News Roe v. Wade overturned

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
This is going to be bad. When Turmp was President there was constant talk about the damage he was doing. I'm not hearing a peep at all from normal people about what is happening now. Average people have almost completely tuned out everything going on politically right now.

Because people actually realize there is nothing they can do to stop it. Even voting doesn't matter anymore in many states and the GOP is obtaining even more control over the levers of elections.

The long game that started in the 90s with Gingrich has finally come to fruition. Couple that with an incessant media arm, on point messaging (anything Dems do is evil and awful, like giving formula to starving migrant kids, this will be a winner for the midterms, just watch) and it's easy to see why people have tuned out.

Nothing lasts. This country is going to look drastically different in the next 5-10 years. Those that have the means to do so should do what they can to position themselves either in a more aligned state or even internationally if that's more up your alley. Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: Drach

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
My favorite part is that he's saying the federal government should not feed infants in its custody while talking in front of a background that says 'we need a return to common sense'.

Imagine if Stephen Miller was still in charge of border policies.

Guess we'll see his grand vision again in 2025.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
So until they get absolutely obliterated in the polls, they aren't going anywhere

Except that will never, ever happen.

And it's not because of gerrymandering or voter suppression laws.

It's because everyday we are seeing, in real time, that there is actually a large enough appetite among Americans for whatever cruel thing that lawmakers will think of next.

As one guy I follow on Twitter recently said, "There is no limit to the imagination as to what certain states legislatures will pass next, and the refs have gone home."

Let that sink in for a minute.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I for one agree with you on this part

The conservative goal isn't to hold power for another 50 years or 100 years, it's until they can't anymore, and not a moment sooner.

So until they get absolutely obliterated in the polls, they aren't going anywhere
After hundreds of years of colonialism and subjugation of the lessers, I don't figure they're keen on giving it up.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It's because everyday we are seeing, in real time, that there is actually a large enough appetite among Americans for whatever cruel thing that lawmakers will think of next.

As one guy I follow on Twitter recently said, "There is no limit to the imagination as to what certain states legislatures will pass next, and the refs have gone home."

You do realize that what you're saying will never ever happen literally happened less than two years ago, right?

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
You do realize that what you're saying will never ever happen literally happened less than two years ago, right?

The Dems barely eeked out a narrow electoral college victory across a handful of states, and while they won the two Senate seats in GA, they generally did not do too well down ballot in 2020.

The point is, it wasn't the beatdown at the polls that would force the GOP to rethink their efforts. No, they've doubled down on these type of candidates.

Reactions: Pohemi

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

You need a new MLK kind of freedom fighter to head a movement vs the Intolerant Right.
Someone needs to take the Tuckers and Seans down, it has to become super unpopular to be an asshole again.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The Supreme Court will overturn Roe vs Wade. I was thinking what will be next? A ban on condoms? The outright ban on teaching sex ed in highschool. Maybe a ban on teaching evolution in school? The only thing science teachers will be allowed to teach is creation stories: You know, bible stories: the earth was created in 6000 years. Noah's flood. There were people living in a HUGE tower called babel. Adam and Eve and how Moses parted the red sea.

What will be interesting is will we see a mass exodus of young women from red states who need an abortion travel to blue states like NJ or NY where getting an abortion will still be allowed? And, what kind of issues will that cause. Will those women be arrested if and when they reenter the state that denied them the ability to have an abortion. Man, I can see how this is going to be played out. Its not going to be good.

Reactions: hal2kilo

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Supreme Court will overturn Roe vs Wade. I was thinking what will be next? A ban on condoms? The outright ban on teaching sex ed in highschool. Maybe a ban on teaching evolution in school? The only thing science teachers will be allowed to teach is creation stories: You know, bible stories: the earth was created in 6000 years. Noah's flood. There were people living in a HUGE tower called babel. Adam and Eve and how Moses parted the red sea.

What will be interesting is will we see a mass exodus of young women from red states who need an abortion travel to blue states like NJ or NY where getting an abortion will still be allowed? And, what kind of issues will that cause. Will those women be arrested if and when they reenter the state that denied them the ability to have an abortion. Man, I can see how this is going to be played out. Its not going to be good.

Migration to Texas and other Red States will likely change.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

I'm guessing most people will be in the "it won't happen to me" camp about abortion. Once they start in on birth control, though, probably a different story.

• Love
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I'm guessing most people will be in the "it won't happen to me" camp about abortion. Once they start in on birth control, though, probably a different story.

I am watching The Line with Matt Dilhunty and he has on Liz Cavell who is a lawyer for the Freedom from Religion Foundation. She is right in the thick of it. And, she goes over what may happen when Roe vs Wade is overturned. Matt brings up the possibility of a Civil War. Especially if the Supreme Court starts overturning human rights. I don't think its going to get that far, but who knows? If you want you can check out the video. its interesting. The full video is on Roe vs Wade. The first caller talks about what would take place if a person from a Red state wants to seek an abortion in a blue state. Would that person be allowed to seek treatment. Would they bee arrested? Could a red state put in place laws that would make it a crime to seek an abortion in a blue state. And, it wouldn't matter if it was a life or death issue, which can happen during pregnacy.

There is some cursing in the video if you decide to check it out.

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Justice who refused to recuse himself from a case tied to possible criminal conduct by his wife claims it’s the leak that has eroded trust in this institution.

‘You begin to look over your shoulder. It’s like kind of an infidelity,’

Thomas said conservatives have never employed the harsh tactics of the left.

“You would never visit Supreme Court justices’ houses when things didn’t go our way,” Thomas said. “We didn’t throw temper tantrums. I think it is incumbent on us to always act appropriately and not repay tit for tat.” [note: very, very few decisions of the Roberts Court have not gone their way]

Asked if conservatives were living up to the “mantra” of civility in politics, he said: “They’ve never trashed a Supreme Court nominee. The most they can point to is Garland did not get a hearing, but he was not trashed.”

Trashed, indeed…

d7d1435b15c572d16b59aa959e92df24.jpg