School Suspended An 11 Year Old for Carrying A Tweety Bird Chain To School - WTF!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SilentBoB

Golden Member
Nov 13, 1999
Did you see the related story about the 13-year old girl who got suspended for having Midol? It was bad enough that she got in trouble for it, but even worse that everyone heard about her "woman problems" on the news! Man, she must have been REALLY embarrassed.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
I COULD be used a weapon, which is what is important.
Frankly, IMO, they went just a tad too far with that....

urbantechie

Banned
Jun 28, 2000

<< Did you guys see that story on 20/20 where the kid took the knife away from his suicidal friend(who did try to kill herself a few weeks later) and got suspended for it. >>

Yep. School this days eh?

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Let's put it this way - what's more dangerous - that plastic keychain or a pair of fists? I'd put my money on the fists. If you ever got in a fight or wanted to attack someone, why the hell would you opt to use a keychain?! I shouldn't even say anything - next thing you know, fists will get outlawed. Too many damn idiots in this world, but what ya gonna do...

stomp

Oct 9, 1999
Those sharp edges corners on pieces of paper... damn, someone could really hold up a school with that... we need etcha-sketches that are superglued to the desks to prevent people from killing each other with paper and pencils. Or we need to ban all rectangular paper in favor of round cardboard with padded edges.

just like all that crap at my totalitarian middle school - no backpacks, no coats, no use of lockers except during designated 4 minute intervals in occurrence 3 times a day... you know, so that these kids can feel pain and not bring drugs to class.

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
These sorts of things are the reason I'm considering getting out of teaching in my 22nd year. The schools are being run by paper-pushing bureaucrats and the only thing that matters about anything is how it looks on paper. They will actually tell you that their main concerns are finances then liability then education. When did education become the number three concern in the education system?

Consolidation may be good for the pocketbook, but it's terrible for the well-being of the kids. Sure, you can have some better facilities and equipment, but the quality of individual attention goes down drastically.

Another problem is the number of children in the schools today with emotional and psychological problems caused by their idiot parents who think their fun is more important than the well-being of their children. They don't have time to be bothered by them. They think you're joking if you bring up the concept of sacrificing for your kids.

kru

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 1999
Isla, ever think about raising your kids in another country? :) I grew up in the philippines and spent 12 years in the same school. It was an International School and we had kids there from about 50 different countries. Our graduating senior class was under 200 kids, but the degree of diversity there was just amazing. I never really appreciated it until I came over to the U.S. for college, but the greatest lesson I took from that whole experience was a very high degree of tolerance. Which isn't to say that sorta thing isn't available over here...but just that kind of exposure to so many different cultures and lifestyles from all over the globe was something I'd definitely want my kids to have.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
montanafan

Don't give up. My mother taught for over 30 years in the system, and she touched the lives of many children. People still come up to us in public places and say &quot;Oh, you were my favorite teacher!&quot; when they see her. I'm very proud of her. :)

kru

Ahhhhh.... that sounds nice. You can't get that around here, and the private schools available mostly have rich kids who think they are better than everyone else. There is always parochial school, but the closest one is 20 miles away! :( Anyway, I'm glad someone had a good experience in school. It must have been a shock when you got here!

Peace~

PS FettsBabe

I grew up down the street from yakko. Tampa Bay! Tampa Bay! :)

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
Christ the King or St. Lawrence can't be too far away from where you live, if you still live in Tampa, Isla.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Hello and Good Morning AMD :)

Very good schools! We are considering Academy of Holy Names, too.

If not, I really may end up homeschooling, although it isn't my first choice. I'd like to have more time for a career in there somewhere!

edit: Actually, I just had a semi-brilliant idea.... I could teach at a private school, and take the rugrats with me! That may be the final answer.

Recneps

Jul 2, 2000
Schools are runned by idotis. All the teachers make are this gay assed rebrices that no one can tell how the hell they work. LoL my justice teacher was saying yesterday how he had to come up with a check list to see if the students are &quot;civic minded&quot;.

They school board also fired a teacher because she was doing work at an ivly league collage and wanted to work part time. LoL now all the harder bio classes are taught by the same person and there are like 30 kids in a class where before there was 16.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Given today's standards, I would likely have been expelled at my high school. I was a good student but one year I had to psychically put down a trouble-maker on the bus. At the time all that came of it was a brief talk with the principal. I had no past &quot;record&quot; and was pardoned in 60 seconds. Today I'd be suspended at best, expelled at worse (that is unless Jesse Jackson came to my rescue...unlikely).