Scholar

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-so-you-can-read-them-for-free-a6964176.html

In many ways, academia has itself to blame for its dilemma. Higher education is a publish-or-perish world in which administrators judge professors based on their scholarly output, basically outsourcing the validation of a scholar’s worth. That gives journals enormous intrinsic value, if not to society then to academics themselves. Brands such as the Academy of Management Annals and the Annual Review of Condensed Matter Physics matter.

Researchers sign over the copyright and provide their work, often taxpayer funded, free to publishers who then get other researchers to review the papers — also free. The publishers then sell journal subscriptions — some titles cost more than $5,000 a year — back to universities and the federal government. And if someone wants an article, that costs about $35, so that person is paying for the research and to read the results.

“That means that I, as a taxpayer, (am) paying for the research and paying again for the benefit of reading it,” a man who identified himself as John Dowd wrote to the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy as part of a forum on public access. “This seems patently unfair.”

Perhaps it's time to reform this industry, sounds like they get paid quite a lot of money (Industry is worth 10 billion i believe) for little service/value added. Any other thoughts?

/edit meant for title to say Scholar version of Napster but i'm still not awake

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
big difference is napster was free and these journals are not.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
apparently she's running a napster for scholar papers...i did some further reading and there appears to be a bill out that targets these scholarly publishers and forces them to make the papers free after a year.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I think the story is a bit overblown. Taxpayer funded work has some mandates in regards to how its published and I'm pretty sure they are required to
1) be open access after a short time period (12 months at maximum)
2) make their data available for review/request by others

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2013/02/us-white-house-announces-open-access-policy.html

Apparently there is a bill that was approved in the senate a few years back but not sure if it ever went to the House.

Anyway, there are indeed major problems with academia and journals.
1) there is an overemphasis on number of publications rather than quality leading to perverse incentives. However other than publications, its really hard to tell who's a productive academic vs who's slouching
2) publication costs are absolutely ridiculous for things a 12 year old can do these days
3) peer review is a joke across the board and in many fields is highly political

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I think the story is a bit overblown. Taxpayer funded work has some mandates in regards to how its published and I'm pretty sure they are required to
1) be open access after a short time period (12 months at maximum)
2) make their data available for review/request by others
Most of what you say is accurate, but not 1). The vast majority of research papers published by American scientists are taxpayer funded. The majority of published papers are not open access after 12 months, at least not those published in the high impact journals.

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015
Open access publishing sounds great until you realize that many journals charge very high fees to publish the paper open access. It's about $3500 in my field. If you're lucky enough to be employed by a university that values open access, they might pay for some of that, but if not, it's up to you. If you're a graduate student or non-tenured faculty, that's prohibitively expensive.