Scared of Microsoft Update.

Yossarian451

Apr 11, 2002
I run a legitimate copy of windows 98, but I am scared of running their critical updates because they are either a trojan of sorts for microsoft, or they just seem to really mess up the system. I just got a critical update for windows media plauer and I just thought, it is porbably not safe to install. This makes me wonder the sad state of affairs. Afraid to download possible fixes is a bad thing.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Yossarian451
I run a legitimate copy of windows 98

Sure. If you say so.

If it was legitimate you wouldn't be worrying about spyware. What makes you think it's not already on your system? OH MY GOD, QUICK! ERASE EVERYTHING! THEY'VE BEEN WATCHING YOU!!

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0
Originally posted by: Yossarian451
I run a legitimate copy of windows 98

Sure. If you say so.

If it was legitimate you wouldn't be worrying about spyware. What makes you think it's not already on your system? OH MY GOD, QUICK! ERASE EVERYTHING! THEY'VE BEEN WATCHING YOU!!
True true. I have some spyware running on his computer right now. Cut down on the p0rn, man.

Yossarian451

Apr 11, 2002
Hmm, actually the first update for Win 98 se cause massive memory leaks on almost everyone's computer who I have talked to. ANd recently they used a Windows Media PLayer to send information back and forth. SO no not pot, pron, or piracy.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: BigDaddyPig
bsobel, I don't think it called for saying he's an idiot.

bsobel didn't post in here. Or was his post deleted?

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Anyone that doesn't worry or care about whether Microsoft or any other software maker is silently divulging, recording, or reporting users with their software 'updates' is an idiot.

Seriously.. how the hell can you not be paranoid when pretty much the only widely-used OS requires you to call for permission every time you install? --and commands $100+ every year or two in upgrade fees? --and why doesn't it piss you off that you're losing control of your own damn computer because of Microsoft?!

Also, this is for the 'idiots' described in the top line: YOUR PERSONAL RECORDS, EMAILS, WEBSITES, AND CONTACTS ARE ALL STORED WHETHER YOU DELETE THEM OR NOT. It is not paranoia; it is a fact. Who's to say that MS doesn't decide it wants these files so it makes a 'critical update' that automatically uploads them.

go to www.fuckmicrosoft.com if you want to read about it

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Also, this is for the 'idiots' described in the top line: YOUR PERSONAL RECORDS, EMAILS, WEBSITES, AND CONTACTS ARE ALL STORED WHETHER YOU DELETE THEM OR NOT. It is not paranoia; it is a fact. Who's to say that MS doesn't decide it wants these files so it makes a 'critical update' that automatically uploads them

Uhhh ok if thats true tell us where?

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
if you're so paranoid, have an old pentium 166 or something, run win98 on it, and use that for all your 'important' stuff (accounting, etc). and don't connect to the internet w/ it.

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: brxndxn
Anyone that doesn't worry or care about whether Microsoft or any other software maker is silently divulging, recording, or reporting users with their software 'updates' is an idiot.

Seriously.. how the hell can you not be paranoid when pretty much the only widely-used OS requires you to call for permission every time you install? --and commands $100+ every year or two in upgrade fees? --and why doesn't it piss you off that you're losing control of your own damn computer because of Microsoft?!

Also, this is for the 'idiots' described in the top line: YOUR PERSONAL RECORDS, EMAILS, WEBSITES, AND CONTACTS ARE ALL STORED WHETHER YOU DELETE THEM OR NOT. It is not paranoia; it is a fact. Who's to say that MS doesn't decide it wants these files so it makes a 'critical update' that automatically uploads them.

go to <a href="http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com">www.fuckmicrosoft.com</A> if you want to read about it

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

My new e-mail addy: unsigned@fuckmicrosoft.com

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: BigDaddyPig
bsobel, I don't think it called for saying he's an idiot.

bsobel didn't post in here. Or was his post deleted?

I did, someone must not have liked it. Whoops (and apologies to the powers that be).

Bill