Saw Deja Vu yesterday - good movie, but the ending really has me confused...can someone explain it to me?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Cut to the point here.

At the end of the movie, they send him back in time to prevent the boat bombing. He does, but he DIES. Two minutes later, he arrives at the crime scene in his police car just like he did at the beginning of the movie.

:confused: WTF? They didn't CLONE him, they sent him back in time. He DIED. So how was he still alive?

I understood the whole movie until the ending and it sort of ruined it for me. I thought it was a really good flick, though.

Someone please explain this to me.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Cut to the point here.

At the end of the movie, they send him back in time to prevent the boat bombing. He does, but he DIES. Two minutes later, he arrives at the crime scene in his police car just like he did at the beginning of the movie.

:confused: WTF? They didn't CLONE him, they sent him back in time. He DIED. So how was he still alive?

I understood the whole movie until the ending and it sort of ruined it for me. I thought it was a really good flick, though.

Someone please explain this to me.

From what Dr. Michio Kaku says, you can't go back in time in your own timeline. Basically when you go back, it splits (I believe they said this in the movie as well), so the Denzel that died was actually from a different timeline. In the movie though, the timeline that he was from ceased to be when they changed the past, which doesn't hold with Dr. Kaku's theory.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Ah, that's right! They did talk about the timeline splitting; they even did a drawing on the whiteboard...I forgot about that.

So...was the doctor correct or not? :confused:

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Ah, that's right! They did talk about the timeline splitting; they even did a drawing on the whiteboard...I forgot about that.

So...was the doctor correct or not? :confused:

Dr. Michio Kaku probably knows a bit more about it than the folks that wrote the movie. Basically in his theory, the two universes would keep going forward on their own timelines. One without Denzel Washington's character (at least after the point at which he departed), since he went back in time, and one with TWO Denzel Washingtons (the split-off universe), though they took care of that detail by killing the one from the future off.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Cool link. I'm watching some of his BBC shows now. I'm on this "time and space" kick lately.

I watched 2001 a few night ago and will watch 2010 tonight. Awesome flicks; though a bit "heavy" for the uninitiated.

May 31, 2001
Dr. Kaku is great to watch or listen to. I have been meaning to get some of his books, but haven't gotten around to it yet. He has a regular radio show called Science Fantastic: http://www.mkaku.org/radioprograms.htm. Unfortunately, most of the callers that get through make the callers from the Kim Komando show look like Nobel Laureates.