SB Live 5.1 & Klipsch PM41 (4.1) setup question.

Quick1

Dec 29, 1999
I'm about to purchase a Klipsch PM41 4.1 system for $215(newegg.com). My question is in the SB speaker setup screen it offers either a 4 speaker or a 5.1 setup option. If I select the "4 speaker" option does the card still send a (.1) sub signal to the sub/center output? Or do I have to select the 5.1 option? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Biggs

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2000
If you select the 4.1 speaker option, you'll basically, either be using Stereo x 2 (the rears just mirror the original stereo signal of the front) or the whole 4.1 (FL/FR + RL/RR + SW), when playing games for example. For the 5.1 option to be enabled, you'll need to have a SB Live! 5.1 version. Basically, it will transmit a Dolby Digital signal to all 5.1 channels via analog or SPDIF (assuming you have a 5.1 speaker set-up). Since you're buying the PM4.1, it is best you just set the option to 4 speaker. :)

Krye

Aug 26, 2001
When you select the 4 speaker option the Klipschs are smart enough to send the the sub the appropriate frequencies. So you'll want to set it to the 4 speaker option.

Quick1

Dec 29, 1999
Biggs: Thanks for the feedback! I have this version: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Dolby Digital 5.1 - OEM $34.00(newegg) so if I select the "4 speaker" option a .1 sub signal is still sent to the sub/center output? By the way, there is no 4.1 option. Only "2 speaker", "4 speaker", "5.1 setup" and "headphones". Is the "4 speaker" option the same as 4.1?

This setup will be strictly for gaming. I can't afford the Klipsch PM51 5.1, so should I look at another setup(CL Inspire 5.1 5200) which will offer a "true" 5.1 instead of just "double stereo"? I know that's comparing apples to oranges, but how much am I giving up going with a 4.1 setup for a gaming rig?

Krye: OK, so "4 speaker" and 4.1 are the same.

Biggs

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2000
If you select the 4 speaker output, it will only be capable of transmitting pure 2-channel (Stereo) for the front and rear minijacks (1/8") respectively. So technically speaking, the .1 sub signal is not sent to the sub/center output per se. To get the sub/center output, you'll first need to have a 5.1 soundcard. Then, you use the sub/center minijack to output either an analog sub/center output or a digital SPDIF coaxial to a receiver.

If you're gaming and not using an NForce motherboard (which encodes a stereo to DD 5.1 in real time), 4.1 would be ideal since you'll more or less have little use for the Center and LFE output.

Quick1

Dec 29, 1999
......O....K. So the "4 speaker" setting is NOT true 4.1, just double stereo?!