School monitoring us

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
Our school, Michigan Tech, monitors everything we do on the net. We must pay to use the internet and we can't get other highspeed lines. They also let companies such as MGM and Sony monitor what we are doing. They have already cracked down on some kids for downloading "illegal" music and videos. They say letting us use the internet is a privalige, but I believe it is a service concidering that we pay for it. My question is should they be allowed to do this?

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
down with big brother!!!!!

EDIT: wait...you go to Mich Tech. you like hockey? i went to St Cloud State. :D

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
Not really, they lied to me when I visited and said I can do computer graphics things here through their CS department. They only have on class and it is a computer graphics programming class. I am transferring to Michigan State next year.

Oct 16, 1999
I would be suprised if letting those other companies monitor your usage is not somehow illegal. Regardless, get a student protest together.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
They also let companies such as MGM and Sony monitor what we are doing.

They apparently respect MGM and Sony's money more than your's.

Regardless, get a student protest together.

ditto.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< Not really, they lied to me when I visited and said I can do computer graphics things here through their CS department. They only have on class and it is a computer graphics programming class. I am transferring to Michigan State next year. >>

You went to a college without buying a catalog and looking at the classes they offered? *boggle*

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
it's probably in your network usage agreement. its like that for my school, and i think its total bs. one time i saw that an "admin" from our network was snooping thru my hard drive. 15 minutes later I was a proud new user of zonealarm. No more problems since.