Say "Bye-Bye" to tighter Airport Security........

TapTap

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2001
:Q $ Changes Everything :Q
Continental Air spokesperson--"We need this"
Like a fn hole in the head! Is it just me or does no one see the inherent danger in this. In a nutshell, if you stay at one of these hotels, you bypass the airport check-in completely. You check your bags in the friggin lobby, or out of your room. It is "transported by private secure courier" to your airline at the airport.
Private secure courier? Who are they kidding?
With so many different people outside of the "secure airport area" having access to bags, the odds of some tampering raises astronomically. Not to mention the opprotunity for organized theft, lost bags, and misplaced itineraries.
The most basic tenet of airline security, the first line of defense so to speak, IS TO MATCH A FACE/ID TO EVERY BAG. This system does not do this. You have mutiple hotel guests loading mutiple bags that will be going to mutiple airlines on different ends of the airport. It creates confusion and subsequently complacency, a terrorists best weapon. Uh, "Lockerbie-Flight 103" anyone? A bomb was hidden in a radio and checked on board-AND NO ONE VERIFIED WHO IT BELONGED TO. --BOOM--
I work at Orlando Intl and it pisses me off that we get picked for this potential boondoggle. I cant believe, refuse to believe these idiots for the airlines have this "planned out"
It is greed pure and simple. If we advertise an "easy way to fly, and avoid all those nasty lines" people will fly with us...
GOD help us, for we art stupid.

Cerebus451

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2000
I am not really surprised by this. One by one, the new security regulations will get dropped in favor of smoothing the travel experience. Within 5 years airport security in this country will be the same big joke it was before 9/11, if not much sooner.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Cerebus451
I am not really surprised by this. One by one, the new security regulations will get dropped in favor of smoothing the travel experience. Within 5 years airport security in this country will be the same big joke it was before 9/11, if not much sooner.

That's fine with me. I hate reactionary legislation. One insane terrorist group attacks the US, and we're supposed to wait at the airport for 4 hours before each flight for the rest of our lives?

Also: one idiot little girl runs into the street and gets hit by a car after getting off a school bus, now traffic is supposed to stop in both directions whenever a school bus stops, regardless of whther or not kids are crossing the street.

There are more of these, but those are just two examples. Laws should be made to resrtict freedom only when there is indication of a recurring benefit. These alws should not be made as a reaction to a single incident.

If they want, they can put an armed police officer on every commercial airplane, that's fine with me, they can even lock the cockpit, but they shouldn't make every preson who ever wants to fly again stand around the airport for hours on end, w/o being able to transport things like nail clippers.

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Airport security still is a big joke. It's just a bigger show. Give me a break. Me taking my shoes off 3 times before I get to come home again so minimally paid young people can feel my ankles hasn't helped make flying safer at all. Why? Because they're using a one size fits all "solution" and screening grandmas and children and law abiding citizens for the acts of ILLEGAL ALIEN ISLAMIC EXTREMISTS.

It's farking retarded. Those same villains can get on an airplane with writing pens and belts and be just as deadly as their 9/11 heroes. True security would be arming the pilots, and allowing citizens the right to carry their pocket knives with them and such. Not making sure that all of us are as helpless as humanly possible.

Stiler

Banned
Nov 21, 2001
Laws should be made to resrtict freedom only when there is indication of a recurring benefit. These alws should not be made as a reaction to a single incident.

you know its very possible its not just a one time incident, planes have been hijacked way before this started.

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
Also: one idiot little girl runs into the street and gets hit by a car after getting off a school bus, now traffic is supposed to stop in both directions whenever a school bus stops, regardless of whther or not kids are crossing the street.

Where do you live? This has been a standard law in many states for decades.

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
My area doesn't have those laws. Then again, they might and I just don't follow them!

OT: Tighter airport security is stupid. They are tight enough. Never give up your personal freedom. When people are willing to die for their cause, noone is safe.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
In order for Airport security to truly be better it would have to be much more restrictive. Random checks are a "crap-shoot for show", not to mention a pain in the ass.

The remote check-in has potential, but they need to be very careful and thorough as to its incorporation, even to the point of making the "private secure courier" an armored car. :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
OT: Tighter airport security is stupid. They are tight enough. Never give up your personal freedom. When people are willing to die for their cause, noone is safe.
Obviously security is not "tight enough". It's tight enough to avoid somebody taking a bazooka on a plane, but not somebody taking a small bomb. It's all on a big scale. Where you define "tight enough" is not necessarily where others will.

As cerebrus said as time goes on and nothing happens security will get looser, until something does happen, then it will tighten again...then get looser.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: AU Tiger

Where do you live? This has been a standard law in many states for decades.

Hmm. The only way you don't have to stop is if there is a median....

TapTap

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2001
UH!! This arrrrggghhument:
Someone made the point of "checking Grandmas and making me take my shoes off 3x before I get home" isnt what AP security should be.
I say this, EL AL flys in to Orlando and they check everybody. EVERYBODY. (no profiling complaints there)
They are courteous, professional, and very efficient. The surprising part is apart from the security supervisior, (Gov. trained, and lots of them are Vets with combat experience) the people who do the screening are KIDS. Israel PAYS FOR THE college education for them abroad as long as they work security for the airline. They undergo airline safety training in Israel, then come here to earn their keep. It works great for them. And how many AT'ers of college age here wouldnt want the same set up for their education?

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
All this extra security is a big joke anyways. The 9/11 terrorists brought on box cutters. Its not like they smuggled a bomb or guns...just box cutters. How is all this extra super-dupper security gonna stop something like that. They probably could have done the same thing with a sharpened nail file.

TapTap

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Antisocial-Virge
All this extra security is a big joke anyways. The 9/11 terrorists brought on box cutters. Its not like they smuggled a bomb or guns...just box cutters. How is all this extra super-dupper security gonna stop something like that. They probably could have done the same thing with a sharpened nail file.

The T's had fake plastic explosives taped to their bodies along with box cutters and knives--maybe you missed that part of the coverage. On Beamers flight the guy with the "bomb" kept fiddling with it so they knew it was fake--so they acted.
Today's level of security (if it stays current
;) would have caught this. New machines and better screening. So I dont think (I work at an Airport) that this "super-duper extra security" is a big joke at all.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

Children are prone to doing things like that. They're just kids after all. It's not that big of a deal, and if 30 seconds of inconvenience saves a life, then is it really so bad?

There are more of these, but those are just two examples. Laws should be made to resrtict freedom only when there is indication of a recurring benefit. These alws should not be made as a reaction to a single incident.

No, they shouldn't.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
The T's had fake plastic explosives taped to their bodies

Where did you read that? Provide a link? And the point still stands. Plastic explosives still would not setoff a metal detector so unless they fisked/stripsearched everybody they could still get through. All this worry about airport security is still a ploy to try and make the general public feel safer and show that "Yes, we are doing something to stop terrorism". The fact is, unless the terrorists are total morons they won't try anything with a plane again.

rubix

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
i think security is a joke and is so arbitrary. a guy tries to use a shoe bomb so now they check shoes. wow. you can easily kill people, especially children, with just about anything. someone can usa a bra to choke you to death with the straps if they're trained right. someone could beat a baby to death with some hard bottom shoes. you can easily hide little blades in a watch wrist band which could slit some throats. you can have 2 terrosists bring seperate legal store bought chemicals on to a plane, like one brings amonia and the other brings chlorine. these can be mixed to form ammonium chloride, which is a toxic gas using in nazi death camps and they could be taken onto the plane in water bottles. belts are good for choking too. or any type of wire or cords, such as the cord from an alarm clock. or how about bringing on a simple music cd, breaking it and using it to stab someone right in their throat? i could go on forever. and a terrorist will have even better ideas than the crap i just made up. if you want a safe flight, ban people. i bet one day terrorists will have the bombs surgically implanted in their stomachs.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
That's fine with me. I hate reactionary legislation. One insane terrorist group attacks the US, and we're supposed to wait at the airport for 4 hours before each flight for the rest of our lives?
This is the attitude that will drive us right back to where we were before 9/11. "I want to be secure but don't you dare incovenience me". Then when something else happens you'll be screaming "why didn't you prevent this?" How many school children have to die before it's not reactionary legislation? How many planes have to be hijacked? I guess we should check with you first to make sure you're not inconvenienced before laws are passed. I mean god forbid you have to go to the airport early or stop while school kids get off the bus.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: rubix
i think security is a joke and is so arbitrary. a guy tries to use a shoe bomb so now they check shoes. wow. you can easily kill people, especially children, with just about anything. someone can usa a bra to choke you to death with the straps if they're trained right. someone could beat a baby to death with some hard bottom shoes. you can easily hide little blades in a watch wrist band which could slit some throats. you can have 2 terrosists bring seperate legal store bought chemicals on to a plane, like one brings amonia and the other brings chlorine. these can be mixed to form ammonium chloride, which is a toxic gas using in nazi death camps and they could be taken onto the plane in water bottles. belts are good for choking too. or any type of wire or cords, such as the cord from an alarm clock. or how about bringing on a simple music cd, breaking it and using it to stab someone right in their throat? i could go on forever. and a terrorist will have even better ideas than the crap i just made up. if you want a safe flight, ban people. i bet one day terrorists will have the bombs surgically implanted in their stomachs.

rubix, I haven't flown in quite some time, so I cannot comment on airport security, but you post does prove one thing, a weapon can be fastened out of everyday objects. But I am curious as to your sentence, "if you want a safe flight, ban people." What do you mean by this :confused:

edit rubix, since you are no longer online, I've subscribed to this thread & I am looking forward to you answering my question. Thanks for your time.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
The idea of "more plane hijackings for suicide missions is inevitable" is overplayed. I don't think we'll likely see this happen again. If it does then God save the Middle East, because next time the U.S. will capitulate arab nations as revenge. Iraq already has waivered on their hardline support for the Al Queda after the last week on pounding. Most of you probably missed the daily raids on the Iraq military last month, but its easy to do with the way the stories has been reduced to mere single paragraph descriptions lately. For those that missed it, the invasion of Iraq by U.S. and U.K. forces in 2003 is a sure bet.

TapTap

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Antisocial-Virge
The T's had fake plastic explosives taped to their bodies

Where did you read that? Provide a link? And the point still stands. Plastic explosives still would not setoff a metal detector so unless they fisked/stripsearched everybody they could still get through. All this worry about airport security is still a ploy to try and make the general public feel safer and show that "Yes, we are doing something to stop terrorism". The fact is, unless the terrorists are total morons they won't try anything with a plane again.

US News and World Report: "The Real Story of Flight 93" --on the cover. ( Dec or Jan not yet sure...)
Still looking for you......
*Also, the machines would pick up on the wiring harness not the plastic or real plastique expolsives. They have "sniffers" at every checkpoint now that will alarm to chemical traces of expolsives. Pisses off the old folks with heart conditions because they get selected for "full up searches" (ie the Grandma's) because a lot them carry nitroglycerin pills. Yes, that nitroglycerin albeit in a highly diluted form.

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Say "Bye-Bye" to tighter Airport Security

Thank God! its not what we need, we need passengers with more Balls to not put up with any BS on the flights.

TapTap

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Renob

Thank God! its not what we need, we need passengers with more Balls to not put up with any BS on the flights.

Huh?

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Renob

eh this is stupid innocent people still have to die in this case, wouldn't better airport security preventing a calamity be a better solution? jeez its times like these I'm glad dumb dorky geeks don't run this country. Say what you will about Bush's public speaking screw ups but at least he and/or his administration can make better decisions than some of you fockups.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Interesting...you people are giving Bush a hard time because supposedly he "knew" about potential hijackings and did nothing to act and yet you complain about all the action he's taking...

If he *had* done something before September 11, everyone and their grandma would say there's no justification for it and would have complained so loudly, the airlines would have been forced to stop...