SB Audigy + Red Faction = feedback/screetching through speakers!

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I just installed Red Faction. There are a few times where my speakers will simply SCREETCH like crazy. It's outrageous and annoying. I hear regular game sounds, alarms, voices, gunshots, etc., but at times the sound cuts out during the between-level movies and screetches at random. I've got the drivers for the Audigy (mp3+:eek:) that came with it installed.

ideas?

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Check for newer drivers from creative. Look for new chipset drivers. Look for game patches.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Will

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Hi,
Devices inside your pc share system resources. Sometimes these devices do not play well with each other. Sometimes the things on the motherboard itself conflict with cards that you put into certain pci slots. When this happens if you move the card to another pci slot it will share other resources that do work well with the device. The thing is when the card will show up in device manager as being "no conflicts," but still under demanding situations present anomalies like you describe. Changing the pci slot the card is in will change what devices it shares irq's etc. with and work better.

I remember the infamous via and sblive problem on some kt133 chipsets. I also remember my older board used to have problems unless the sblive was in pci slot 3 or 5. People would put thier sound cards in thse slots and it would work great.

If you look at your motherboard the pci slots are the white slots towards the lower rear of the case.

Thats the best I can explain it at 1:00am anyways. :)

Will

EDIT: Grammer

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Also some motherboard manuals list the devices on the motherboard and what irq's and system resources they use.

Will

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Right. I already know about IRQ conflicts. Also, I know off the top of my head which slot shares the same IRQ with which slot and that the sound card and the dialup modem are in -the only two using a PCI slot at the moment. Neither of which share the same IRQ.
But I'll give it a try anyway :)

nik