Screen freezes OC'ing 7900gt in Coolbits

kb2114

May 8, 2006
Any time I try to Detect Optimal Frequencies or manually overclock in coolbits, a bunch of randomly colored dots appear on the screen and the screen freezes. It's like it freeze frames on the screen and though I can hear error beeps and such, I can't interact with anything on the screen, it's just a frozen image.

My card runs perfectly fine on the stock clocks (520/750) at no more than 45* under load (VF900). When I first got the card I was able to OC to 550/800 with stock cooling using coolbits, but the freezing problem started when I OC'ed my 4200+ to 2.4 GHz, but now the freezing problem happens even at the stock cpu speed, so I have no idea what's going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Same thing is happening to a bunch of 7900 series owners that have factory OC'd cards. Whole bunch of threads on guru3d and the EVGA forums. XFX even shut their forum down a few weeks ago. Let me guess, worked fine for a while and then all of a sudden, POOF! No more worky. Might try backing off the memory clock a little. This has worked for some people. What brand is it? If its EVGA, check out their forums, and RMA it.

htmlmasterdave

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: kb2114
It's XFX, and it even freezes when I try to underclock it.

I have the same card and almost the exact same experience.... check out my poll about this. After XFX gets back to me, I'm guessing I'll be RMAing it :(