Scan new hard drive for bad sectors before installing OS?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bgc99, Jul 12, 2007.

1. bgc99

bgc99 Senior member

I was wondering how many people scan a brand new hard drive for bad sectors before installing the OS using the manufacturers diagnostic software? (i.e. Seatools for Seagate, etc.)

They claim that if you run the diagnostics and it finds a 'bad' sector it replaces it with a 'good' one and then the drive is considered a good drive. I personally think if a new drive shows any bad sectors I'd consider it bad and exchange it if possible.

If you ever send a bad one in under warranty what you most likely get back is somebody else's 'bad' drive that has had the diagnostic software run on it, bad sectors replaced with good ones and then it passes the test.

Thanks,
    BGC

2. Kelemvor

Kelemvor Lifer

I don't but I do let Windows do a full format when it starts the setup and makes the partition.

3. Cutthroat

Cutthroat Golden Member

Takes too long to scan for bad sectors, and I have never found one. I'm not sure what the symptoms will be if I ever get a bad sector, but I would guess that Windows will cue me when and if it ever happens, then I'll worry about it. Only times I do it is if I am troubleshooting what appears to be a disk problem, but as I said, I've still never found one.

I thought when Windows found a bad sector with chkdsk it marked it as unusable, I didn't think it fixed it.