Schwarzenegger (R) Fails to Build Broad Support in CA (Legislature)

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
EDIT: Adjusted thread title ...

Let's see how far Arnold has gotten so far:

1.) His plan for massive borrowing via a bond measure to pay off CA debt was rejected.

2.) His plan for spending caps was shot down 34-0.

3.) He's now fallen back to "plan B" which will have CA borrow $10.7 billion without voter approval. The borrowing plan was authorized by the Legislature last summer as part of the budget agreement signed by former Gov. Gray Davis and was heavily criticized by Arnold.

4.) He's stated over and over that the people of CA should vote on any large bond measures, but has quietly authorized the California Fiscal Recovery Financing Authority, an entity Arnold has control over, to move forward with the borrowing of $10.7 B with no vote by the people.

5.) He repealed the "CA Car Tax" which has forced CA further into the hole.

Don't send a half-wit actor to do a politician's job. ;)

CNN.com - California legislature rejects Schwarzenegger's budget plan

SACRAMENTO (AP) -- In a setback for Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, California's legislature rejected his proposed spending cap and $15 billion bond measure late Friday. Democratic alternatives also failed to pass.

The Legislature's failure to come up with two-thirds majorities for either proposal by the midnight deadline means the plans won't be on the spring primary ballot as Schwarzenegger had desired.

Schwarzenegger must now seek an alternative to the large bond issue and spending cap proposal he hoped voters would ratify March 2.

Republicans said Schwarzenegger's proposals were reasonable and warned they would try to put an even tougher spending limit plan on the November ballot if the attempt to put a spring ballot plan together failed.

Democrats said the governor's spending limit would strangle education and other state programs and his bond measure would burden state budgets for years.

"When you are bleeding you apply a tourniquet, not a noose," said Assemblyman Lloyd Levine.

Democrats proposed a bond measure that would be paid off over seven years instead of 15 and a spending cap that was less restrictive than Schwarzenegger's, but failed to get the necessary two-thirds majorities.

Senators voted 34-0 against the governor's plan to cap spending. The governor's bond measure also lost, with only five lawmakers, all Democrats, voting for it and 14 lawmakers voting no. The Assembly also failed to approve any proposal and adjurned minutes before is midnight Friday deadline.

Earlier Friday, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger quietly gave the green light to a plan to borrow $10.7 billion without voter approval -- a plan he had previously criticized.

The plan was authorized by the Legislature last summer as part of the budget agreement signed by former Gov. Gray Davis.

Schwarzenegger said shortly after being elected in the Oct. 7 recall election that voters should approve the bonds -- and has said for weeks there would be no alternative to his proposal to put a $15 billion bond measure on the spring ballot.

But Friday, members of the California Fiscal Recovery Financing Authority voted to move forward with the $10.7 billion bond sale. The governor controls five of the seven members of the board.

Taxpayer groups and many Republican lawmakers had criticized the Davis bond deal, arguing that voters should approve borrowing of that magnitude.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

1.) His plan for massive borrowing via a bond measure to pay off CA debt was rejected.

3.) He's now fallen back to "plan B" which will have CA borrow $10.7 billion without voter approval. The borrowing plan was authorized by the Legislature last summer as part of the budget agreement signed by former Gov. Gray Davis and was heavily criticized by Arnold.

4.) He's stated over and over that the people of CA should vote on any large bond measures, but has quietly authorized the California Fiscal Recovery Financing Authority, an entity Arnold has control over, to move forward with the borrowing of $10.7 B with no vote by the people.

SACRAMENTO (AP) -- In a setback for Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, California's legislature rejected his proposed spending cap and $15 billion bond measure late Friday. Democratic alternatives also failed to pass.

The Legislature's failure to come up with two-thirds majorities for either proposal by the midnight deadline means the plans won't be on the spring primary ballot as Schwarzenegger had desired.

Schwarzenegger must now seek an alternative to the large bond issue and spending cap proposal he hoped voters would ratify March 2.

Republicans said Schwarzenegger's proposals were reasonable and warned they would try to put an even tougher spending limit plan on the November ballot if the attempt to put a spring ballot plan together failed.

Democrats said the governor's spending limit would strangle education and other state programs and his bond measure would burden state budgets for years.

"When you are bleeding you apply a tourniquet, not a noose," said Assemblyman Lloyd Levine.

Democrats proposed a bond measure that would be paid off over seven years instead of 15 and a spending cap that was less restrictive than Schwarzenegger's, but failed to get the necessary two-thirds majorities.

Senators voted 34-0 against the governor's plan to cap spending. The governor's bond measure also lost, with only five lawmakers, all Democrats, voting for it and 14 lawmakers voting no. The Assembly also failed to approve any proposal and adjurned minutes before is midnight Friday deadline.

Earlier Friday, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger quietly gave the green light to a plan to borrow $10.7 billion without voter approval -- a plan he had previously criticized.

The plan was authorized by the Legislature last summer as part of the budget agreement signed by former Gov. Gray Davis.

Schwarzenegger said shortly after being elected in the Oct. 7 recall election that voters should approve the bonds -- and has said for weeks there would be no alternative to his proposal to put a $15 billion bond measure on the spring ballot.

But Friday, members of the California Fiscal Recovery Financing Authority voted to move forward with the $10.7 billion bond sale. The governor controls five of the seven members of the board.

Taxpayer groups and many Republican lawmakers had criticized the Davis bond deal, arguing that voters should approve borrowing of that magnitude.

So the democratic legislature only wants to raise taxes i see.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

And the suprise?;)

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison

So the democratic legislature only wants to raise taxes i see.

CA democrats are pissing me off. They'll never get my vote ever again :)

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
For the love of god, please stop quoting the whole article! :)

Frankly, I expected more "action" out of this governor. I wanted to see some real change in CA. Unfortunately, all we've gotten thus far is Arnold whipping out the Platinum AMEX issued by the Bank 'o the People and proceeding to charge up a storm. I expected a combination of: spending reductions, cuts in services, small increases in taxes and fees - you know, responsible fiscal policies that won't mortgage California's future. If this was Terminator IV "Rise of the Bond Package Machines" I'd have walked out of the theater a long time ago.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
For the love of god, please stop quoting the whole article! :)

Frankly, I expected more "action" out of this governor. I wanted to see some real change in CA. Unfortunately, all we've gotten thus far is Arnold whipping out the Platinum AMEX issued by the Bank 'o the People and proceeding to charge up a storm. I expected a combination of: spending reductions, cuts in services, small increases in taxes and fees - you know, responsible fiscal policies that won't mortgage California's future. If this was Terminator IV "Rise of the Bond Package Machines" I'd have walked out of the theater a long time ago.

Talk the legislature at this point. He has proposed spending cuts and the leg does not want to pass it. It is time for the govinator to take thiis to the people and get some changed passed.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Talk about misleading Titles. He has broad support, just not in the Democratically controlled Legislature.
rolleye.gif

Looks like as "expected" he will have to "muscle" with the idiots that won't get elected when their time comes up.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

The governor can't really do much w/o the approval of the legislature as this article shows. Thus is our system of democracy... If you voted for Arnold thinking he would make sweeping changes (like the ones he said he would do in his campaign), I'm sorry to tell you it ain't going to happen. Don't necessarily blame him though, like I said, he can't really do much. Of course, Gray Davis had the same trouble before we ousted him... but Arnold still better than that tool.

Unfortunately, this is how our forefathers built this system of democracy. I must credit them for the stability of it, but it is ever so slowly is crumbling from its onset. Too much democracy is a bad thing... change is too difficult to ever come by, especially the bitter ones that we should take but will never vote for.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Democratically controlled Legislature

The key word is "controlled" I am supprised that the dems controlled the vote of the R's.
R's and D's both voted against his offer.

Bleep

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
So, what I'm hearing is that we've dumped Davis who was an ineffectual dipsh!t, in favor of Arnold who promised to change Sacramento and get our fiscal house in order. Only now that he's not getting us anywhere except deeper in the hole, I'm hearing that it's OK for Arnold to be ineffectual, because it's the legislature's fault. Blah, blah, blah. Lame excuses. That's what I'm hearing. We've swapped one gumby for a slightly different gumby.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
So, what I'm hearing is that we've dumped Davis who was an ineffectual dipsh!t, in favor of Arnold who promised to change Sacramento and get our fiscal house in order. Only now that he's not getting us anywhere except deeper in the hole, I'm hearing that it's OK for Arnold to be ineffectual, because it's the legislature's fault. Blah, blah, blah. Lame excuses. That's what I'm hearing. We've swapped one gumby for a slightly different gumby.

Well time will tell if arnold is a gumby yet. Lets give him a little bit of time and see if he can get some change.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Baloney. After the tax was enabled, car sales in California fell by nearly 40% and overall sales tax revenue FELL. People aren't stupid.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have nothing against Arnold and it seems the situation is out of his hands, but what of the Republicans who made such a fuss over Davis? It seems like the whole campaign to oust Davis may turn out to be a complete farce and waste of time. Shouldn't they have known that replacing just 1 person(governor) was pointless and would result in nothing? Did they just waste everyone's time and money?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
I have nothing against Arnold and it seems the situation is out of his hands, but what of the Republicans who made such a fuss over Davis? It seems like the whole campaign to oust Davis may turn out to be a complete farce and waste of time. Shouldn't they have known that replacing just 1 person(governor) was pointless and would result in nothing? Did they just waste everyone's time and money?

you forget that there was a large number of democrats that were unhappy with davis's performance.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Arnold is the governor. His base of political power is the folks who voted for him. The political machine in California works in strange ways. It is a progression up the ladder. With term limits it has been changed to be this. Davis in '74 was Jerry's Chief of Staff. He garnered great support in that role and it carried him to the state mansion. No one should doubt what is being played out now is two games. One game is to diffuse the 'Arnold the savior' concept because that could endanger many of the current office holders from reelection or upward movement. They, the real power in the state, will mosey on down the road putting the Federal Tail on the fiscal problems of California. A vote of 34 to 0 must be seen as the first slap at Arnold. The second game is to recognize just where the fiscal problems arise from. Any one can look at the budget inflows and see the dramatic drop in revenue. That is tax dollars lost due to unemployment and some even due to business restructure. Not business flight (although some of that has occurred) folks are consolidating in areas where it is most cost beneficial to them. Kentucky and other states have much more favorable labor rates etc. California has a standard of living that requires a suitable wage to exist. The problem in California is Californian folks need becoming poor so business will come here to avail themselves of cheap labor. Our housing market has to hit bottom and the 2,000,000$ homes have to be priced at 125,000$ and then we will be able to attract business. Our problems are just beginning, I think.

edit to clear up "and some even due to business restructure".. I'm speaking of the business income tax.. Business flight to me is a company moving due to restrictive regulations in California.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: sandorski

you forget that there was a large number of democrats that were unhappy with davis's performance.

Perhaps, but as I understand it the whole Recall campaign was started by Republicans shortly after the last election. Were Democrats so unhappy as to start the Recall?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Congressman Issa started the recall with his own $. It was his attempt to circumvent the republican selection process and get into the California Governor's mansion via his backers in the party. They were well motivated and funded. Davis beat the offering put forth by the Republican party because the party felt it was just too risky to jump in at this point (economy, 2nd term, Davis support, low name recognition, '06 was a better bet) and lose and end a career.. Issa felt differently. He was not going to get the backing to run against Boxer either. Issa had no upward mobility in sight. He also had the arrest as an anchor to any Federal high level posts. In the end, he got thwarted anyhow. He is upset over this as well.
No links cuz ... lets just say... take it or leave it. It is not my assessment of the situation but, the talk of 'placed' folks. And, I'd say obvious.

The fiscal woes of California require either a lot less people living here or jobs that provide the wage needed to exist here. The jobs won't be coming due to the necessary wage demands (manufacturing) and the service and support will be drying up too as folks see gold in them there hills of West Virginia and India. The best we can hope for here is a general raise in taxes and massive reduction in expenditure especially in Education which gobbles up vast amounts of the general fund revenue.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Congressman Issa started the recall with his own $. It was his attempt to circumvent the republican selection process and get into the California Governor's mansion via his backers in the party. They were well motivated and funded. Davis beat the offering put forth by the Republican party because the party felt it was just too risky to jump in at this point (economy, 2nd term, Davis support, low name recognition, '06 was a better bet) and lose and end a career.. Issa felt differently. He was not going to get the backing to run against Boxer either. Issa had no upward mobility in sight. He also had the arrest as an anchor to any Federal high level posts. In the end, he got thwarted anyhow. He is upset over this as well.
No links cuz ... lets just say... take it or leave it. It is not my assessment of the situation but, the talk of 'placed' folks. And, I'd say obvious.

The fiscal woes of California require either a lot less people living here or jobs that provide the wage needed to exist here. The jobs won't be coming due to the necessary wage demands (manufacturing) and the service and support will be drying up too as folks see gold in them there hills of West Virginia and India. The best we can hope for here is a general raise in taxes and massive reduction in expenditure especially in Education which gobbles up vast amounts of the general fund revenue.

Ah ok, so it was a rogue Republican and not the Republican party. One good thing to come of this is that he didn't succeed in buying the governorship(in a matter of speaking), perhaps preventing another schmuck from wasting everybody's time/money in the future with(seemingly)no positive result/change.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
So, when is the petition to recall A.S. going to be filed?

-Robert, who likes to see states have elections twice a year.

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
DM you are so off base here. How in the world can Ahnold convice the SBL(Socialist Buffoon Legislature) to do anything if they are so one sided and digging their heels in? Blackmail? Personal Threats? Mind Control? You expect Ahnold to go behind their backs, sign a few bills here and there, and break the Law just like Davis did with the illegal tripling of the Car Tax? What logical answer do you have when the SBL is preventing any changes whatsoever to their crazed spending habits, and attempts to fix the Budget problems.IF THEY WONT MOVE, NOTHING WILL MOVE! This isnt a dictatorship if you havnt noticed.

Don't send a half-wit actor to do a politician's job

Its so easily forgotten that your beloved "politicians" that got us into this mess in the first place. Ill take a Half-Wit anything a career "Politician".

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
The car tax was passed in Wilson's administration.. I'm pretty sure.. anyway the full impact of the law was reduced because of the surplus a few years back.. it is not or was not illegal.

The spending was reduced under Davis but he cannot increase revenue given the massive loss of jobs and the new ones pay so much less that the tax revenue is bound to drop.. what 26%..
No one can fix this with out first fixing the issue of number of folks demanding the service and the number paying taxes..

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
The car tax was passed in Wilson's administration.. I'm pretty sure.. anyway the full impact of the law was reduced because of the surplus a few years back.. it is not or was not illegal.

The State Controller is responsible for making determinations relative to the Car Tax trigger. (Davis and Westly opined that a phantom bureaucrat could pull the trigger)

The Car Tax cannot be raised unless the State runs out of cash. (not when the state realizes a deficit, as asserted by Davis and Westly)

The State Controller must evaluate the fiscal situation each month at the time the DMV sends its notification of VLF receipts and offsets applied, and make a determination as to whether there are sufficient funds to fully or partially restore the offsets. (Davis and Westly did not address this issue)

Yes, it was illegal.

Wolfdog

Aug 25, 2001
Neither side of the republicans or the democrats seem to get the clue. It is no longer about giving themselves pay raises and the like, people want to see change. Real change. When the election comes up next year don't just vote party line, vote for the person that can get the job done the first time. Hopefully that means laying off all the legislatures and governing bodies that have proven themselves to be worthless. I feel sorry of Arnold, since the govenorship is only a small piece in governing a state. Those that are living in california should be calling, writing, and steaking out thier place of residence to affect change. Make your opinon known to your elected officials, and don't let them to the beucrateese dance to get out of it. It should be fairly obvious that business as usual is what got everyone in the mess to begin with.