• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

scariest book you've ever read?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
42,826
82
91
last week, I would have said The Shining, but I started reading Amityville Horror this week and wtf! I know the whole thing is like totally fake, but I almost had to sleep with the lights on last night. lol.
 
Feb 16, 2005
13,724
4,661
136
When I was much younger Ghost Story by Peter Straub scared the hell out of me (around 1980). More recently would have been It, by Stephen King. Lately, not too many books scare me, creep me out good, but not outright scare.
 

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
13,416
1
0
Wow, I just read the title of this thread and I came in here to mention Amittyville Horror. That is the one book I could not read the whole way through because it scared ths sh!t outta me.

 

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
8,780
2
76
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Wow, I just read the title of this thread and I came in here to mention Amittyville Horror. That is the one book I could not read the whole way through because it scared ths sh!t outta me.
I need to get this book, I am a horror fan.
 

ondarkness

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2004
2,003
1
81
i wish i could handle reading a book without falling asleep =/
hehe, but if i could, i wouldn't read something scary on purpose!
 

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
43,813
44
91
i'm not a horror fan, especially not movies so i don't tend to read or watch much scary stuff.

I love H.P. Lovecraft though and his stuff is really good. I can't say that I've been scared by it though. I used to read some Dean Koontz when was in HS too.
 

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
5,288
1
81
Stephen King's It ... read it as a 6th grader and haven't stepped on or near a storm drain since :eek:
 

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
26,299
781
126
Britney Spears autobiography of how she's a great wife, mother, and role model
 

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
25,301
1,992
126
If you want to get totally creeped out, read "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston. 10,000 times scarier than anything King ever did because it was true.
 

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
13,416
1
0
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
If you want to get totally creeped out, read "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston. 10,000 times scarier than anything King ever did because it was true.
What's it about?
 

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
1,326
0
0
Originally posted by: loki8481
last week, I would have said The Shining, but I started reading Amityville Horror this week and wtf! I know the whole thing is like totally fake, but I almost had to sleep with the lights on last night. lol.
Amityville Horror has always been the scariest book I've read. I was 12 yrs old at the time and the movie hadn't been made yet. I didn't sleep that night. Adding Misery by King. Cockadoodie Dirty Birds.
 

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
9,020
0
0
Definitely The Shining, although as another poster said, It and Ghost Story were frightening when I read them as a kid. I'll have to check out the Amityville Horror some time.
 

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
5,871
0
76
Wait till Helen comes. I was very young when I read it but I still remember that creapy feeling that I got when I read it.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY