Scanner recommendation

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new scanner to replace a 10-year-old flatbed (which, while still works perfectly, cannot work with Win7 64-bit). No specific requirements, other than good scan quality, reasonable speed and ease-of-use. Preferrably not bigger than the old flatbed too. I just need the scanner for the odd scanning needs.

While I am hunting for a scanner, are those built into multi-function printers now of acceptable quality (they were terrible a decade ago)? I might consider a laser b&w multi-function printer to supplement my existing inkjet printer (for text printing), in which case something that can connect directly to my router would be great. No budget in mind yet but should be around $150-250 mark.

Please kindly shoot me your recommendations.

Thanks.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I have a canon LiDE 100 scanner that I'm happy with, but I'm not a pro. Maybe look into their range to see if something fits your needs.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Just got the Canon MG5220, an AIO with a surprisingly good scanner. I've used it for image scanning and copying and thus far am quite pleased with it. It's wireless (wired, if you prefer), prints duplex, and photos thus far look great. At $85 on sale, it was a bargain.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
If you wanna use it for any kind of serious photo work, pick up an Epson Vxxx series scanner. Otherwise, the Canon printers are great for the price. AIO ten to be pretty good, nowdays, too. The Epson Artisan AIOs are pretty good all around devices.

know of fence

May 28, 2009
I'm looking for a scanner, as well in order to digitize some of my books for quick reference. And generally scan stuff so I can throw away the paper.

A scanner needs to be really fast at 200 dpi / colorless.
It also needs a really fast interface, USB3 maybe.
It needs programmable buttons (at least one) to start repeated scans in quick succession.

However it seems not much has changed since a decade ago, other than software and LED light. These things still boast their ridiculous dpi resolutions. 10-14 seconds for a page - an eternity.
Some of the Epson industrial ones offer 40 page per minute (in 200 dpi).
https://neon.epson-europe.com/downl...s-01.pdf&name=Epson-GT-30000N-Brochures-1.pdf

Epson Perfection V600 Photo
is one of the more affordable ones (300 bucks) at least it offers 4sec preview scan, certainly an improvement and it got descent reviews it seems.

It's probably best to buy an all in one, since color scanners don't seem to improve in terms of speed, but speed is priority A for copiers. And there isn't as much useless software. But they are also either toxic or ink-guzzling monstrosities.

It's probably easier to rig a light and camera fixture and just snap pictures.

Edit: So my 2003 Brother (DCP 7010) All-in-One, needs at least 20 seconds for 200dpi grey scan, but it's hooked up via parallel port...

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I'm looking for a scanner as well, in order to digitize some of my books for quick reference. And generally scan stuff, so I can throw away the paper.

if i'm scanning large volumes of material i think i'd want a sheet feeder and automatic front-back scanning.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
I'm looking for a scanner as well, in order to digitize some of my books for quick reference.
. . .
It needs programmable buttons (at least one) to start repeated scans in quick succession.

Your scan software should be able to do this for you.

For instance Abbyy Finereader will let you set a delay between scans if you need time to flip pages.

Had poor results with the scanner on a Brother ink-jet AIO but the scanner on the Brother laser AIO is great. Available with ethernet and wifi connections.

Last edited:

Ovven

Feb 13, 2005
If you want best quality, you will have to get a CCD scanner like canon 9000f. They're very bulky compared to the slim CIS scanners. The main advantage of a CCD would be scanning stuff like books, where you can't push it flat against the glass because of bindings. CIS blurs everything even with minimum unevenness, but CCD (while blurry a bit), you can still get a readable scan.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
I'm looking for a scanner as well, but i need some decent software behind it.. i actually looked at the neat scanner but read the review of awful support and hardware quality.

Is there any scanning software that helps you organize documents better ?