*****Screwy problem. Your help is needed.....

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I've got a stupid system that, for some reason, will randomly drop the video signal out. I've tried 3 different vid-cards, 2 os's (NT/Win98SE), 2 processors, and 2 monitors. Sometimes it'll stay up for a few hours, sometimes for a few minutes. Suddenly the screen will just go blank. It happens when I'm using it or if the system is idle.

It's on an Epox EP-8KTA motherboard.

Any suggestions???

TIA

amish

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
only thing left is the mobo. maybe it has a funked up agp slot? :confused: try messing with some of those agp settings in the bios.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah, I've tried 2 monitors.

This system ran just fine for 6 months or so, do motherboards just go like that??

amish

skywhr

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
What kind of case?
I had this problem and it was due to one of the indication lights/ switches shorting out, so i would lose the signal, the only wire i have from the case lights and switches is the power switch, no problem!

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Oh yeah, after this happens, it doesn't like to reboot. I don't get a POST beep, but the fans spin-up.

Actually, I've tried 2 cases now, too...

amish

Khameleon

Apr 12, 2001
If you have a PCI video card handy, try that out and see if the problem persists. If not, your AGP slot is bad. If it does, pull all other cards, test the system with only the vid card, hard drive, and floppy, and then start putting parts back in until the problem returns. If it happens when the system is bare, pretty good chance something is screwed with the mobo.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I've tried 2 ps's. Both 250w. They both worked in their respective systems before I yanked them....

amish

TommyWDetroit

Banned
Mar 27, 2001
Sounds like your board went "duh". I'd start looking around for a new one, or if it's still within warrantee get it fixed. I don't know everthing about computers, but you can't beat the process of elimination. :D

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Check and recheck to make sure all energy saving features are turned completely off in the BIOS and properties. I've had them do very mysterious and unexplained things like turn themselves on......hey! not like that...:Q