Saw the movie Chinatown

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
I saw the movie Chinatown after hearing nothing about how great it is. The movie was OK, nothing that special. Jack Nicholson was pretty good in it (and I don't particularly like him). The plot was very flawed and there's a lot of fairly ridiculous things that happen (e.g. when Jack Nicholson's character leads the cops to the fake maid's house and convinces the cops to let him apprehend Faye Dunaway's character, and he drives away with the guy. The cops don't notice this? that's just one of many examples).

It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't anything special IMO.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: amdhunter
Timewarps are getting worse. This thread came from 1974...

No, no, no... I saw this recently, this wasn't posted in 1974! ;)

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I actually thought it was pretty horrible :p - I don't know, there was just nothing to it...and a bad ending.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
It's funny how taste's and impressions vary. To me, this is one of the greatest movies of all times. It's a period piece which can be appealing to me. I like the old cars, the style of dress, how the way of life in old L.A. is represented.

It's a tragedy, but with some comedy too. I especially like the character development. I am a fan of Jack Nicholson, not especially a fan of Faye Dunaway. John Huston was a multi-talented man. He was ideally suited to the Noah Cross character. His heyday was before my time, but I was glad to be able to see him in this role in a movie I really like.

The soundtrack I found to be especially good. My understanding is that it was a last minute change. The original soundtrack was trashed and this one was done literally at the last minute.

To each his own. For me, this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. It's not any one thing, it's the whole package together that works for me. I rarely watch movies more than once, but this one I have seen easily 12 or more times.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: boomerang
It's funny how taste's and impressions vary. To me, this is one of the greatest movies of all times. It's a period piece which can be appealing to me. I like the old cars, the style of dress, how the way of life in old L.A. is represented.

It's a tragedy, but with some comedy too. I especially like the character development. I am a fan of Jack Nicholson, not especially a fan of Faye Dunaway. John Huston was a multi-talented man. He was ideally suited to the Noah Cross character. His heyday was before my time, but I was glad to be able to see him in this role in a movie I really like.

The soundtrack I found to be especially good. My understanding is that it was a last minute change. The original soundtrack was trashed and this one was done literally at the last minute.

To each his own. For me, this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. It's not any one thing, it's the whole package together that works for me. I rarely watch movies more than once, but this one I have seen easily 12 or more times.

What about the plot, did you find it to be fluid and that there were no odd holes / unbelievable elements in it? I know it's a movie and there are always going to be unbelievable elements, but in a movie like this, a "period piece," I would expect it to be as close to real as possible.

I like the old cars, I like the old dress, I like all of that, but if the movie has ridiculous elements it takes a lot away.

To each his own tho right :)

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Al Neri
Originally posted by: boomerang

What about the plot, did you find it to be fluid and that there were no odd holes / unbelievable elements in it? I know it's a movie and there are always going to be unbelievable elements, but in a movie like this, a "period piece," I would expect it to be as close to real as possible.

I like the old cars, I like the old dress, I like all of that, but if the movie has ridiculous elements it takes a lot away.

To each his own tho right :)
I've never been one to pick a movie apart - any movie. I just consider movies to be entertainment and when watching, I take it as it comes. It's not reality, so I don't expect all the I's to be dotted and the T's to be crossed. Just me.

For example, take the drive away scene you describe. I find this credible. Jake has history with these cops. He used to work with them. Yeah, he's pulling one over on them but because of the history they have, he's convinced them that he's on the up-and-up. They have no real reason to suspect him of doing anything underhanded at that point. It's justified in the end because Escobar lets the whole lot of them leave after Evelyn's death. He knows this whole thing is going to get swept under the rug.

If you want, give me some other examples and I'll explain those away too. :D I may even end up agreeing with you on some.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
What? Let me guess...you didn't like The Godfather either. Chinatown is a classic.

I liked the movie, but the only thing that prevents me from watching it more often and putting it higher on my movie list is the ending. I really wanted the ending to be different, but then again, it's Chinatown.

EDIT: I wish there were more movies like this, the closest lately was LA Confidential. That was a really good movie.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
What? Let me guess...you didn't like The Godfather either. Chinatown is a classic.

I nominate this for post of the year. Look at my username. Look at my signature!

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
I liked Chinatown. I originally watched it in a film class in school and they talked about the merits of the movie technically and artistically. I thought it was sorta slowly paced at times, but the story/plot was pretty good. I think i've watched it a couple more times on my own/with friends.

Like Boomerang, I'm not the kinda person who picks movies apart (my best friend is though and seriously - fuck that guy :p I hate watching movies with him). While it is important the story not be absolutely ridiculous full of holes/really stupid things happening, I don't really remember seeing that in Chinatown. It has been about 2 years since I've last seen it... so I don't really remember all that clearly.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Oh wow, I loved it. Haven't seen it in about 5 years, but I always enjoy it when I do watch it.

KT

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Can you name a better mystery/thriller movie? I can't without some serious thought.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I love this movie. You have to remember back then things that seem ridiculous to us were very plausible and probably the normal way of doing things.

As for a better mystery/thriller - I'm sure there are some on par (Laura comes to mind), but it's not the all time great.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: oogabooga
I liked Chinatown. I originally watched it in a film class in school and they talked about the merits of the movie technically and artistically. I thought it was sorta slowly paced at times, but the story/plot was pretty good. I think i've watched it a couple more times on my own/with friends.

Like Boomerang, I'm not the kinda person who picks movies apart (my best friend is though and seriously - fuck that guy :p I hate watching movies with him). While it is important the story not be absolutely ridiculous full of holes/really stupid things happening, I don't really remember seeing that in Chinatown. It has been about 2 years since I've last seen it... so I don't really remember all that clearly.

I saw it in film class in high school too... i remember all the guys gasping in anticipation in seeing faye dunaway's rack but you could barely see the nipular region and everyone was disapointed :laugh:

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
boring. (so was the original italian job). also, it remidns me of bakersfield which i loathe.

PhaZe

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 1999
I think when a movie is called a classic it has a lot to do with the time frame in which it was created.