Screen going white/checkered with my 270X

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I just purchased an MSI R9-270X, and I'm getting an issue where the screen just randomly goes white, or sometimes into a neat checkered pattern. Recovery seems impossible and requires a full system reboot. It's only happened when I've been browsing the internet (I use Chrome), never when I've been gaming (and I certainly have been putting the card through its paces with Dragon Age Inquisition). There's no corruption or artifacting of any kind beforehand, it just very suddenly and cleanly goes white or checkered. I'm uncertain if this is a driver issue, card defect issue, or possibly even a monitor issue, as the monitor is brand new also, though restarting the monitor doesn't seem to help. Thoughts?

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
if it only happens with chrome, that is a chrome issue. chrome n your gpu hate each other. laziest solution is to use another browser.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I'm skeptical that it's a software issue. Why would Chrome cause the whole screen to go white or checkered?

Worlocked

Nov 9, 2005
Try turning off hardware acceleration in chrome or using another browser. Run furmark and see if it happens as that really stresses your GPU.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
because Chrome is a pile of crap; second if doesn't do it on anything else......You know its chrome..... Chrome is known for not playing nice with graphic cards....turn off hardware acceleration and I'm 99.9% sure it will go away.

Or use Opera or Firefox......