saw a delorean on the way to work today

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
they look cool in back to the future, but damn that is one ugly mofo up close.

so whats the story with these cars? what happened to them-- why did the compnay only last like 2-3 years? i heard the president of DMC was in a mental hospital or something.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I saw a Black Lambo Diablo filling up with gas today. The car was lower than the waist of the guy filling it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I saw one a few months back. A store in my hometown in NS is selling one.

Part of the reason they folded is because they are slow as sh*t I think. They look fast but sure ain't.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Doggiedog
I saw a Black Lambo Diablo filling up with gas today. The car was lower than the waist of the guy filling it.

yeah.. isnt it weird to see cars that low.

i used to know a guy at my old job who drove an NSX.. it was really low also.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

Oh yeah?! I actually saw a running Yugo on the way to work today....top that for rare car sightings. ;)

Kinger

Jun 14, 2002
I went to the Yankee Candle Car Museum in Deerfield Massachusetts a while back and they had a Delorean there.....damn those things are ugly!

Oh and BTW those b@stards at Yankee Candle took out the car museum and put in a damn "Home Store" WTF the only reason I went with my g/f to the place was to see the cars!!

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
why did the compnay only last like 2-3 years?

They got tired of having to re-paint the white lines on the pavement.

Viper GTS

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think 88 was the maximum top speed and you needed a Mr. Fusion to do that.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Part of the reason they folded is because they are slow as sh*t I think. They look fast but sure ain't.

according to this link fausto posted, they only had a 2.8L 6 cylinder engine.. but they look pretty light, so it might be fast, but i'm sure it was quick.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Rallispec

according to this link fausto posted, they only had a 2.8L 6 cylinder engine.. but they look pretty light, so it might be fast, but i'm sure it was quick.
If memory serves, and it probably doesn't all that accurately, their 0-60 was a sad ~8.5 seconds.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

Not very.

Power: 130 SAE NET HP @ 5500 RPM
Torque: 208Nm (153 ft lb) @ 2750 RPM
Weight: 2844 lbs (1290kg) with full fuel tank

Kinger

Jun 14, 2002

Was it the real deal or was it a kit car? Some guy that lives around here bought a kit that transformed a Pontaic Feairio (sp?) into a Diablo. It was alot shorter than a real Diablo or course but it had half the people that looked at it fooled.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto1

Not very.

that sucks! what a weak car

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

Not very.

It's kind of like the Chrylser Prowler which sells for more than a corvette with a scant 240 HP mated to an automatic transmission.

I guess the delorean was for people who wanted looks over performance.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001

Not very.

It's kind of like the Chrylser Prowler which sells for more than a corvette with a scant 240 HP mated to an automatic transmission.

I guess the delorean was for people who wanted looks over performance.

your kidding.. the prowler only had 240hp??? damn.. that sucks. i loved that car. They stopped making it last year though, correct?

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Kinger

Was it the real deal or was it a kit car? Some guy that lives around here bought a kit that transformed a Pontaic Feairio (sp?) into a Diablo. It was alot shorter than a real Diablo or course but it had half the people that looked at it fooled.

From what I could tell (i was stopped next to it at a stoplight for a couple mins), it was the real deal. It looked clean and brand new. Gas cap was behind the passenger side door on top of the car. There are a lot of nice cars in my neighborhood so I'm pretty sure it's real. I saw another Lambo in my neighborhood a while back too. It was purple and I thought it was a motorcycle because it was nighttime and it sounded like one.

Chipster

Aug 8, 2001
My parents friend had a Delorean years back and they let me take it out for a spin. All show,no go.

Kinger

Jun 14, 2002

From what I could tell (i was stopped next to it at a stoplight for a couple mins), it was the real deal. It looked clean and brand new. Gas cap was behind the passenger side door on top of the car. There are a lot of nice cars in my neighborhood so I'm pretty sure it's real. I saw another Lambo in my neighborhood a while back too. It was purple and I thought it was a motorcycle because it was nighttime and it sounded like one.

Nice! :D It's not everyday you get to see a machine like that. Nevermind two of them!

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
My dad knows a guy that owns a shop.. he has 3 Deloreans.. they are pretty cool... it has a 2.8L Volvo V6 if i am not mistaken. not a ton of HP. i think Peugeot built the transmission, too.. it's a bastard car.