships. Finding treasure is as simple as following the X on a map that you get, or it is sometimes a multi-part riddle (my favorites). Returning the treasures gets you gold, which you can then use to buy items, or customize yourself or your ship.

I have had some EPIC times in ship to ship battles, or in some cases running from or chasing another ship.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Watch some streams on twitch would help with that.

But in short, "You are a Pirate", you get jobs from the gold horders to find treasure chests, bounties on other (NPC) pirates, capture and transport livestock. You do this by sailing a ship (solo, with 2, or with 4 players) on two different size ships. Finding treasure is as simple as following the X on a map that you get, or it is sometimes a multi-part riddle (my favorites). Returning the treasures gets you gold, which you can then use to buy items, or customize yourself or your ship.

I have had some EPIC times in ship to ship battles, or in some cases running from or chasing another ship.
Sounds like it would be fun and at least worth a try. Haven't played a PC game in such a long time. Can you do multiplayer with other people? Like a squadron of pirates all doing stuff together?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Sounds like it would be fun and at least worth a try. Haven't played a PC game in such a long time. Can you do multiplayer with other people? Like a squadron of pirates all doing stuff together?

You can play solo (but on a server with other real people), with randoms as part of your crew, or with a party. Its most fun with a party.