Scientist Predicts Mini Ice Age in next few decades...

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
On a positive note, if true, this will end man-made global warming overhype for good. On a sour note, it will result in much human suffering and death.

Might want to start stockpiling those down jackets: The sun could nod off by 2030, triggering what scientists are describing as a “mini ice age.”

Professor Vlentina Zharkova of Northumbira University presented the frigid findings at the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno, Wales. Modern technology has made us able to predict solar cycles with much greater accuracy, and Zharkova’s model predicts that solar activity will drop by more than half between 2030 and 2040.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/van-winkles/winter-is-coming-scientis_b_7787664.html

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Oh no. Not river freezing temperatures! We are DOOOOOOMED!

Poor people will be doomed since you would have to transport water by truck which means the cost of water will go up substantially. At the very least people reliant on food stamps will find governments severely challenged to fund this price increase.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Most of the deniers on Fox don't believe the earth is older than 6000 years
So what they were farming in a vaccum?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Sorry bud we already likely stopped the next ice age.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2460536

Lol. you said...

(Personally I'm in the glad we lucked out and stopped the next ice age, now let's take responsibility and dial back the heat so we don't pay for warming to much camp.)

So you believe CO2 has just reaped the biggest success in man's history, the complete defeat of ice age cooling....... but..... it is still horrible.....

How can you believe both things at the same time and keep your sanity?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Lol. you said...

So you believe CO2 has just reaped the biggest success in man's history, the complete defeat of ice age cooling....... but..... it is still horrible.....

Does this help?
120px-Speed_limit_70_minimum_40_sign.svg.png

Maybe this?
Historical Scientific treatise on appropriate ranges

To little greenhouse effect and our standard of living drops because it's too cold. To much and they drop because it's too hot. Just enough and they continue to grow.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Lol. you said...

During the last glacial maximum, ice sheets covered the state of Wisconsin. While most people wouldn't care, I suppose the ones living there wouldn't like it.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
Either way the Secular Humanists realize that they need their version of the Rapture to keep the sheep in line, and to otherwise exploit them. Worship through us, because the end of the world is coming!

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Either way the Secular Humanists realize that they need their version of the Rapture to keep the sheep in line, and to otherwise exploit them. Worship through us, because the end of the world is coming!

Please tell me that is sarcasm.

Otherwise, have you had a concussion recently?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
During the last glacial maximum, ice sheets covered the state of Wisconsin. While most people wouldn't care, I suppose the ones living there wouldn't like it.
I shouldn't care for it myself. I did a job recently in Wisconsin, and our year-end inspection would be quite inconvenient under 10 meters of ice.

Something surprising to me is the number of places that have set record lows within the last decade or so. One thing I have to do is to look at historical highs and lows in each area in which I work, and although I seldom see recent record highs, I've seen a LOT of record lows. (These are absolute records, not for a particular day.) It's weird how many places in America are pushing the minus 40 mark.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
On a positive note, if true, this will end man-made global warming overhype for good. On a sour note, it will result in much human suffering and death.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/van-winkles/winter-is-coming-scientis_b_7787664.html
It isn't about solar activity such as, you know, the sun fusing hydrogen atoms into helium and releasing massive amounts of solar radiation, but sun spot activity.

In other news, gravity and the strong nuclear force are both still just theories that are not laws, and are still subject to further review. I'm sure if you go jump out of a 10 story building that it's possible for your atoms and the atoms of the ground to slide by each other, allowing you a quick trip to the other side of the planet!

http://phys.org/news/2015-11-dug-tunnel-earth.html

42 minutes to travel anywhere on the planet.

Also, the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
1998 and 2010 were actually warmer if the satellite data is to be believed.

Yes but looking at satellite data alone is a really bad idea. When you look at all the data 2015 is the warmest by a long shot.

This is an interesting article that has a good video attached. It talks about how climate change deniers tend to fixate on satellite data due to a natural human tendency towards confirmation bias.

http://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2016/01/over-reliance-on-satellite-data-alone-criticized/

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Yes but looking at satellite data alone is a really bad idea. When you look at all the data 2015 is the warmest by a long shot.

This is an interesting article that has a good video attached. It talks about how climate change deniers tend to fixate on satellite data due to a natural human tendency towards confirmation bias.

http://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2016/01/over-reliance-on-satellite-data-alone-criticized/

Yea at least the deniers use raw data. Proponents always CHANGE the data to match predictions (every single piece of data is modified to meet their narrative). They are doing it openly now. It is simply a matter of time before they begin to skew the satellite data. Proponents actively bar skeptics from publishing, drive skeptics from their jobs, etc.... This will go down as a dark age in climate science. Hansen and his goons will be remembered as anti-scientist propagandists who hindered and obstructed real science and cost the world trillions of dollars.

No worries though, each year more and more heroic scientists risk their livelihoods in order to get the truth out. One of them will surely win the Nobel Prize eventually when reality is finally accepted.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yea at least the deniers use raw data. Proponents always CHANGE the data to match predictions (every single piece of data is modified to meet their narrative). They are doing it openly now. It is simply a matter of time before they begin to skew the satellite data. Proponents actively bar skeptics from publishing, drive skeptics from their jobs, etc.... This will go down as a dark age in climate science. Hansen and his goons will be remembered as anti-scientist propagandists who hindered and obstructed real science and cost the world trillions of dollars.

No worries though, each year more and more heroic scientists risk their livelihoods in order to get the truth out. One of them will surely win the Nobel Prize eventually when reality is finally accepted.

The satellite data that is used is not 'raw' in any way, shape, or form. It never has been. In fact, satellite data requires more adjustments to be accurate than surface temperature data does.

It is very telling that you didn't know this but were still willing to uncritically accept satellite data. You're a fantastic example of the confirmation bias that afflicts science deniers.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The satellite data that is used is not 'raw' in any way, shape, or form. It never has been. In fact, satellite data requires more adjustments to be accurate than surface temperature data does.

It is very telling that you didn't know this but were still willing to uncritically accept satellite data. You're a fantastic example of the confirmation bias that afflicts science deniers.

It's the type of single-source data you need when it serves your purpose to confirm biases (all that other data is just wrong and superfluous), but is problematic when far too much data (evolution) is just never enough to challenge biases.

Nov 30, 2006

Your link is inaccurate which begs the question of credibility...orbital decay corrections have been made to the data in recent years for the RSS and UAH temperature records. Both of these independent satellite records track very closely now...past criticisms have been addressed. The marked divergence of the surface record and LT satellite data continues. It's a fucking shame they don't have sea buckets in space.