Save $950 on Fellowes Shredder (Refurb, 1 Yr Warranty)

Banana

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
I think this is a pretty hot deal. I have lots of documents to shred and the puny ones at the usual retail stores just don't cut it (heh--pun).

Fellowes is selling refurbished shredders directly, including the heavy duty 320CC confetti shredder for $250. There is a standard one year warranty.

Fellowes.com

I still have to figure out the s/h.

1YP

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Don't you know the FBI has computers that can piece these shredded documents back together?

Souka

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2000
Enron used much larger capacity shredders.

This is a std. corp level shredder. :(

Murse

Jan 26, 2000
These are actually some good prices...thanks for the link, I didn't know they had refurb stuff on their site. I've been looking for a decent medium duty shredder and ordered the refurb PS70 for $59.99. OM carries the newer version of this model for $179. There is a 10% off coupon on their e-store home page and shipping is only $5.49. The coupon basically covers shipping.

trikster2

Banned
Oct 28, 2000

Looking at the PS70 but the "extra narrow 7/32" strips seem kind of wide? That's about 1/4 inch, if I put say a bill in longwise it seems that would be plenty of room for a credit card number.

Would the PS60 be better for security with the 5/32" strips?

Although that removable bin on the PS70 looks great. I'm always getting some bits of paper on the floor when I take the top of my cheapy shredder.

Thanks for any input!

trikster2

Banned
Oct 28, 2000

Oh well,

This thread was of interest to me because my cheap $29.95 epson shreader was dead as the proverbial doornail.

Before hitting buy on that $270 cross cut shredder on the fellowes factory reconditioned site I went and literally banged on the epson for a bit and the darn thing started working.

It's just made for light duty but the wife will shered until it overheats/dies then let it cool down and shred some more. And forget about oiling it, just jam some more in....

I tell you what: shredding is addictive. You start with credit card/bank statement, then next thing you know you are doing junk mail like credit card applications and even the envelopes from your bills.

Looking closely at my cheap epson cross cut shredder output I'm not sure I like how big it is: 3/8" by 1/2" or so but I can still get info even off those little fragments, and anything shredded says to dumpster divers: I'm sensitive information Read me!

Maybe I'll get that big bad confetii shredder after all......

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: huesmann
Don't you know the FBI has computers that can piece these shredded documents back together?

YOu mean some newbie agent right?

There's no computer smart enough to go through and figure this piece goes with this paper. Smart paper/evidence destorying or even half ass work would atleast shuffle the shreds.

Then imagine shredding thousands of sheets. It takes months to go through all of them and find which goes with which.

Once you find them yeah a computer can put it back to together.

AWEstun

Banned
Aug 2, 2002

They scan each piece (cross-cut square or strip) in and the computers piece the puzzle together and enhance the picture. ROFL

shelbY

trikster2

Banned
Oct 28, 2000
Originally posted by: AWEstun

They scan each piece (cross-cut square or strip) in and the computers piece the puzzle together and enhance the picture. ROFL

shelbY

That's why I'm really paranoid and only throw away 1/2 the shreds at a time. Good luck deshredders!!!!!

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
There's no computer smart enough to go through and figure this piece goes with this paper. Smart paper/evidence destorying or even half ass work would atleast shuffle the shreds.

Never underestimate the determined. If one were so inclined, this could set this up quite easily. All you would really need is an efficient way to feed them through a scanner, which could easily be accomplished.

The fact is, there are computers smart enough to do this. In fact, the one sitting on your desk right now is smart enough. You could easily write a C program that would do this (with the help of some imaging libraries). Scan, auto-straighten, and create copies of the image in both vertical orientations... then its just edge matching.

The real question is... how much does somebody want your personal info? If they are determined enough, and have enough money and time, they will get to your info no matter what you do.

Kriegsmarine

Oct 22, 2000
This deal can be made even hotter. There are 3 fellowes.com coupon codes out there (and perhaps more). There is a $10 off of $50, a $15 off of $75 (both expiring on 3/31/03) and the one that makes this deal hot, hot, hot: 20% off of $25 or more (Expires: 04/03/03). Do a search for "fellowes.com coupon code" on your favorite search engine for the codes.

Happy shredding...

trikster2

Banned
Oct 28, 2000
Thanks for info on that 20% off coupon code. Really easy to find.

Brings the $399 confeti shredder down to $319.99

A little torn as Costco has a nice looking chrome shredder for $150 AR that can handle 15 pages at a time vs the 380CCs 10.

I know the fellowes can probably shred a zillion more pages a day though.....

UPDATE: Got the Aurora AS1512X crosscut shredder. 15 Pages at a time, CDROM and Credit Card slot. $150 AR and coupon. NOthing on the Fellowes factory servciced or regular site came close for that price........