Scientist who believes in God!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Rob9874
Originally posted by: jman19

Who cares? Lots of scientists say they believe in god.

OK, so I didn't put much explanation behind it. This is a new commentary, from cnn.com's main page today, by Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D., the director of the Human Genome Project. A pretty prominent scientist, who actually presents an intellectual argument against atheism in his book. Of course the atheists here aren't interested. They're not interested in hearing both sides and deciding for themselves. They just pay attention to anything that supports their blind faith that there is no God.

Please remember religion is a belief system. You can not effectively argue beliefs. Either you believe or you don't.

This guy believes in god, good for him. I do not care what he believes in as long as he does not insist that I have to agree with him.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
From TFA:

I had to admit that the science I loved so much was powerless to answer questions such as "What is the meaning of life?" "Why am I here?" "Why does mathematics work, anyway?" "If the universe had a beginning, who created it?" "Why are the physical constants in the universe so finely tuned to allow the possibility of complex life forms?" "Why do humans have a moral sense?" "What happens after we die?"

It's a shame that such a supposedly smart guy seems to completely miss the point of science. "We don't know yet" is a perfectly valid answer to those questions. He appears to discount completely the possibility that science could someday answer some of those questions.