News Scot Peterson, school resource officer criticized for his response during the Parkland shooting, faces felony charges

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Ok Rambo, you do know soldiers freeze too right? People can talk all they want about how they’d rush in and save the day but no one ever knows what they’ll do until they’re in the moment.

I believe this guy was a patrol cop for 10 years. Don't buy the incapacitating panic attack BS. It's too bad no one he cared about was in there because I bet his ass would have been there....

I can't think of a single person who thinks this guy can't be blamed. There's a big difference between 'blameworthy' and 'prosecuted' though.

So distinct that you've shown numerous times you are willing to prosecute people for things they don't have control over (e.g. Robert Bates).

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
so a good guy with a gun depends. And cops arent trained well. Thats all I get from you.

You’ve certainly got more from me than that but you refuse to see it. You can be well trained all you want but fear can still take hold. He froze, simple as that. Have you ever been in a live fire combat situation?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I believe this guy was a patrol cop for 10 years. Don't buy the incapacitating panic attack BS. It's too bad no one he cared about was in there because I bet his ass would have been there....

He may have been a cop for 10 years but at that moment in time fear took hold, why do you doubt that’s what happened? Do you think he had ulterior motives and wanted the kids to die? What reason other than fear do you think he had in not going in here? And training can prepare you but at the end of the day you’re still human.

Also there is no crime to charge him with, the Supreme Court have already decided this

https://mises.org/power-market/police-have-no-duty-protect-you-federal-court-affirms-yet-again

“Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,” said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.”

The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the government has only a duty to protect persons who are “in custody,” he pointed out.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well the only blame that counts is criminal. Again any cop that would rather let kids die then risk their life to try and save them needs to quit and if they dont quit they need to do 20 years.

Why is that the only blame that counts?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
scroll down and listen to every audio link and watch every video then come back and give your opinion.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Why is that the only blame that counts?

Because without holding people accountable in the law for causing the deaths of children then other police can and will act the same. We already have a big problem with guns the last thing we need are first responders thinking being a first responder is optional.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I expect cops to die for kids. I will cry for them but I expect them to die for kids.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
He may have been a cop for 10 years but at that moment in time fear took hold, why do you doubt that’s what happened? Do you think he had ulterior motives and wanted the kids to die? What reason other than fear do you think he had in not going in here? And training can prepare you but at the end of the day you’re still human.

Also there is no crime to charge him with, the Supreme Court have already decided this

https://mises.org/power-market/police-have-no-duty-protect-you-federal-court-affirms-yet-again

“Neither the Constitution, nor state law, impose a general duty upon police officers or other governmental officials to protect individual persons from harm — even when they know the harm will occur,” said Darren L. Hutchinson, a professor and associate dean at the University of Florida School of Law. “Police can watch someone attack you, refuse to intervene and not violate the Constitution.”

The Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the government has only a duty to protect persons who are “in custody,” he pointed out.

For someone that supposedly had an incapacitating panic attack, he still was able to move around relatively calmly and still speak, which isn't surprising considering he never got in close proximity to the shooter (while despicably lying about it being a sniper on the outside).

Most people who don't like their job get out of it the first few years. While he was in an affluent area, I'm sure he must have been in uncomfortable situations at some point.

There is no definite ruling on it in regards from the SC. It'll be contingent on how they interpret "caregiver". It's definitely reckless disregard for life.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Because without holding people accountable in the law for causing the deaths of children then other police can and will act the same. We already have a big problem with guns the last thing we need are first responders thinking being a first responder is optional.

This isn't where I'd start holding people accountable for the law. That should have been set years ago by the corrupt millionaires and corrupt politicians as well as corrupt police. This guy is just a grunt. He didn't kill those kids. Additionally it's easy to be an internet tough guy - I don't know you, so maybe you're a navy seal or something, but unless you've actually been in a fire fight, your expectations are a tad high of a town cop. It's a sad reality, and I am not saying you are wrong to have those expectations, but that's an issue with the system, not with this guy.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
This isn't where I'd start holding people accountable for the law. That should have been set years ago by the corrupt millionaires and corrupt politicians as well as corrupt police. This guy is just a grunt. He didn't kill those kids. Additionally it's easy to be an internet tough guy - I don't know you, so maybe you're a navy seal or something, but unless you've actually been in a fire fight, your expectations are a tad high of a town cop. It's a sad reality, and I am not saying you are wrong to have those expectations, but that's an issue with the system, not with this guy.

Yes. Just a "town cop". He's within the 10th percentile of income earners. Military is held to a higher standard for a poorer applicant pool.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

what? My expectations are high? Im not any kind of tough guy. Why woudl you think that? Im expected to do the job I chose to do well. Why shoudlnt I expect that of others?

https://projects.sun-sentinel.com/2018/sfl-parkland-school-shooting-critical-moments/

You should check that out.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Damn man, that link is rough.

its very rough. But people need to watch it. people around here are so uneducated to the events and make dumb comments like ugly "he froze" like the fat fuck was in a ww1 trench shellshocked from fire or something. smh.

Last edited:
Reactions: BUTCH1

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
That link shows the whole thing was a clusterfuck, not just him, again, just a scapegoat.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
That link shows the whole thing was a clusterfuck, not just him, again, just a scapegoat.

He told them to stay back. What are you talking about? You need to spend 30 minutes going thru the link again.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
He told them to stay back. What are you talking about? You need to spend 30 minutes going thru the link again.

Yea he did, that means nothing. You weren't there.

As for police in general I think you are all in for a rude awakening. This isn't TV or movies.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005

I can't imagine being part of a profession that has taken "to protect and serve" as their motto, is constantly treated like heroes, given all kinds of weapons and training, and my profession went all the way to the supreme fucking court to argue that they don't actually have to protect and serve.