Saturn Curve **Confirmed** for Production [small, RWD coupe based on the Solstice "Kappa" chassis]

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6748
GM says it is making progress on turning around the profits of two of its ongoing loss-makers, Saab and Saturn, through cost reductions and new models coming this year. GM product boss confirmed that the company will build the Saturn Curve, one of the Kappa platform cars at this week's Detroit auto show. The Pontiac Solstice and Curve will be built at Saturn's Wilmington, Del., plant. The Chevy Nomad Kappa concept is a tougher proposition, said Lutz. "Chevy has so much product coming already that dealers are starting to complain about where they will put it all," said Lutz. Lutz also said Saturn will soon get a "big brother" to the Saturn VUE in the form of a big crossover SUV, though he declined to peg a launch date. GM said its stronger performance in the second half of 2003, when its U.S. market share rose to 28.7 percent compared to 28 percent for all of 2003, will carry over into 2004.
Looks like the Solstice gets a new platform mate;) Hopefully, GM will approve the new Nomad (which I think is just GORGEOUS) as well :D They do afterall need sales to make this new small RWD "Kappa" platform feasible.

Saturn Curve Pictures

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
A decent looking Saturn, surely this is a parallel universe in which GM produce attractive cars.

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
It's a nice car, but why? This is so out in left field for Saturn it makes no sense being one of their products. They should have given the car to a performance division.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Wow. Somebody lit a fire under GM :D

Is that Nomad concept trying to shoot for the Mini Cooper S market?

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Thats a beautiful car, and the fact that it will be RWD makes it so much more inviting. Gotta hand it to GM, they're really trying to get a good reputation again. Hopefully they won't screw up the interior.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Beautiful? That thing's ugly.

At least it's RWD. :p

- M4H

Honestly, what do you expect from Saturn though? I'd say its much better than anything else they've designed.

cricky

Nov 9, 1999
Anyone find it funny that the Acura listed right under it looks like an SC1?
:)

--Chris

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
So they're going to take the Kappa platform and hang plastic on it?

I wouldn't have thought that was practical. Interesting.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
The first words I saw in this thread title was "Saturn Curve" and I thought to myself, "Wow, cool, a new discovery in probability!"

:beer: for me for being a nerd.
Nate

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: TheToOTaLL
I smell another flop..........

The only reason people will be put off by the Solstice/Curve is the lack of a back seat. No matter how unusable the this area is in allot of sporty cars it is still there in case you need it.

This isn't a $40K SSR or Thunderbird. The Solstice is supposed to come in under $20K.

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: geno
Why does it remind me of a Bugatti?

Because it has a large, vertical grille and the headlights are horizontally long and slender.

I hope they flush out the front end, I don't particularly like the way the grille points out of the car.

I'd much rather see the Nomad produced than this.