SE-R Spec V a good economy car?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: BigSmooth
Car and Driver took away their recommendation for the Sentra due to reliability issues.
Since when does C&D make recommendations based on reliability issues? You mean Consumer Reports? I noticed that CR dropped the Sentra to "below average" for reliability for '03, which doesn't make much sense to me since it has remained virtually unchanged since its debut in 2000, unless there are issues with the newer engines.

I think it's not a bad deal at all for $15K. Fuel economy is not a strong point but it's got a torquey engine and good handling. On the negative side it's kinda ugly, the resale wouldn't be great, and the 6-speed is supposed to be pretty sloppy (maybe the non-Spec V would be better).
It would still be a fun commuter for $15K, though. And even though CR doesn't like it, I would think it would still be a reliable vehicle overall. I have not had any problems with mine in 60K miles, although I have the 1.8L engine.

My mistake. Consumer Reports, not C&D.