scrolling screen in 1920x1200 and can't do 1680x1050 on my 24" either! why?!

kraze21

Nov 29, 2007
hello,

first off, i'm relatively new to the world of widescreen monitors and video graphics in general.

I'm running an Nvidia geforce 5200 fx (picked it up about 3 years ago when I bought my pc) and a 24 inch Soyo DYLM24D6 that I picked up on Black Friday.

Anyhow, the native resolution on the monitor is 1920x1200. However, when I set my video card to the native resolution (it supports up to 2048x1536 if that's relevant at all), the height fits properly, but I have to scroll left and right to see the whole screen. This is really annoying. Any tips from the experts?!

Also, maybe a separate issue, but the monitor also supports 1680x1050, which I understand to be a pretty standard resolution for widescreen monitor. However, my video card does not apparently offer that setting (though it does have 1600x900 and 1600x1200)... any reason why that might be and if there's a way around this?

Currently, I'm running 1440x900 without any issues, but I'd like to go higher.

Thanks in advance!

kraze21

Nov 29, 2007
yup, it's set to 60. that's actually the only option available in the selections.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Wait , i read the question wrong :(

but I have to scroll left and right to see the whole screen.[\B]

What do you mean by that ?

kraze21

Nov 29, 2007
Originally posted by: tuteja1986
Wait , i read the question wrong :(

but I have to scroll left and right to see the whole screen.[\B]

What do you mean by that ?

I mean that when I set my resolution to 1920x1200, for some reason, the available workspace doesn't actually fit on my screen. For example, if I open a browser window and maximize it, vertically, it fits fine, but not horizontally, so I only see about 85% of the browser window. To see the minimize, resize, and close icons in the top right of the browser window, I actually have to bring my mouse to the right edge of the screen. When I do that, the screen scrolls to the right, allowing me to view the rest of the browser window.

Does that make sense? If not, is there any way for me to post a screenshot here?

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
do you mean the setting is back to front as in 1200x1920?, does Device Manager have the monitor listed correctly?

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
It sounds like the aspect ratio is screwed up, when you set 1920x1200 it is defaulting the aspect to 5:4, which would be 1600x1200. That is why you have to scroll to see the rest of your screen.

Kraze: If your using the built in Windows XP driver for your 5200 then download the latest from Nvidia's website. If your using the latest Nvidia driver already, try uninstalling and using the built in Windows one.

kraze21

Nov 29, 2007
I initially had an older nvidia driver, and saw the issue. I then uninstalled, and went with the generic windows driver, and that was worse. I now have the latest nvidia driver, and still see the issue.

any other thoughts?

also, could it be something wrong w/ the monitor itself, or is the issue with my vid card? if it's the monitor, I need to return before my 14 day window expires.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: kraze21
hello,

first off, i'm relatively new to the world of widescreen monitors and video graphics in general.

I'm running an Nvidia geforce 5200 fx (picked it up about 3 years ago when I bought my pc) and a 24 inch Soyo DYLM24D6 that I picked up on Black Friday.

Anyhow, the native resolution on the monitor is 1920x1200. However, when I set my video card to the native resolution (it supports up to 2048x1536 if that's relevant at all), the height fits properly, but I have to scroll left and right to see the whole screen. This is really annoying. Any tips from the experts?!

Also, maybe a separate issue, but the monitor also supports 1680x1050, which I understand to be a pretty standard resolution for widescreen monitor. However, my video card does not apparently offer that setting (though it does have 1600x900 and 1600x1200)... any reason why that might be and if there's a way around this?

Currently, I'm running 1440x900 without any issues, but I'd like to go higher.

Thanks in advance!

Return that monitor AT ONCE... I bought a sceptre monitor from costco that had similar problems... A monitor should NEVER EVER allow MORE then the native resolution. It fucks up DVI display mode. ESPECIALLY if that max resolution is of different aspect ratio then the native resolution. (2048 / 1536 = 1.333 while 1920 / 1200 = 1.6)
If you would read the manual I bet they recommend that you plug it through VGA... that sceptre monitor did... thats how you know for certain that it is a known problem with the monitor and you aint getting a fix...
Any company with competent engineers knows to have their monitors properly report the max resolution as the native resolution on DVI exactly for those reasons!

I also saw HD TVs with similar problems...
NEVER buy a monitor that "supports" a max resolution higher then its native resolution. This is a sign of bad engineering a surefire way to know you will have those problems.

If you cannot return this monitor for a refund then your only option is to plug it through VGA.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
I think hes talking about his video card being able to do 2048x1536...

I think I know what your talking about. This happens sometimes with my CRT.

If I can recall, I just added a custom resolution, in your case 1920x1200, in powerstrip. I then just restarted and everything was back to normal.

In my experience, it wasnt the screen, video card, or drivers. Im pretty sure I narrowed it down to windows being stupid.

Are you running dual displays? My CRT would only let me do 1440x900 without the scrolling too when I had my 19" LCD hooked up at the same time. Its a PITA, but I hope that helps.

kraze21

Nov 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Cabages
I think hes talking about his video card being able to do 2048x1536...

I think I know what your talking about. This happens sometimes with my CRT.

If I can recall, I just added a custom resolution, in your case 1920x1200, in powerstrip. I then just restarted and everything was back to normal.

In my experience, it wasnt the screen, video card, or drivers. Im pretty sure I narrowed it down to windows being stupid.

Are you running dual displays? My CRT would only let me do 1440x900 without the scrolling too when I had my 19" LCD hooked up at the same time. Its a PITA, but I hope that helps.

yes, im talking about the video card having the ability to go beyond 1920x1200, not the monitor.

I tried creating custom resolutions in the nvidia control panel, but that didn't work. powerstrip... thats a 3rd party application, right? do i need to uninstall the nvidia drivers, then?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
CRTs and VGA works differently then DVI. If you use DVI on an LCD then it is a very real problem with low end monitors.
I see what you mean about the video card support though... In which case I have to ask. What does your monitor say the native and max resolution is? Because again, this is the EXACT same problem I saw with the sceptre 22 inch "gaming monitor" (snerk!), which I dubbed "the worst monitor I have ever seen" (it had 6 critical failures each one as bad as the resolution one)

kraze21

Nov 29, 2007
Originally posted by: taltamir
CRTs and VGA works differently then DVI. If you use DVI on an LCD then it is a very real problem with low end monitors.
I see what you mean about the video card support though... In which case I have to ask. What does your monitor say the native and max resolution is? Because again, this is the EXACT same problem I saw with the sceptre 22 inch "gaming monitor" (snerk!), which I dubbed "the worst monitor I have ever seen" (it had 6 critical failures each one as bad as the resolution one)

the native resolution on the monitor is 1920x1200, and i am using the dvi.

i'd like to be able to use that, or even just 1680x1050, but i dont think my vid card supports it.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
mmm. I was gonna suggest that you might be using a single link cable... but according to wikipedia a single link dvi is enough for 1920x1200

With a single DVI link, the largest resolution possible at 60 Hz is 2.75 megapixels (including blanking interval). For practical purposes, this allows a maximum screen resolution at 60 Hz of 1915 x 1436 pixels (standard 1.33 ratio), 1854 x 1483 pixels (1.25 ratio) or 2098 x 1311 (widescreen 1.6 ratio). The DVI connector therefore has provision for a second link, containing another set of red, green, and blue twisted pairs. When more bandwidth is required than is possible with a single link, the second link is enabled, and alternate pixels may be transmitted on each, allowing resolutions up to 4 megapixels at 60 Hz.

Edit: I did find this though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fx_5200:
# supports flat panel display for up to 1024x768
# supports resolutions for up to 2048x1024

I think this means that it supports those resolutions over VGA, but not over DVI. Try plugging it in through VGA.