Say it ain't so Alaska!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
I never said "prison was a deterent." Crap, the death penalty isn't a deterent for murder either, so why would I even try to use this argument.

I guess the warning label on a cig package is a scare tactic too? Tell all the people that now have lung cancer, laryngenial cancer, etc. Its not healthy to breathe smoke.

Its not good to put unnecessary chemicals in the body to get it to react a certain way, so you can feel good. We have enough of bad substances on the market, and we certainly don't need another. Cigs are bad enough.

As for no scientific evidence: There is plenty of evidence. Just read medical journals, animal studies, health and analytical studies, etc. The evidence isn't poor. Smoke and other substances in pot are carcinogenic's.

Read and learn.

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000

<< The drug can make you mess up in school, in sports or clubs, or with your friends. If you're high on marijuana, you are more likely to make stupid mistakes that could embarrass or even hurt you. If you use marijuana a lot, you could start to lose interest in how you look and how you're getting along at school or work. >>

is this your so called scientific evidence? it looks more like scare tactics and propaganda to me...

also, you would think that scientists would use a term more scientific than &quot;mess up&quot;

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
You seeem to be avoiding the question of the &quot;real&quot; cost of keeping marijuana illegal. The failure of the drug war? Come up with a plan that will work then cause this one aint. You also seem to want to deny the history of how it actually got to be illegal, far more to do with economics than health. Nitrate saturated bacon is carcenogenic.
I don't do it, tried it, have many friends that used to do it, if they are normal like everybody else they grow up and grow out of it just like alcohol. My mom is a psych nurse and has seen more drug addicts than you ever will, most of them are messed up from doing solvents or hard stuff not Mary Jane and don't repeat the escalation argument that is one of the ones that is the MOST questionable.

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000
FETTS

do your self a favor and watch a little documentary called Grass

the documentary totaly debunks all the propaganda that youve obviously bought into. watch it and clear your mind of the bulls'hit that the goverment has put there.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Facts?

Facts?

Facts?

Look we can shoot so called facts at each other all day but I really don't have that kind of time. I have a long day ahead of me and I am not going to be able to check the forums as often as I would like.

To run it down, I just don't like the idea of the federal government limiting the ways that I can hurt myself. I don't like the idea that if I decide to smoke a J before I go to bed I could go to prison. Yet someone else can drink a 5th and nothing would happen. You may think that drugs are bad, and you are right in the wrong hands they are. But you can not choose who has the right to them and who does not. Drugs have been around since the beginning. Ever since that Native American ate that piece of cactus or the Taoist ate the shroom. Drugs are hear to stay. Regan proved that with that so called war on drugs crap. If you are truly concerned about your kids then take the power away from the dealers and give it to the people. Also, don't let your kids have access to gasoline, butane lighters or canned whipped cream. Kids are creative and they can find ways to get a buz that you would never dream of.

One more thing to think about, back when I was in High School (8 years ago) it was easier to get a gun than a beer.

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000
Azazyl,

Great post! keep it up!

FETTS,

<< Perhaps the most convincing is the account of Harvard professor and author Stephen Jay Gould, one of the world's first survivors of abdominal mesothelioma. When Gould started intravenous chemotherapy, he writes:

Absolutely nothing in the available arsenal of anti-emetics worked at all. I was miserable and came to dread the frequent treatments with an almost perverse intensity. I had heard that marijuana often worked well against nausea. I was reluctant to try it because I have never smoked any substance habitually (and didn't even know how to inhale). Moreover, I had tried marijuana twice [in the 1960s]... and had hated it.... Marijuana worked like a charm.... The sheer bliss of not experiencing nausea -- and not having to fear it for all the days intervening between treatments -- was the greatest boost I received in all my year of treatment, and surely the most important effect upon my eventual cure. (10)
Similarly, in patients with AIDS, marijuana has been credited with counteracting such side effects of treatment as severe nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, and fatigue, as well as with stimulating the appetite to help prevent weight loss.
>>

Now how can you refute that? i dont think any sencible person could refute the positive aspect of marijuana use after reading this.

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
The so called scare tactics were written for children, as you can tell (if you bother reading it) that it also lists what it does to the body.

Watch a documentary called grass? I also watched A&amp;E, Discovery Channel, but it doesn't mean I believe everything I read.

As far as how much it costs to keep it illegal? Nothing, its simply written as a law in a statute. No costs involved but the ink and paper its written on. As far a fighting the war on drugs...any money spent is worth a human life.

<< One more thing to think about, back when I was in High School (8 years ago) it was easier to get a gun than a beer. >>

I graduated in 93', and I think your full of BS if you think it was easier to get your hands on a gun than a beer. Obviously, you were hanging with the wrong crowd, which probably leads to your beliefs in why pot should be legal. Thats something to think about!

I don't have kids, but when I do, I will take every measure I can to keep them away from drugs, alcohol, etc. Thats what a parent does. Somehow I think you got led down the wrong track. JMHO.

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
Big Vince - You need to read what I POST! I said for medical purposes it would be ok (in my opinion) to use. Why are you stating something that isn't even relevant to what I'm saying? Maybe you have already killed to many brain cells!

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Ok if you really want to save human lives crack down on drunk driving. you would save many many more lives getting drunks off the road where fatalities of car accidents are %50 alcohol related.
What? that makes too much sense!! Oh yeah economics again, instead of squandering policing effort on ineffectual drug laws you could park them outside of bars. Nope no political will to do that it would be too easy, the whole hospitality industry would wither if they enforced that. Doesn't seem they are interested in saving lives does it?

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
I don't know about where you live, but where I live, road checks are set up daily!! Yes, I said daily. In different locations of course. We fight drunk driving, and drug abuse, and are being rather successful. All places aren't like where you live, if you want to make a difference talk to your local agency about getting plans started to help save lives. And NO, we don't always stick drug offenders in jail, we do send them to agencies where they must seek help or serve jail time. They have a choice.

We have a great sheriff.

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000

<< I don't have kids, but when I do, I will take every measure I can to keep them away from drugs, alcohol, etc. Thats what a parent does >>

that's absolutly right! spend YOUR time protecting YOUR children and dont be so conserned with what other people do with there bodies! if i choose to use Marijuana then i have every right to do so, such is the basis of democracy. so you and the goverment CANNOT tell me what or what not i can ingest.

Furthermore,

<< I graduated in 93', and I think your full of BS if you think it was easier to get your hands on a gun than a beer. Obviously, you were hanging with the wrong crowd, which probably leads to your beliefs in why pot should be legal. Thats something to think about! >>

Obviously, you have led a shelterd life and as such are in the minority. unfortuatly most teens have to deal with guns drugs and alkyhol on a daily basis. the fact is that it IS easier to get a joint or a gun than it is to get a beer and only becuase the other two are illigal. beer is near imposible to get if you a minor becuase it is LEAGAL and regulated! if you want to keep pot out of the hands of minors, legalize it, regulate it and that will be assured.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Where you live is the exception not the rule and since we are talking a national policy lets keep it like that. But I do commend your state on having the guts to do daily random checks, we only bother during the &quot;holiday season&quot;.
This was just one facet of where money could be better spent, for example more people die of mental disorders than drug abuse both alcohol and drugs (they get lumped into the same statistic 'that in itself should amke you wonder') or suicides or vehicle accidents or homocides and on and on. I won't even get into medical deaths cause they far out eclipse by orders of magnitude any of these.
So where is the money for mental health?
Point is there are far more worthy and effective ways to spend the money.
People get polarized on drugs without the common sense cause its easy to sensationlize the issue people would rather not talk about how you are 5X more likely to die of respitory system diseases, too boring.

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
Vince - The government can tell you what to put in your body. I can't believe you said they &quot;cannot.&quot; Obviously you should review the results of the Alaskan vote. If it were legalized in Alaska it would still be illegal per the Federal Gov and could still be charged. The gov. tells you what you can put in your body daily. For further reference: review the listing of drugs thats not allowed or approved by the FDA yet. If you don't like where you live you can always move your butt to a more drug friendly environment.

I led a sheltered life? I think not. I had alcohol shoved in my face weekly at parties, friends homes, etc. when I was in 5th grade on up until I turned 21. The peer pressure was fierce, but I did what was legal and right. I had great parents who taught me right from wrong. No one at my school was ever arrested for carrying a gun the whole time I went there. Like I said, I could get beer daily if I wanted it. I hardly think it was easier to get a gun than it was alcohol. If your friends had guns, they probably had alcohol.

Teatowel

Sep 22, 2000

I find it rather hard to believe that some of the people on this thread are so narrow minded. More than one person has called FettsBabe narrow minded/sheltered etc etc, but to me, Bigvince seems to be the most narrow minded of all.

As someone who works in A&amp;E (casualty to you Americans) in London, I can assure you, Bigvince, that people come in every day high from smoking pot, and having commited minor crimes, driving while under the influence of pot, and having comitted violent crimes. Yes, the proportion of people who come in high compared to the number of people who come in drunk having comitted crims is low, but that is because it is illegal.

Legalizing a substance like marijuana just because there are already more dangerous substances (eg alcohol) available makes no sense. We are just going to add to the total cost of healthcare and police if we legalise it, from pregnant mothers smoking it, people driving or using dangerous machinery while under the influence etc.

While there have been scientific studies (I can get you the references with a day or so if you want) to show the positive efficacy of marijuana for people with neurodegenerative disorders and as an anti-emetic, there is no evidence of what the lond term sequelae of smoking x number of joints a day are for a number of years. This IS being investigated, but until the effects on the lungs, brain etc are proven, it should not be legalized. It should be treated like all other medicines are, and have to go through the same procedures to become legal and available.

To me, Fettsbabe, while she is as aggressive as bigvince et al, does have valid concerns about the generation below us, in particular our own kids.

da bastard

Oct 11, 1999
IMO Cigs and Marijuanna should be created equal or if anything, Marijuanna should be more supported by the country. It at least has some practical use. I dont see how we can have cigs and not allow marijuanna. But then again, Big Tobacco realize though potential in the Marij market, its not addicting and so it could become a passing fad and could hurt their sells in the long run.

Marijuanna is associated with crimes because right now it is a crime. I think alcohol was associated with crime when it was banned.... and actually still is.... Guns are also associated with crim, so are panty hose and ski masks. I think they should be outlawed too....

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Nobodies gonna deny its bad for you.
Again its about the cost/benefit analysis you obviously don't realize how much is being spent to fight it or how much crime makes off of it or how much tax revenue could be brought in. It would easily pay for education and treatment programs. Currently almost nothing is being spent on education and treatment compared to enforcement.
Its there, people use it, estimated 1/3 of the population in the US has done it at one time another including the presidents the moral upholders.
I still connot figure out why this one drug out of all the others is so demonized? Even the bible says your not supposed to drink alcohol yet many church going christians do so every day.

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000

<< To me, Fettsbabe, while she is as aggressive as bigvince et al, does have valid concerns about the generation below us, in particular our own kids. >>

I have just as many concerns about the generation below us, I am concerned that if the mentality displayed by FETTS is adopted widely that my child (yes I have one) will grow up in a country that penalizes the common person for enjoying themselves, that she will live in country in which the government dictates your actions which is what is central to my argument. The government should not go around telling me or anyone else how to live my life. The government needs to keep its nose out of my life and concentrate on important issues in which they can actually make difference. This is actually not about pot or any other drug, it's about the personal freedoms that we as Americans grew up believing in. it's about when I was in 5th grade and my social studies teacher instilled in me a pride in freedom. She taught me that we live in the greatest freest country on the planet and every day I see and feel that pride dwindle away as I witness our great country fall into the hands of close-minded witless people that want nothing more than to control the masses so that they can benefit.

I understand fetts' conviction on this subject, it comes out of fear, a fear put in place by a lifetime of lies and propaganda that she has obviously taken to be the truth. I can only say that hopefully when the general public realizes that they have been lied to and deceived for the majority of there lives that they will organize and begin the revolution that is nessasary to bring about true peace and prosperity.

Ultima200

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2000

<< As far as how much it costs to keep it illegal? Nothing, its simply written as a law in a statute. No costs involved but the ink and paper its written on. >>

LOL! That really shows how much you know. Here is the real info... If weed was legalized, it would save tax payers $7-10 billion PER YEAR!!!!! Again Mrs. Fett, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!