Screwed up on user name - need help

Skyzoomer

Sep 27, 2007
I just installed WinXP Pro and screwed up on the User Name. During the installation, I entered "Sky" for the user name. After the install was complete I realized that having a different user name and password from my Vista laptop that has the user name of "Dad", will force me to enter the user name and password when doing network data transfers.

So I went to Control Panel > User Accounts and changed the user name from Sky to Dad. Seemed simple enough.

EDIT:
The problem now is that Documents and Settings still shows the "Sky" folder instead of renaming it to "Dad".
Anyway to fix this?

I know I could rename the user account back to Sky and create a new user account named Dad. But the problem with that is that I would have to reinstall all of my programs and desktop setup all over again. I not sure if I would have to install all of the peripheral drivers again too.

Thanks for any help,
Sky

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
You won't need to reinstall anything to create a new user. Just copy the desktop folder from one profile to the other to get your icons copied easily.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: sswingle
You won't need to reinstall anything to create a new user. Just copy the desktop folder from one profile to the other to get your icons copied easily.

Technically you would need a 3rd account for that. If you are copying one profile to another neither can be in use at the time meaning you need to sign in with a 3rd account copy the profile then delete the 3rd and the original "bad" account.

Also does it matter that the folder is called "sky"? Are you able to access it normally?

Skyzoomer

Sep 27, 2007
Hi sswingle and TheKub,

Using Start > All Programs, I compared all of the programs listed in Sky to Dad. Both program lists are identical. I didn't know that creating a new user account automatically inherited all of the programs that were installed to that point. Also the drivers I installed while in the Sky account seem to be installed in the Dad account also. So that solves those concerns.

I logged off the Dad account and logged in to the Sky account. I was able to copy the contents of the Sky Desktop folder to the Dad desktop folder so that solved the desktop problem.

HERE'S THE NEW PROBLEM:

I had previously deleted the Dad account to end up with just the Sky and Guest accounts. Then I deleted the Dad folder in Documents and Settings to end up with just the Sky folder to clean things up. The problem I have now is that when I created a new Dad account, WinXP remembered the old Dad account and named the new folder "Dad-2", sniff.

So WinXP does have housekeeping problems when user accounts are deleted and recreated. Looks like I'll have to delete the new Dad(2) account, rename the Sky account to Dad and live with the folder in Documents and Setting remaining with the Sky name.

Wonder if Visa or Win7 have user account housekeeping problems also?

Thanks for your help,
Sky