Saturday Night Live will return in Oct: Jim Carrey Will Play Joe Biden and Alec Baldwin will be back as Trump

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It is nice to see that their streak of not being funny will continue for the foreseeable future. ;)

-KeithP

Yeah, it almost feels like posts about Saturday Night Live should belong in the P&N forum now. It's more about scoring political points than comedy nowadays.

Nov 8, 2012
Yeah, it almost feels like posts about Saturday Night Live should belong in the P&N forum now. It's more about scoring political points than comedy nowadays.

Eh - They usually don't have too much politically - it's usually the opening skit which is admittedly one-sided, mostly boring, etc...

Sometimes the guest person will make some dumb political statements - which is funny coming from loaded celebrities. This also isn't just limited to SNL, this is something seen with these types of show across the board... Daily Show... Samantha Bee... etc.. They just suck at writing jokes. I don't in anyway mind watching political stuff regardless of which side it is as long as it's funny. I watched the daily show.... well... daily... up until Jon Stewart left.

For SNL Really it boils down to.... 90% of the skits are just... BAD. Like... VERY VERY bad. I don't mean politically, I just mean whatever team of monkeys are writing these things are simply people that don't know what humor is.

Humor is gone. Originality is gone. It's a lot like Hollywood - they continue to make reboots, sequels, rehashes, etc... of old stuff - except they suck at writing so even though the originals from long ago might be funny, their new spins on it totally suck balls.

They might occasionally do a skit that actually hits on the left - This one was definitely pretty good though I haven't seen an equivalent in a looooooooooong time. Also technically not a skit since it was pre-recorded and not live.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Ok, Boomers.

It's not consistent, but there are still some hilarious moments. My favorites as of recent have been the Adam Driver skits -- search for 'ah man, I don't have any cash' or 'BK Joe'.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Meh, I watched 70s SNL - 2000s SNL, it's always been mostly meh with 3-15% funny stuff per episode.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
the opening scene of the new season (trump vs biden's debate) was meh.

but i liked Jim Carey's facial expressions.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Opening season definitely a loser. Jim Carey looked good and had the part down but the writing... eish. Show was not funny, not the smart funny SNL has done in the past. And it was the writing, the scripts that fell flat. Even Chris Rock seemed under rehearsed and confused which made his comic attempts also fell flat. Hopefully they will get better, it's a long time until November 3rd. And some of the cast could have been replaced. I don't know why they keep Pete Davison around.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I thought the opening was pretty good. I was surprised they went to Trump catching covid which I liked. Also thought Chris Rock's opening monologue was good.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I thought the opening was pretty good. I was surprised they went to Trump catching covid which I liked. Also thought Chris Rock's opening monologue was good.

Yeah, I thought the open and monologue were good, the rest was mostly flat. You could also tell that much of it was re-written within a day to include the covid references and jokes in Weekend update, because the timing was off in many spots--especially that open--and even the camera dudes were a bit confused, lol.

That NBA bubble draft sketch was just...I mean, what was the point? It was maybe 2 beats that didn't connect to anything, 5 people come out with one-liners, and then "the end." I think that was one that wasn't supposed to make the show but they maybe tossed it in at the last second to replace a sketch that they decided to leave out for, maybe poor taste or something?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah, I thought the open and monologue were good, the rest was mostly flat. You could also tell that much of it was re-written within a day to include the covid references and jokes in Weekend update, because the timing was off in many spots--especially that open--and even the camera dudes were a bit confused, lol.

That NBA bubble draft sketch was just...I mean, what was the point? It was maybe 2 beats that didn't connect to anything, 5 people come out with one-liners, and then "the end." I think that was one that wasn't supposed to make the show but they maybe tossed it in at the last second to replace a sketch that they decided to leave out for, maybe poor taste or something?
I didn't really watch anything other than opening, monologue, and the news update. I tried to watch the one about name change but fast forwarded it and the one about the kid playing tony hawk was really bad too.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I didn't really watch anything other than opening, monologue, and the news update. I tried to watch the one about name change but fast forwarded it and the one about the kid playing tony hawk was really bad too.

OK, I guess I really did nap a few times because I don't recall either of those 2 sketches--and yeah, I know for sure that I was napping because the show seemed to be over in about 20 minutes, lol.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Same here, lets just say that Baldwin's trump is epic, always has been. Carrey was also sharp as Biden, you could tell he put some time into studying his mannerisms. The weekend update was good, usually is, but the rest of SNL can vary from bad to mildly funny, they have plenty of talent but the writing suffers a lot at times.

Nov 8, 2012
bumping this - I've continued to watch SNL - but holy crap I'm at that final breaking point where it just isn't worth it anymore.

Used to be I would:
1) Watch the political opener - and it can be decent sometimes
2) Watch opening monologue from celebrity guest.r
3) Skim through remainder - maybe stop on one or so if the plot is good
4) Watch Weekend Update - since it's still decent
5) Skim through remainder - maybe stop on one or so if the plot is good

Now the opener and the monologue has been absolutely atrocious lately. Just wow. I am honestly shocked how it's humanly possible to have such a massive amount of complete morons in a writing room that think this is funny.

This week I just ended up skipping all the way to weekend update and turning it off.

Here was the latest opener - it's shitacular and pretty much revolves around the kind of humor a 6 year old would find funny.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
To be honest, SNL was never all that good. The average episode has about 10 minutes of content that's actually funny. The rest of it is just filler crap and angry political ranting.