SB-E owners thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Remembered this post. I think your DDR3-2133 speed is more accountable for your ramdisk performance than you think. I am also using DDR3-1600 on SB-E 4x4GB modules and these are my results for a ramdisk.

b2DLK.jpg

My memory benchmarks are in-line with SB-E quad channel as well in Sandra, I get around 35GB/s bandwidth.

As an aside, anyone have a good use for a ramdisk for someone who basically only games, encodes x264 and uses Office with their system ? 16GB is more RAM than I need really and I could devote a few GB to a Ramdisk if there was some sort of system performance boost to be had.

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Remembered this post. I think your DDR3-2133 speed is more accountable for your ramdisk performance than you think. I am also using DDR3-1600 on SB-E 4x4GB modules and these are my results for a ramdisk.

b2DLK.jpg

I'm really surprised that your quad-channel DDR3-1600 bandwidth is not boosting your ramdisk scores above and beyond that of the paltry bandwidth of my dual-channel DDR3-2133 :confused:

Latency will be in my favor, but overal bandwidth and capability to move GB's of data should be in your favor. Especially for something that scales as well as ramdisks do.

dual-channel DDR3-2133:
DDR3-2133Ramdrive.png

dual-channel DDR2-800:
CrystalDiskMark5GBRamDisk-1.jpg

As an aside, anyone have a good use for a ramdisk for someone who basically only games, encodes x264 and uses Office with their system ? 16GB is more RAM than I need really and I could devote a few GB to a Ramdisk if there was some sort of system performance boost to be had.

You already have an SSD for your OS and apps?

I stopped using my ramdisk and my raid-0 iRam drives when I purchased my G2 160GB, the performance difference between the two setups was unnoticable.

If you don't have an SSD then yeah, setting your temp folder and internet cache folder to a ramdrive can help make things a bit snappier.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I'm really surprised that your quad-channel DDR3-1600 bandwidth is not boosting your ramdisk scores above and beyond that of the paltry bandwidth of my dual-channel DDR3-2133 :confused:

Latency will be in my favor, but overal bandwidth and capability to move GB's of data should be in your favor. Especially for something that scales as well as ramdisks do.

dual-channel DDR3-2133:
DDR3-2133Ramdrive.png

dual-channel DDR2-800:
CrystalDiskMark5GBRamDisk-1.jpg

I stopped using my ramdisk and my raid-0 iRam drives when I purchased my G2 160GB, the performance difference between the two setups was unnoticable.

If you don't have an SSD then yeah, setting your temp folder and internet cache folder to a ramdrive can help make things a bit snappier.

Yes I am using an SSD, guess I can't make use of one.

I noticed that my system was only showing 12GB rather than 16GB. I had to re-seat my RAM to fix it. Tried the CDM test again to the same results as before... Which is odd as before only 3 DIMMS were active and I had the same results with 4, maybe it is related to the program.

I ran Sandra and I am actually doing better than I was in that test in the past, so who knows.

p4F6c.jpg

Chainspell

Dec 4, 2011
Weird.. I just noticed my computer was at 91 c for all cores. I started tf2 and wondered why it was so slow. Don't know how this glitch happened cuz my temps have never gone higher than 70c even with prime for hours. After restarting everything was back to normal.

Maybe something about coming back from sleep...

-Sent from my phone.

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
If all cores were at 91, I would suspect a glitch of some kind, not an accurate temp report.
You would expect there to be differences between cores.

Greg04

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
The Pentium 60 MHz cost $878 when it came out in1993.That's $1307 in 2010 dollars. Neat.

Trivia: If you invested that same $878 in a house in 2005, you'd have what the P60 is worth now.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Xbitlabs has an interesting piece today about the impact of RAM speeds and channels on performance for LGA 2011. Well worth a read.

Chainspell

Dec 4, 2011
Okay I nailed it down... it happens everytime coming back from sleep:

21o1mxw.jpg

I have an Asus Rampage IV Extreme, 3930k, XSPC Rasa RX360.

for sure im gonna turn off sleep from now on. I'ts not a glitch with realtemp either, because the computer is extremely much slower. I have the gamer's OC profile on with all defaults.

Last edited:

jsedlak

Mar 2, 2008
^ Perhaps the fan profile is being glitched (or simply not used) when coming out of sleep and the CPU simply isn't getting proper cooling.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005

I've been experimenting with the same thing and yup, for anything I've been doing the difference is functionally unnoticeable. I hate to say it, but it's the truth. I think there may be advantages to moving the swap file off of the SSD (based on what I know, I'd recommend this) and obviously RAM is faster than spindles for swap files, but I have not been able to see any significant performance boost. Of course the fricking machine is ridiculous, and it's not even a high-end build.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I've been experimenting with the same thing and yup, for anything I've been doing the difference is functionally unnoticeable. I hate to say it, but it's the truth. I think there may be advantages to moving the swap file off of the SSD (based on what I know, I'd recommend this) and obviously RAM is faster than spindles for swap files, but I have not been able to see any significant performance boost. Of course the fricking machine is ridiculous, and it's not even a high-end build.

I keep my swap file off the SSD as well on a raid drive of a couple 1TB WD Blacks. Isn't the low latency the main factory in what makes SSDs so great for general use which is something they have in common with RAM ?

After recently switching from a classic OCZ Vertex to a Crucial M4, I cannot feel absolutely any difference at all between the two when using my computer. I have to run a disk benchmark to see a difference.

If you are using your computer for general use it seems any functional SSD is as good as another. I wouldn't have upgraded if not for the OCZ continually getting corrupted/disappearing in BIOS. I assume it just hit its max reliable lifetime since it's fairly old, I bought one when they were first released.