Say I wanted to teach myself some guitar basics..

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
I'd probably spend 20min-1hour a day messing around. Should I buy an acoustic or an electric? How much am I looking at spending for a basic cheap guitar?

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
It depends what kind of music you like most. If you're a big Dave Matthews, et al fan get an acoustic. If you like the hundreds of bands that use primarily electric more, buy an electric. You'll only spend time playing what you're interested in. An electric will be easier on your fingers than an acoustic as well.

I don't know anything about electric guitars, but you should spend $200 (maybe a little less) on a brand new Takamine Jasmine if you buy an acoustic. Make sure you get a hard case ($50-$70) for it as well.

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
I am a big Dave fan, but I am also a big Zep fan. My music interests span all over. I like ska too, for that matter. Should I just look for a used guitar? I have no idea how interested I'll get. My friend has an acoustic I may be able to borrow...

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
yeah see if you can borrow one first.
see if its something you can stick with, enjoy.

and only you know your budget and how much to spend on something you will use maybe 5 hours a week.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Led Zeppelin made some songs on acoustic too. Check out Bron Y Aur, regular or stomp version. :D

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: KingNothing
Led Zeppelin made some songs on acoustic too. Check out Bron Y Aur, regular or stomp version. :D

Very good song.

Say I start trying to do this, the best way is probably with tabs, eh? How do I read tabs?

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by: guapo337
Originally posted by: KingNothing

Very good song.

Say I start trying to do this, the best way is probably with tabs, eh? How do I read tabs?

each string is a horizontal line
there are numbers
------------------ e
--------------- b
----------------g
---------------d
-------4--------a
----------------e
like a 4 on the second from bottom line.
that means play the fourth fret on the second lowest string (A)
and so on.
you see a 1 on the top line of the six horizontal lines, means play the high E string on the first fret.
its pretty easy

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Tab notation shows you which fret to play on which string in which order. It won't help with fingering or rhythm. Check out powertabs.net, they have tabs you can open in the Power Tab player, which will play a midi version of the song. Helps sometimes to isolate the part better than the actual song, and the tabs I've seen are all very accurate. Guitartabs.cc and olga.net are other good sites.

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by: guapo337
fourth from the top, or fourth from the bottom of the neck?

holding a guitar in your lap.
if youre a righty.
the neck is in your left hand.
the top line will be the bottom string, the thinnest one.
the bottom line will be the top string, the fatest lowest sounding one.

clear as mud?

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Almost all tab notation will have your thinnest string (high E unless using an alternate tuning) on top.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
get an electric unless your going to do kum-ba-ya. A good electric and a decent amp will give you everything from a clean, almost accoustic sound to a cruching distortion sound. It is much more versatile, plus quieter if you use headphones in your amp. Yup, go electric

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
You can get an electric starter pack for ~$200... comes with a mini-amp too...

What I hear is that all the lower-price range guitars all sound basically the same anyway...

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Alot of people will tell you to buy an acoustic, so that you can learn the "right" way, whatever that means. Buy an electric unless you want to play acoustic guitar type of music. Once you learn to play, you can play either one without any trouble.

Acoustics are only hard to play because they use heavier strings. Put 12's on an electric and its just as hard.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
If you want to get good, you must do warm ups and don't focus to heavily on particular songs. For instance, using all four fingers, walk yourself up the guitar neck. The key is to get used to using all four fingers equally. I'm a decent guitarist, and trust me, once you get to a point that you can play freely, being able to stretch out and reach a note with your pinky is incredibly important.