Question Scanner - Every time I go to use it I have to install the driver

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Canon Canoscan Lide 35 scanner on Windows 10 64bit
Not supported on Win10, but installing the driver for the Canoscan Lide 60 scanner it does work, but I have to do that every time I scan, the installed driver somehow is forgotten!
- -
It doesn't have a Win10 driver, but you can install the Canoscan LiDE 60 driver and it works, but it's also necessary to install the new toolbox. I only scan infrequently, maybe 1/2 dozen times/year. But seems that every time I go to scan it says it can't find the TWAIN driver and I have to go through this process again:

HOW TO INSTALL CANON CANOSCAN LIDE 35 ON WINDOWS 10

[ Download and Extract “LiDE 60” Driver on the Desktop into a folder] <--- already done, don't need to download again
Go to Device Manager
Right click on “Canoscan” (it probably has a yellow triangle beside it), click on “update driver”
Click “Browse My Computer for Driver Software”
Click “Let Me Pick from A List of Available Drivers On My Computer”
Click On “Show All Devices”
Click “Next”
Wait for Windows to fill the list
Go down in the list to find “Canon Inc.”, not “Canon”
Click on “Canoscan LiDE 60”
Click “Next”
Microsoft will bring up a message that reads,” Installing this device driver is not recommended because Windows can not verify that it is compatible with your hardware. If the driver is not compatible, your hardware will not work correctly and your computer might become unstable or stop working completely. Do you want to continue installing this driver?”
Click “Yes”
Windows has successfully updated your drivers
Canoscan LiDE 60
[ Then Install “Toolbox 4.9.3.2”, the file name looks like this “cstbwin4932en.exe” cstbwin4932en.exe] Also, already done.
------------------------------

So, is there anything that can be done so I don't need to install the LiDE 60 driver every time I go to scan?

• Wow
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Wow.. that's a head-scratcher for sure.

Can you replicate the problem on another computer running the same OS?
I wonder if the error has anything to do with digital signatures...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Wow.. that's a head-scratcher for sure.

Can you replicate the problem on another computer running the same OS?
I wonder if the error has anything to do with digital signatures...
I could try it with my other similar laptop (which I'm using ATM). My workaround was to buy a Canon Canoscan LIDE 400 Scanner (<$100) to replace it. I had to wait almost months for fulfillment, everybody had it on backorder it seems. I suppose I'm better off using the LIDE 400 anyway, it supports W10, also (and just as importantly) USB 3.0. I've made one scan with it, set it up around 10 days ago. But the LIDE 35 should work with that LIDE 60 driver, it's just every time I go to scan something I have to go through the whole rigmarole with installing the driver, at least with that other Win10 laptop.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Muse's frustrations are nothing new to me.

I have two scanners: a Canon Canoscan 8800F flatbed unit, and the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 AiO scanner. I currently have the Canon connected to two computers with a Startech KVM switch and its shared USB3 ports. The HP printer-scanner has an Ethernet connection to our home LAN.

For a long time, the 8800F did not have Windows 10 drivers, and in any USB configuration, one had to use the WIA driver for it. Then -- suddenly in recent months -- I discover a Win 10 driver on the Canon web-site. At least, this is my memory of it.

HP and their "HP Smart" software is troublesome, or it was. The "Smart" software should probably only be invoked when having trouble getting the current driver to work through other software. Other software -- what?! I use DMS software -- FileCenter and PaperPort 14.7 -- to manage a huge document-scan PDF archive created over 20 years of routine scanning. And it is essential to me that I have workable DMS software on more than one computer, or that I don't have to invoke HP Smart to scan independently to folders otherwise managed by the DMS.

I still have an HP LaserJet 1200 purchased in 2001 or 2002, which works fine. I shouldn't have to purchase a new printer every 5 years because suddenly the driver support or other related issues causes interruptions on my personal household and business management routine for either printing or scanning.

Things were much simpler during the period that included Win 3.1 through Win 7 -- particularly the longevity of peripherals and managing their drivers. The Millennial Humans have had 22 years to get the 21st century "right", even in regard to hardware and software. And -- they haven't done it.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I didn't toss that Canon Canoscan Lide 35 USB 2 scanner yet IIRC, but I love my new Canon Canoscan LIDE 400 USB 3 scanner, which took about 6 months to get to me after my order. It was OOS everywhere that wasn't charging an arm and a leg for it but it finally came around 3 months ago. The new scanner (less than $100) is incredibly fast compared to the other one and so far I haven't had issues connected to a Win10 laptop. I scan infrequently. So far...

It's not the most versatile scanner, but it's done what I've wanted done so far. Besides, it fits where I want it to go, which is sitting on top of a mini-ITX case in my kitchen. That case has a system I am not using ATM, but it serves as a stand for the scanner. The Lide 35 sat there previously. I have pieces of velcro I cut that hold the scanner in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Since it is Canon we are talking about here, I wouldn't be shocked if they did something shady to the driver to cause this to happen to "encourage" owners of older hardware to buy new stuff. Don't forget how they got sued last year because they released drivers for their multifunction machines units that disabled the scan functionality if you run out of ink.

I'd tell you to use Vuescan64 with the LIDE35 scanner (I know it supports it, as I used to have one years ago and successfully used it with Vuescan until the scanner finally died), but the author of the software has now overpriced it to the point where it now isn't worth paying for unless you have some type of otherwise expensive obsolete hardware you want to keep using.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Since it is Canon we are talking about here, I wouldn't be shocked if they did something shady to the driver to cause this to happen to "encourage" owners of older hardware to buy new stuff. Don't forget how they got sued last year because they released drivers for their multifunction machines units that disabled the scan functionality if you run out of ink.

I'd tell you to use Vuescan64 with the LIDE35 scanner (I know it supports it, as I used to have one years ago and successfully used it with Vuescan until the scanner finally died), but the author of the software has now overpriced it to the point where it now isn't worth paying for unless you have some type of otherwise expensive obsolete hardware you want to keep using.
Yeah, I had a look at Vuescan a while back and decided it wasn't worth it for me, at least I had seen nothing to give me an idea it was worth going for now.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I haven't had to do this in years so my memory may be wrong, but isn't it a matter of extracting the driver files, then you get the values of the scanner Device ID stuff in device manager, then you edit the INF file before installing the driver, so that it matches the device ID of the scanner?

I mean for example I have a Canon 4400F that I dug up a driver for and it's listed as VID_04A9&PID_2228

I could be wrong, as stated above it's been years and this maybe a TWAIN driver at that instead of WIA, don't recall details about this sort of stuff as I've mostly been using the scanner in my Brother AIO printer which works well enough for my needs, or else I bust out the camera for 3D objects.

Reactions: Muse