sata shows up in start-up, but not in windows

exitnow

Nov 5, 2004
i installed a sata pci card, and when it posts it shows in the drive in my primary slot, but it is nowhere in "my computer" i also tried to load windows onto it, or format it or something, but it isn't there when i boot from my windows cd. what am i missing. thanks for any help.

asus, a7n8x
xp pro, sp2

gutharius

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Is this the deluxe version? I am assuming so. If so you need to install the latest sata drivers from your chip manufacturer. I thil yours should be SIL look on the board just below the memory slots and behind the pci ports one of the chips should say SIL on it with some numbers after it. that is the chip and model number fo the chip. Go here: http://www.siimage.com/products/storage.asp find your driver and then download and install. Also make sure you have SATA enabled in the bios.

helpmeout

Sep 24, 2001
In Device Manager, your SATA drive will show as Primary IDE.

Oops, jusat noticed you're using a PCI card, so I'm not sure: Could be above or it could show as SCSI.

exitnow

Nov 5, 2004
someone told me that my board doesn't support it even though it has the connecters and came with sata cables, but he said a pci card would do the trick. it shows up as scsi or something, when i post, but that is it, nowhere in windows.

helpmeout

Sep 24, 2001
When you go to Device Manager, does your SCSI and RAID Controller show up? Expand that and you see your PCI card. Above that expand Disk Drives- that should show your hard drive model as a SCSI Disk Device.

helpmeout

Sep 24, 2001
Has your drive been formatted? Go to control panel/Admin tools/computer management/ click on Disk Management on the left. See if your drive shows there. If so, you may be able to format it there. If not, format the drive with the drive manufacturers Disk Tools. If you didn't get a diskette/CD with the drive, go to manufacturer's site and download.

exitnow

Nov 5, 2004
thank you very much, i had forgotten where to format my discs, it has been a couple years since i have tried to do this. i think the last time i tried, win 98 v.2 was still on my drive. much love for all the help