SCOTUS Nomination Thread

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 16, 1999
Isn't it illegal to intimidate a judge?
Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX), the No. 2 Republican in the Senate, said Monday that President Obama's yet-to-be-named Supreme Court nominee would be like a "piñata."

"I think they will bear some resemblance to a piñata," Cornyn told reporters on Capitol Hill, according to CNN.

"What I don't understand is how someone who actually wants to be confirmed to the Supreme Court would actually allow themselves to be used by the administration in a political fight that's going to last from now until the end of the year," Cornyn continued.

He also said there was "no guarantee, certainly, after that time they're going to look as good as they did going in."
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/cornyn-pinata-scotus-nom

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I was joking earlier about Obama nominating Trumps Sister but after reading this maybe it would be a good idea. She is described as a moderate conservative judge. Plus it would be fun the see the established republicans try to stone wall her.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...pro-abortion-extremist’/ar-AAgwj5W?li=BBnb7Kz

wow, first I ever heard of her. That would be kinda brilliant to nominate her....maybe. I wonder if she would willingly accept the nomination, though?

If the establishment repubs are truly scared of Trumpzilla, would stonewalling this type of nomination anger him even further? Truly releasing the Krakken?

:hmm:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Not really. The goal here is pretty obvious: republicans don't want Obama to nominate anyone because that makes them look bad. Doubly so if the candidate is a really good one.

Their goal is first to stop any nomination. If that isn't possible then they want as weak a nomination as possible. Yes, that's bad governance. No, they don't care about bad governance.

Oct 16, 1999
I have a hard time believing those particular words weren't specifically and purposely directed at Kelly. That's beyond simple bad governance.