Scientific study of Psilocybin Mushroms (aka "magic mushrooms") shows it gives humans life changing mystical experiences

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: Tom
how does a "scientific" study define "mystical experiences" ?

LOL

They did controlled study with random participants and reported what the users experienced? :p

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Ummm seriously, how can this be a real study? EVERYONE knows thats what 'shrooms do, thats why people use them. Sounds just like a good way into justifying your drug use to me. What are they gonna go say next, LSD makes you see hallucinate? or maybe morphine gets rid of pain?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Ummm seriously, how can this be a real study? EVERYONE knows thats what 'shrooms do, thats why people use them. Sounds just like a good way into justifying your drug use to me. What are they gonna go say next, LSD makes you see hallucinate? or maybe morphine gets rid of pain?

Anecdotal evidence is not scientific. That's the point.

JMWarren

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2003
Similar studies with similar results were done on LSD when it was first discovered.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
And MDMA was used as a therapeutic drug by psychiatrists. It'll be a long time (if ever) before the USA accepts recreational drug use as something other than a criminal act.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Phokus

it is if it is used in a scientific experiment. You basically just made the claim that a majority of psych studies are not scientific.

This is a classic psych experiment. Give a person a drug, see how they feel. How do you think they test depression drugs to see if they stop depression. They give half the group a placebo and half the group the drug. Then they use anecdotal evidence to justify their claim. There is no physical evidence to measure as to whether a person is depressed or not. There is no scope that tells you how they feel. You ask them . Doctors and scientist do it all the time.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: SirStev0

it is if it is used in a scientific experiment. You basically just made the claim that a majority of psych studies are not scientific.

This is a classic psych experiment. Give a person a drug, see how they feel. How do you think they test depression drugs to see if they stop depression. They give half the group a placebo and half the group the drug. Then they use anecdotal evidence to justify their claim. There is no physical evidence to measure as to whether a person is depressed or not. There is no scope that tells you how they feel. You ask them . Doctors and scientist do it all the time.

I worded that wrong, sorry. I completely agree with you. What i meant by anecdotal evidence was someone just reporting their experiences in an uncontrolled environment, rather than in a more controlled environment (like this one)

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I still don't see how you can call a study scientific when the conclusion is people have "mystical experiences".

you can conduct the study scientifically, but that doesn't make it a scientific study. Unless someone knows wtf a "mystical experience" is ?

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co...rticle/2006/07/10/AR2006071001304.html
Bill Hicks once said that he grew a 'third eye' when he used it.
Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the merely imaginations of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather. - bill hicks

I used to have that quote in my sig :thumbsup:

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Feldenak
And MDMA was used as a therapeutic drug by psychiatrists. It'll be a long time (if ever) before the USA accepts recreational drug use as something other than a criminal act.

So was LSD.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Four people said the entire session was dominated by anxiety or psychological struggle.

Nichols thinks that last finding should give people pause.

"I think these drugs are potentially very dangerous,"
he said. "I would be very disappointed if in any sense these results were used to encourage recreational use of these compounds. I wouldn't want to take responsibility for anyone under unmonitored conditions coming up with those feelings."

I used to take alot of shrooms for spiritual expansion, recreational use etc. etc. etc. and I can completly agree with the bolded statement. If you are depressed or anxious there is a chance that you could have a terrible time and take a turn for the worst.

I remember taking them with some friends of mine (at the time I was going through alot stress and depression) and thinking I had died. It ws terrible and only worsened my depression for months after.

Not all trips can be damaging, but it only takes one doesn't it.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Tom
I still don't see how you can call a study scientific when the conclusion is people have "mystical experiences".

you can conduct the study scientifically, but that doesn't make it a scientific study. Unless someone knows wtf a "mystical experience" is ?
From the (original) article:

Materials and methods The participants were hallucinogen-naïve adults reporting regular participation in religious or spiritual activities. Two or three sessions were conducted at 2-month intervals. Thirty volunteers received orally administered psilocybin (30 mg/70 kg) and methylphenidate hydrochloride (40 mg/70 kg) in counterbalanced order. To obscure the study design, six additional volunteers received methylphenidate in the first two sessions and unblinded psilocybin in a third session. The 8-h sessions were conducted individually. Volunteers were encouraged to close their eyes and direct their attention inward. Study monitors rated volunteers? behavior during sessions. Volunteers completed questionnaires assessing drug effects and mystical experience immediately after and 2 months after sessions. Community observers rated changes in the volunteer?s attitudes and behavior.
Results Psilocybin produced a range of acute perceptual changes, subjective experiences, and labile moods including anxiety. Psilocybin also increased measures of mystical experience. At 2 months, the volunteers rated the psilocybin experience as having substantial personal meaning and spiritual significance and attributed to the experience sustained positive changes in attitudes and behavior consistent with changes rated by community observers.
Conclusions When administered under supportive conditions, psilocybin occasioned experiences similar to spontaneously occurring mystical experiences. The ability to occasion such experiences prospectively will allow rigorous scientific investigations of their causes and consequences.