Saturate my local network

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
How do I saturate my local network ? I am trying to test streaming to see if the stream will go to lower quality when my network is saturated but still play. Thanks!

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I do not think that it the network function per-se.

You have to target specific Devices on the network and see how they behave under lower "Stream".

:cool:

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
If you want real world test in your home then do the obvious. Just get as many devices in home streaming off Internet site and local intranet files that you'd actually do. There are intranet tools available to benchmark, but that is synthetic.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
Use iperf.
https://iperf.fr/en/

Set up one box in your network to receive data with iperf.exe -s. On another box, start the session with iperf.ex -c <ipaddr of the first box>.
You might wanna read a little documentation of iperf. So you can do the test with UDP in stead of TCP. (TCP backs off, UDP does not).
See https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-faster-than-the-other.2531902/#post-39248864 for more details.
Make sure the path you are saturating with iperf is partially overlapping with the path where your stream goes.

Feb 25, 2011
Right now old laptop as a plex server to my TVs each with a Roku.
What other stuff are you using the network for?

If you've got gigabit ethernet everywhere, and a fully switched network. traffic between host A and B (say, your partners' computer and the NAS) won't interfere with traffice between hosts C and D (the plex server and the Roku.) So there's really nothing to worry about.

If most of your traffic is internet, capped at, say, 50Mbps, then the bottleneck is there - no single node on the network will be pulling down enough data to interfere with plex traffic either, even over wifi.

If all your clients are wifi, then just create a traffic jam on your WAP by copying a bunch of files from a wifi client to your NAS (or something) at the same time you're trying to stream. (WiFi is shared medium, like the old hubs.)