Screen size on monitor too big but fine when you turn it off / on

cmf21

Oct 10, 1999
I noticed on my sisters computer that when you turn her computer on and it gets into windows, the screen size is too big for the monitor. I've found that when you turn the monitor off and then back on it's normal size.

The computer she's on has a vga cable connected to her monitor running 1920x1080. Could this be the problem. Would switching to a hdmi cable solve this? If I can find a cable at her house I'll try it.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Sounds like a communication problem, as it doesn't communicate the right size to the screen. I would be interested to see if the different connection changes that. Could be a software problem if that doesn't fix it.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Just a cheap monitor. When the computer turns on it's probably re-syncing itself to resolution put out during the bios startup, then not re-syncing when the resolution changes once Windows loads.

If you can use an hdmi cable, do it, it will get around the issue.

cmf21

Oct 10, 1999
I tried an hdmi cable and the problem isn't there. It looks like I'm going to have to buy her a cable. I don't remember this problem when I purchased the computer for her at Christmas.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I tried an hdmi cable and the problem isn't there. It looks like I'm going to have to buy her a cable. I don't remember this problem when I purchased the computer for her at Christmas.

I wonder if a driver update (from Windows update) could have played a role here.

cmf21

Oct 10, 1999
I already thought of the driver update and did a roll back but the problem is still there. I don't remember her having this problem when I gave her the computer back at Christmas unless I screwed something up in the past few days I've been here.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Try pressing the uuto button on the monitor instead of powering on/off. Also bring up the menu on the monitor and select reset settings back to factory or whatever the default is.

Sporinator

Apr 23, 2013
I already thought of the driver update and did a roll back but the problem is still there. I don't remember her having this problem when I gave her the computer back at Christmas unless I screwed something up in the past few days I've been here.

Not knowing what video card is on her system makes this even tougher.

I know that my nVida updates from nVidia don't play well with the Windows nVida driver updates.

I have to use ONLY the nVidia site's WHQL Suite update. Elsewise I can some weird stuff going on.

I also keep, I think it's WHQL 192.5 or something like that around to revert back to when something screws up with my video.

It just crossed my mind, in Windows Display Resolution settings is it set to the monitor's NATIVE resolution or has that somehow changed?

You'll get all kinds of unexpected stuff it the monitor is not set to run in windows at it's Native Resolution.