SB Recon3D Optical Out Not Working? z-5500 Setup. Switch to Audigy?

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
Hello everyone, at this point I am looking for some audio device at this point. As I've always understood it, have a digital system vs analog was always generally a better choice. I had been using a z-2300 speaker setup for about two years, and really enjoyed it tbh. However last week I was trolling craigslist and found a guy who was selling a z-5500 setup, an older acer computer (e2200 dual core), and some other things for a clean $100.

I scooped it up, really like the 5500 setup as well. Was stoked that it had an optical connection. Went out and bought an optical cable. It also has coax as well. So here's my issue:

The optical out on my soundcard does not appear to be working. I have a Recon3D fatal1ty professional edition card. Analog works fine, I went into the settings and checked the option to send the stereo mix through digital output. Then in Windows I set the proper playback in the sound settings. Got nothing out of it.

My motherboard is a msi z77 mpower big bang edition, which has THX TruStudio PRO, so I plugged the optical cable into that and sure enough, it works. At first I thought it sounded better than with the soundcard, but it definitely doesn't. So far analog from soundcard is better than optical from the motherboard.

Do I have to disable the hd audio controller in my bios in order to let the soundcard control it? Is my soundcard just bad?

Is the whole, digital is better than analog for comp speakers thing still true? I have an older SB X-Fi XtremeMusic card from a Dell computer, should I use that instead of the fatal1ty card? Thoughts?

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
I found one way to fix my sound issue in windows 7 is to disable all sounds.

Then when you have the red x over the speaker in the task bar then right click it and let windows diagnose and it will pick the sound source on its own. It always picks the active sound source first.