School pays $95,000 in fees for picture of Jesus

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
We're not violating the law and the picture is legal because it has historical significance. It hasn't hurt anyone... I'm certainly not going to run down there and take the picture down because some group from Madison, Wis., who knows nothing about the culture of our community or why the picture is even there, wants me to take it down.

Sounds like this is another instance of liberal tolerance. So much for cultural diversity. And liberals wonder why Republicans want to eliminate public schools...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
How many times does the aclu get involved with a banks history or lending? There is evidence that minorities were pushed towards high interest loans before the housing crash of 2008. Why isn't the aclu going after the banks for those loans?

Nice distraction. While the banks are scummy and any of us would agree deserve far more serious punitive action for their scummy practices, none of this particular greed and scumminess violated federal or constitutional law, or violated anyone's civil liberties--which is what the ACLU targets.

The problem there is the law; and more specifically the decades of repealing regulation after regulation that prevented banks from dragging the country down into their pit of debt while only they made profits. Yet, we still have idiots that want further de-regulation.

If you actually cared about that (maybe you do), you would vote accordingly.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Schools in general have a reputation of telling people to piss off.

and it cost this one $95,000 to tell others to piss off.

Why defend them, then? They shouldn't have to deal with the consequences that they create? I thought personal responsibility was a big deal down in Texas?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Why defend them, then? They shouldn't have to deal with the consequences that they create? I thought personal responsibility was a big deal down in Texas?

The people who made the decisions are not paying for their decisions.

It is the tax payers and the insurance companies that are paying for bad decisions.

Feb 6, 2007

It is the tax payers and the insurance companies that are paying for bad decisions.

The Superintendent may well lose his job over this, we don't know yet. Apart from that, I don't know how you could possibly expect the people making the decisions to "pay for" them.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The Superintendent may well lose his job over this, we don't know yet. Apart from that, I don't know how you could possibly expect the people making the decisions to "pay for" them.

One, lose their job.

Two, they pay part of the fine out of their pocket.

Feb 6, 2007
One, lose their job.

Two, they pay part of the fine out of their pocket.

One is pretty much the way they pay. Two isn't allowed. The Superintendent may have acted with extreme hubris in his initial response, but he was still representing the school, and the school stood behind him rather than immediately firing him and removing the picture. The school is responsible, and that money is paid from their insurance fund (which will invariably be repaid in higher premiums which will be paid by the taxpayers). They don't get to stand behind the leader until it becomes clear it's a losing cause and then throw him under the bus to foot the bill.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Any able to find out who is actually pictured on their Hall of Honor wall?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I would pick out one of the pictures and state that the person offended me and sue the school. Maybe Abraham Lincoln offends me.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Exactly, which is why you, as a tax payer, learn to vote to keep idealistic asshats out of such positions of power. They make mistakes that no one supports, it costs the community money, and they get away with it, the worst punishment being "voted out."

These dumbfuck communities should have learned this after what happened in Dover. Or maybe they are too stuck into their tiny little worlds to consider that everyone else is providing these lessons for them.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Exactly, which is why you, as a tax payer, learn to vote to keep idealistic asshats out of such positions of power. They make mistakes that no one supports, it costs the community money, and they get away with it, the worst punishment being "voted out."

These dumbfuck communities should have learned this after what happened in Dover. Or maybe they are too stuck into their tiny little worlds to consider that everyone else is providing these lessons for them.

Want to bet that 90%+ of people in the community were down with the Jesus picture?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
No. As historical figures Darwin and Mo are more important than historical Jesus (though still not historical giants by any means). Jesus is a very important religious figure but his actions had no historical consequence outside of the religious interpretation of those actions. Mo had some success in Arabia as a conqueror but his religious importance far outstrips his historical impact. It might be appropriate to stick a picture of Darwin up in a biology classroom as his theory has developed into the underlying organizing principle in biology.

That doesn't make sense. If they are more important historical figures, seems like putting them up in Jesus' place would more than make up for any offense.