Scientists including 20 Nobel Laureates Accuse White House of Distorting Facts for Policy Goals

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Witling
Dissipate, why do you suppose it is that they're mostly liberals?

Well actually I'm not so sure about scientists in general but professors usually have nice secure jobs, and they are academic elitists. You see liberalism is actually an elitist view. Their view is that poor people will never rise to their level of academic achievement so they must be given government benefits.

Edit: here in California there is all kinds of pressure to give non-asian minorities preferential treatment when it comes to college admissions. The view being by the academic elitist professors that they can't get in on their own merit.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
The Bush administration has deliberately and systematically distorted scientific fact in the service of policy goals on the environment, health, biomedical research and nuclear weaponry at home and abroad, a group of about 60 influential scientists, including 20 Nobel laureates, said in a statement issued today.

The sweeping charges were later discussed in a conference call with some of the scientists that was organized by the Union of Concerned Scientists, an independent organization that focuses on technical issues and has often taken stands at odds with administration policy. The organization also issued a 37-page report today that it said detailed the accusations.

Together, the two documents accuse the administration of repeatedly censoring and suppressing reports by its own scientists, stacking advisory committees with unqualified political appointees, disbanding government panels that provide unwanted advice, and refusing to seek any independent scientific expertise in some cases.

"Other administrations have, on occasion, engaged in such practices, but not so systematically nor on so wide a front," the statement from the scientists said, adding that they believed the administration had "misrepresented scientific knowledge and misled the public about the implications of its policies."

A White House spokesman, Scott McClellan, said today he had not seen the text of the scientists' accusations. "But I can assure you that this is an administration that makes decisions based on the best available science," he said.

Dr. Kurt Gottfried, an emeritus professor of physics at Cornell University who signed the statement and spoke in the conference call, said the administration had "engaged in practices that are in conflict with the spirit of science and the scientific method." Dr. Gottfried asserted that what he called "the cavalier attitude toward science" could place at risk the basis for the nation's long-term prosperity, health and military prowess.

The scientists denied that they had political motives in releasing the documents as the 2004 presidential race began to take shape, with Howard Dean dropping out a day after Senator John Kerry narrowly defeated Senator John Edwards on the Wisconsin Democratic primary. The organization's report, Dr. Gottfried said, had taken a year to prepare ? much longer than originally planned ? and had been released as soon as it was ready.

"I don't see it as a partisan issue at all," said Russell Train, who served as administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency under Presidents Richard M. Nixon and Gerald R. Ford, and who spoke in the conference call in support of the statement. "If it becomes that way I think it's because the White House chooses to make it a partisan issue," Mr. Train said

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: tallest1
Originally posted by: Dissipate
Scientists and professors are mostly liberals so go figure.

OMFG! Hahahahaha!! Please Mr. Scientist, tell us more!

I retracted my statement about scientists. However there is a cancer researcher on my block and he is liberal, hehe. As for professors I find it laughable that you would challenge me on that point.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
from the New York Times

The current administration distorting facts for a policy goal??? I find that hard to believe. They have proven to be 100% credible.

These guys have no credibility- probably paid off by the commi-libs. I know I would lie if given enough money.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

I retracted my statement about scientists. However there is a cancer researcher on my block and he is liberal, hehe. As for professors I find it laughable that you would challenge me on that point.

Are these Professor Scientists or Professor Social Scientists?

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Orsorum

All kinds.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

All kinds.

Link to back it up?

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
I mean, its one thing to assume that most minorities are voting Democrat and most uh.... Nascar lovers are voting Republican this year but to assume that brilliant and high qualified individuals are crazy commie-lib hippies (according to you and your friends' stereotypes) is one hell of a stretch. And Nobel Laureates getting paid off? Wheres my tin foil hat?

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004

All kinds.

Link to back it up?

Nope. Just common knowledge around these parts in Kalifornia. The public universities here have always pursued liberal agendas. One of the colleges of a nearby university even has a course requirement for diversity in America.

BTW, where have you been living for the past few decades? In a cave? hehe.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001

All kinds.

Link to back it up?

Nope. Just common knowledge around these parts in Kalifornia. The public universities here have always pursued liberal agendas. One of the colleges of a nearby university even has a course requirement for diversity in America.

BTW, where have you been living for the past few decades? In a cave? hehe.

BTW, where are have you been living??? You're in California, liberal center of the world. Get out of your cave and realize that california (especially any place near San Fran) does not represent the rest of the country.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Science has been politicized by the bushies in ways both shameful and destructive, the whole community likens it to the McCarthy era.

Don't like the data? Appoint a blue-ribbon hatchet job to get the numbers you want. don't want the results of abstinence only sex-ed compared to saner programs? evaluate it in an entirely different way. Don't like the research coming out of a particular govt funded entity? cut their funding, appoint rightwing whackjobs to their governing bodies...

http://www.house.gov/reform/min/politicsandscience/

The Bush Admin is doing the samething with scientific and economic data they did with intelligence on Iraq...

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

So, simply applying the term "liberal" to an individual invalidates anything they might say? If you REALLY think this is true you're a very scary person.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: HardWarrior

So, simply applying the term "liberal" to an individual invalidates anything they might say? If you REALLY think this is true you're a very scary person.

No, it doesn't invalidate anything they might say, but it means that they have collectivist ideals which I strongly disagree with.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001

Wow, geez, I should cancel my application to Bob Jones University, since they use professors too.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
National Public Radio had an article on this tonight (Wednesday 2/18). One of the guys who signed this letter was the National Science Advisor for the Nixon and Ford administration. He said that during that time, neither administration even suggested how a regulatory ruling should be constructed, let alone ordered it. To round up a few other stray thoughts, who in the world could round up and convince 20 Noble Laureates to do something if they didn't want to? These people didn't do this for money, the lesser lights, and there were a total of 60 scientists, are risking careers and funding. And finally, to turn to Dissipate's original foot into mouth insertion, I've got a dollar that says you aren't into the sciences in your education. Then there's the subject of elitism. I would surely hope that both professors and scientists would know more about their fields than I do. When they speak about something on which they have acquired expertise, I listen and integrate it with other concerns and values in my life. If some people knowing more than other people or some people's opinions being more noteworthy than others be elitism; Elitism Live On.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Saying all college professors are liberals is like saying all conservatives are racists.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: HardWarrior

No, it doesn't invalidate anything they might say, but it means that they have collectivist ideals which I strongly disagree with.

Collectivist? That's some REALLY thick paint you're slapping on there, Dis. Besides a few braindead dupes in the general population, there really aren't that many true "collectivists" in our society, are there? On the other hand we have flag-waving jingoists by the untold MILLIONS. :D

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Witling
National Public Radio had an article on this tonight (Wednesday 2/18). One of the guys who signed this letter was the National Science Advisor for the Nixon and Ford administration. He said that during that time, neither administration even suggested how a regulatory ruling should be constructed, let alone ordered it. To round up a few other stray thoughts, who in the world could round up and convince 20 Noble Laureates to do something if they didn't want to? These people didn't do this for money, the lesser lights, and there were a total of 60 scientists, are risking careers and funding. And finally, to turn to Dissipate's original foot into mouth insertion, I've got a dollar that says you aren't into the sciences in your education. Then there's the subject of elitism. I would surely hope that both professors and scientists would know more about their fields than I do. When they speak about something on which they have acquired expertise, I listen and integrate it with other concerns and values in my life. If some people knowing more than other people or some people's opinions being more noteworthy than others be elitism; Elitism Live On.

Well said...