SciFi/Fantasy books - Whats your thoughts on King's Dark Tower series?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
What a great read, I practically read the entire book in a day. I'm actually pissed that I did'nt grab the sequel (Elven Star) while I had a chance. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to continue the series. Oh well I guess that will give me a chance to finish off the other 3 books I started reading last week.

I was kinda doubtful about the series but I'm glad I gave it a chance, Dragon Wings was a very satisfying read. The characters were interesting and I also enjoyed the occasional humour injected throughout the novel, I usually don't care for that kind of thing in my scifi/fantasy reading but in this case it was refreshing.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Praetor
And Tracy Hickman. Death Gate cycle. Good series.

have you read any of her other books? are they worth looking into?

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Death Gate cycle was excellent, one of my favorite series's. They are all great books, definitely finish the series if you enjoyed the first one.

I've enjoyed all the Weis/Hickman series's, although I haven't read any of the newer ones after Death Gate cycle (where they continued their Dragonlance chronicals series).

I tried reading that Sci-Fi series by Weis and didn't really like it, only read the first book, can't remember what its called.

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
I hear the Wheel of Time books from Robert Jordan are good too. Anyone confirm this?

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
Originally posted by: bleeb
I hear the Wheel of Time books from Robert Jordan are good too. Anyone confirm this?

Way too long IMO, but I did enjoy the first few books of the wheel of time. The Death Gate Cycle is one of my all time favorites, Haplo rules!!!!

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

its a long read, I think the series is over 11,000 pages now, but the last few books have been complete crap. But now I've invested so much time I've got to see this series through.

of course there's the RiftWar saga. Great classic fantasy.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Arkitech
Originally posted by: Praetor
And Tracy Hickman. Death Gate cycle. Good series.

have you read any of her other books? are they worth looking into?

DragonLance Series, did you ever read them??

wow, it's been a long time since i thought about AD&D and the dragonlance series of books.

JImmyK

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
by far MY favorite series Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin, first book is A game of thrones.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Read David Edding's Belgariad/Mallorean series. I personally liked it better than LOTR.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
The Dragonlance Series by Weis and Hickman was outstanding. A very good read (although quite long, I think it''s 11 books for the main series, along with at least another 10 just for the devlopment and backgrounds of other characters. And those are the Dragonlance books just by them. I think there's something like 70 total by various authors (including them).

I'd definintely have to say though that A Song of Ice and Fire > Dragonlance Series.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Pet peeve: When people lump sci-fi and fantasy together. They are two different things, and all the books mentioned thus far have nothing to do with sci-fi.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Pet peeve: When people lump sci-fi and fantasy together. They are two different things, and all the books mentioned thus far have nothing to do with sci-fi.

actually, some of my favorite sci fi/ fantasy books are crossovers, from the future to the past, or from the present to the past.

Julian May, The Many Colored Land series for example.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Astaroth33

I'm not lumping them together they just happened to be my 2 favorite fiction genres

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

No, the first three are good, then Jordan decided he wanted to pad 2 more books worth of material into a 15 book series. NOTHING HAPPENS after book three. The whole thing devolves into endless descriptions of the womens hair and dress styles while key characters disappear entirely. Do yourself a favor and don't even start the series, if you have even half a brain you'll be bored to tears by book 6 and will drop it entirely. All the time spent on the first several books will be wasted.

Try George R.R. Martin's "Song of Fire and Ice" series. It's more political and less magical than the typical fantasy series, but there's more action in a single chapter than Jordan can cram into 5 books. Also try Eddings Belgariad/Malloreon books and Feist's Riftwar series, those are worth reading. As for Weis and Hickman, the Deathgate books were the only ones they did I really liked. They did a couple of decent Dragonlance books and a couple of really awful series like The Darksword books and the Rose of the Prophet

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt

No, the first three are good, then Jordan decided he wanted to pad 2 more books worth of material into a 15 book series. NOTHING HAPPENS after book three. The whole thing devolves into endless descriptions of the womens hair and dress styles while key characters disappear entirely. Do yourself a favor and don't even start the series, if you have even half a brain you'll be bored to tears by book 6 and will drop it entirely. All the time spent on the first several books will be wasted.

Try George R.R. Martin's "Song of Fire and Ice" series. It's more political and less magical than the typical fantasy series, but there's more action in a single chapter than Jordan can cram into 5 books. Also try Eddings Belgariad/Malloreon books and Feist's Riftwar series, those are worth reading. As for Weis and Hickman, the Deathgate books were the only ones they did I really liked. They did a couple of decent Dragonlance books and a couple of really awful series like The Darksword books and the Rose of the Prophet

Wow the song of ice and fire sounds interesting, I love political intrigue in fantasy books.

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Arkitech
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt

Wow the song of ice and fire sounds interesting, I love political intrigue in fantasy books.

It's a great series, very different from most other fantasy series. Be warned, don't get too attached to a character

:evil: