Schools focus on America's flaws, report says

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
The nation's public schools offer students plenty about America's failings but not enough about its values and freedoms, says a report drawing support across the ideological spectrum.
Without a change of approach, schools will continue to turn out large numbers of students who are disengaged in society and unappreciative of democracy, the report contends.

The complete article.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
excellent report and how un-surprising. for all their pollyannish enthusiasm, multicultural programs churn out zombies instead of students. such 'worldly'
knowledge, and nothing of substance to show for it other than crass relativism.

a prime example where today's students could be better grounded in the world's events would be to recruit prominent political victims of the iraqi ba'ath
party and have them conduct lecturing tours throughout the u.s. and europe to educate these kids about the sinister nature of these totalitarian regimes
in all there nightmarish detail. holocaust survivors have been doing the same for decades. i think they are already doing this on the college level, but there
is a more urgent need for this in highschool.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001

skimming through the stream of idiocies posted on the link above would be a perfect object lesson for our malnourished high-schoolers. ask these
same fools how they are able to post these comments ? what policies, institutions, principles, and ways of life make their posting of such witless
comments possible ? students would quickly learn through simple contrast why such activity is possible here and why the same activity would not
be possible in such revolutionary resorts towns like north korea, iran, saudi arabia, and the former ba'athi iraq, among other totalitarian paradises,
past, present, and in the planning. it doesn't take much. perhaps a little more 'balance', as one fark poster characterized it, would be a whole
universe better than the feel-good prozac shyte currently being peddled in poli-sci courses.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Glad you posted this report. I read the same on CNN last night.

And we wonder about objectivity in the classroom nowadays......

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
The nation's public schools offer students plenty about America's failings but not enough about its values and freedoms, says a report drawing support across the ideological spectrum.
What a coincidence, every other nation's public schools focus on America's flaws, too.

Surely French school books will tell the story that France's opposition to the invasion of Iraq was purely based in principle, not the many tens of billions French companies had vested in the Hussein regime, while America's interests there were purely economic. ;)

Oct 16, 1999
Something about learning from your mistakes comes to mind... But I'll agree, the good things (potential or realized) about America have rarely been emphasized during my schoolastic career.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
at ivy league and other top schools, the ratio of professors registered with the democratic to republican party averaged 15 to 1. what do you expect?

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Gonad the Barbarian
Something about learning from your mistakes comes to mind... But I'll agree, the good things (potential or realized) about America have rarely been emphasized during my schoolastic career.

Well said. I too have come across this situation. Its no wonder people dont believe in America as much as people used to. They focus too much on what has gone wrong in our history and neglected what we have done right. I do believe that we should teach our students about our failures in order so we can learn from them, but those do have to be kept in perspective. Thats what we have lost in our curriculum.