SCOTUS religious nutjobs doing their religious nutjob thing.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The Supreme Court on Tuesday granted the Trump administration's request to reinstate long-standing restrictions for patients seeking to obtain a drug used for abortions early in pregnancy -- with the three liberals dissenting in a potential preview of a new chapter in the court's rulings on the procedure.
Trump suspended requirement that other potentially deadly drugs be dispensed in person, but not abortion drugs. Our nutjob SCOTUS upheld it.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

Trump suspended requirement that other potentially deadly drugs be dispensed in person, but not abortion drugs. Our nutjob SCOTUS upheld it.
And you wonder how many of his spawn have been aborted.

Reactions: Pohemi and Muse

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Right wing religious fanatics must be so happy that they have some of their very own in the highest court of the land to rely on whenever they have to enforce their religious beliefs on the heathen unbelievers.

Reactions: Pohemi

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I can't agree that the decisions was based on amount of religious nutbaggery that is present on the court and more to do with overall Judicial philosophy.
(Busy at the moment but I recommend reading the background on the case)
The regulations at the center of Tuesday’s order control the dispensation of mifepristone, a drug that the FDA has approved to end pregnancies through the first 10 weeks. Under the FDA’s regulations, patients who want to use the drug to terminate their pregnancies must sign a form acknowledging risks associated with the drug and receive the pill, which is often produced under the brand name Mifeprex, from a health care provider in a medical setting. Once they have picked up the drug from a hospital or clinic, patients can take the pill at home, but they cannot receive the pill through the mail.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists went to federal court in Maryland last year, arguing that requiring patients to visit their health care providers in person in the middle of a pandemic violates the Constitution by creating a substantial obstacle to receiving an abortion. U.S. District Court Judge Theodore Chuang agreed with ACOG and issued an order in July that prohibited the FDA from enforcing the in-person requirement anywhere in the United States until the pandemic is over.

Reactions: tweaker2

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I can't agree that the decisions was based on amount of religious nutbaggery that is present on the court and more to do with overall Judicial philosophy.
(Busy at the moment but I recommend reading the background on the case)

Thx for posting. Knowledge being brought to light is always a good thing. My opinion on this specific ruling has changed due to your post. Always good to know the facts of the matter at hand.

That being said, it seems to me having so many catholics in the top court of the land (five?) does not speak to nor represent the majority interests of the nation's people as a whole. This imbalance induced by McConnell's shenanigans is something that needs to be addressed in a serious way by the Biden administration.

This in most part reflects on what I previously posted in this thread.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
There are many drugs that are required to be picked up in person. This doesnt limit abortions at all. Now, if it required some sort of counselling session beforehand, that would be another story. But AFAIK it doesnt.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
There are many drugs that are required to be picked up in person. This doesnt limit abortions at all. Now, if it required some sort of counselling session beforehand, that would be another story. But AFAIK it doesnt.
Trump administration waived that requirement for a lot of drugs, including potentially deadly opioids in response to COVID. But not these drugs.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Seems to me the dumpster's administration has been 100:1 wrong-headed legislation versus beneficial. It will be over in one week but I heard tonight that the dumpster is dumping on the country with one tantrum edict after another. GA Senate outcome was excellent news. I want one more good news item: The assurance that it's impossible for the dumpster to grab the reigns of power again.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Seems to me the dumpster's administration has been 100:1 wrong-headed legislation versus beneficial. It will be over in one week but I heard tonight that the dumpster is dumping on the country with one tantrum edict after another. GA Senate outcome was excellent news. I want one more good news item: The assurance that it's impossible for the dumpster to grab the reigns of power again.
It's not Trump you have to worry about. It's his progeny, both genetic and ideological.

Fascism didn't lose this year. It got a taste of blood.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

The point is to make it harder to obtain. It's not about safety.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Trump administration waived that requirement for a lot of drugs, including potentially deadly opioids in response to COVID. But not these drugs.
Yeah, and nice little backstep on the fight against the opioid crisis that the public seemingly forgot during the pandemic.
The point is to make it harder to obtain. It's not about safety.
Opioids have always been pickup in-person, and show state ID when doing so...at least here in my state. There's good reason for it.
Allowing these drugs to be dispensed by mail may decrease risk for susceptible patients needing to get refills without visiting a clinic or hospital, but it will also make abuse an easier game.

'Morning-After' pills have some risk and danger to use, sure. Are they deadly? Only to the zygote/embryo.
Do people abuse the morning-after pill to "get fucked up"? No. Do people sell them on the street? No.

I doubt "patient safety" was really the end goal here.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's not Trump you have to worry about. It's his progeny, both genetic and ideological.

His progeny. Can you be specific? don jr? Ivanka? They both strike me as losers (from a political standpoint), utterly. WTF is gonna back them? And look, corporate America is not especially happy about the ransacking of the Capitol. The Twump brand is likely irretrievably blemished. Sayonara twump.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yeah, and nice little backstep on the fight against the opioid crisis that the public seemingly forgot during the pandemic.

Opioids have always been pickup in-person, and show state ID when doing so...at least here in my state. There's good reason for it.
Allowing these drugs to be dispensed by mail may decrease risk for susceptible patients needing to get refills without visiting a clinic or hospital, but it will also make abuse an easier game.

I doubt "patient safety" was really the end goal here.

Sure, that's posters lame brain comparison could only be viewed from a safety perspective. The anit abortion crowd will do anything for their feels.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
His progeny. Can you be specific? don jr? Ivanka? They both strike me as losers, utterly. WTF is gonna back them?
Ideological progeny includes the 10s of millions of fucktards who worship him, not to mention the shill fuckheads actually sitting in congress (Hawley, Cruz, Graham, etc etc).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ideological progeny includes the 10s of millions of fucktards who worship him, not to mention the shill fuckheads actually sitting in congress (Hawley, Cruz, Graham, etc etc).
Yeah, well, I was talking about his genetic progeny.

I also have the feeling that twump's political fortunes (twumpism in particular, not his personal prospects, which stand a good chance of being flushed down the Capitol toilet) is suffering right now, not gaining momentum. The vote really matters and I find it hard to believe that voting America is happy with the insurrection. The Vote!!!

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Related side-topic: The first video clip that played on that CNN story intrigued me so I did a quick search on the book author's name. Seems she is a law professor at the U of Illinois.

This short outline (and the basis of her book) shows how our abortion laws came to be what they are today, and why there's been so much fighting over it for a century and a half.

It didn't even start out as some religious, ethical/moral debate. I think the church just kind of attached itself to the argument at some point, possibly because someone got the idea interjected into their broken head.

It was the medical field, and doctor's wanting to rid themselves of competition in the form of midwives and homeopathic practitioners. GOGO BIG PHARMA lol. I see this latest ruling as a 150 yr continuation of the bullshit.

Reactions: Muse

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Doctors should just say that their religion prevents them from complying with regulations on abortion. As far as I can tell saying that means you are exempted from all laws.

Reactions: kage69

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

This.

It's Trump 2.0 that I really worry about. Think of a person with all of Trump's malignant and treasonous qualities, but probably not encumbered with the same low intelligence and ignorance. Imagine a Trump, but one who understands history as well as what is happening around him. And his or her supporters/enablers will look to The Fuckening (2016-2021) as a template of what works and what doesn't.

Chilling shit.

Congress and voters both need additional protections from fascists and traitors taking office. Stat. This country simply cannot afford to have another mentally unfit foreign asset in the White House.

Last edited:

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
His progeny. Can you be specific? don jr? Ivanka? They both strike me as losers (from a political standpoint), utterly. WTF is gonna back them? And look, corporate America is not especially happy about the ransacking of the Capitol. The Twump brand is likely irretrievably blemished. Sayonara twump.
Hitler looked like a big fucking loser in 1924.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hitler looked like a big fucking loser in 1924.
His father was AFAIK not on the political stage. Trump will always cast a big shadow on his kids, none of them is going to emerge as a political force. IMO.

Edit: And note... Hitler had a son who went nowhere in politics.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
His father was AFAIK not on the political stage. Trump will always cast a big shadow on his kids, none of them is going to emerge as a political force. IMO.

Edit: And note... Hitler had a son who went nowhere in politics.
So your argument is that because Biden won by 43,000 votes in 3 states, this is all over and we're in the clear? Because you're spending a whole lot of time whistling past the graveyard here.

Trump's progeny, whether his genetic children, or his ideological heirs, are out there, right now, plotting. And they won't be nearly as incompetent as Trump.

The only reason Trump isn't President-elect is 43,000 votes spread out over 3 states. Biden didn't win some landslide victory. It doesn't matter how many hundreds of millions of Californians and New Yorkers vote for the Democrat.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So your argument is that because Biden won by 43,000 votes in 3 states, this is all over and we're in the clear? Because you're spending a whole lot of time whistling past the graveyard here.

Trump's progeny, whether his genetic children, or his ideological heirs, are out there, right now, plotting. And they won't be nearly as incompetent as Trump.

The only reason Trump isn't President-elect is 43,000 votes spread out over 3 states. Biden didn't win some landslide victory. It doesn't matter how many hundreds of millions of Californians and New Yorkers vote for the Democrat.
My argument was that trump's children won't emerge as serious presidential candidates. The electoral college system sucks, but even so Ivanka or Don Jr. will not be president.