SATA Drives & Games

jliles01

Nov 6, 2007
At first, i was going to ask for help with my COD4 dvd not being seen by my DVD drive. But after looking through this forum, the problem seems to be larger.

My problem; The game installed fine. When I click on single player. after about 5 seconds I get a "Please insert correct DVD-ROM..." error. The disc is still in the drive from the install. I've tried everything Activision support has suggested. I was able to install and start the game on my other computer with a PATA DVD-ROM drive, so I think the disc itself is ok. Both drives are LITE ON drives. LH-20A1L doesn't work, SOHC-5236V does, LITE ON DH-52C2S-04 just ordered. And the problem happens both with and without my overclock settings.

Now I'm seeing people here having problems with CRYSIS and SATA drives. Could my problem be due to the drive being SATA also? Will I have the same problem with the new SATA CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive I just ordered last night from Newegg to replace the 2 week old drive I have now?

I'm built 4-5 computers over the last few years, but I don't know much about how the various SATA, PATA, IDE, etc. controllers work. And this is my first SATA cd/dvd drive.

With my new build, I wanted to go all SATA. I don't have the JMicron IDE contoller enabled on my MB, and was hoping to keep it that way. I've seen posts of people having issues with JMicron controllers, and I wanted to get rid of the big IDE cables anyway.

Could someone try to explain to me what the issues might be with SATA cd/dvd drives? Besides going back to PATA drives, are there other options?

I used my current drive to install WinXP, Bioshock, Stalker, and various other applications when I rebuilt 2 weeks ago. So far, COD4 is the only disc I've had problems with. But from what I'm seeing in this forum, my problems may be bigger than just COD4 in the future. I WAS planning on CRYSIS between now and Christmas. I know a quick fix for COD4 would be to get the game thru STEAM. But I've already paid for it once.

Thanks for any help/advice/info anyone can give me.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
You have a private message. Used any virtual drive software in the past like Daemon Tools or Alcohol?

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
The problem is SecuROM copy protection. Complain to the publisher and Sony, although Sony probably doesn't care they just enjoy screwing people over.

Sony sucks!

D

Deleted member 4644

My Crysis problems only occur with SATA. My solution was to use a USB drive for Crysis.

COD4 works perfectly in my SATA drive tho.

jliles01

Nov 6, 2007
I will check the SecuROM issue. If that's it, I guess I've been lucky. I've had quite a few other games with it and never had an issue. I believe Bioshock came with it and I have it installed now. No problems with Bioshack.

Activision did have me update a SafeDisc file. I thought maybe SafeDisc was one of the other programs like SecuROM.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Ooops. I guess COD 4 has Safedisc, not SecuROM. Although it sounds similar to problems many people have had with SecuROM.

jliles01

Nov 6, 2007
I wanted to post my solution to the COD4 error for others who might have this problem.

I had to go back to my PATA optical drive. Apparently with my SATA drive being on the controller in RAID/AHCI mode was causing WinXP to see the drive as a SCSI drive. I read that some DRM's don't like SCSI optical drives. So when I tried to play single player, SafeDisc, COD4's DRM, didn't see the dvd in the drive.

I had tried this solution the first night the problem happened, but somehow I must have done something wrong in installing the PATA drive, because it didn't help. I decided to try again and the game started right up. I had hoped to go all SATA, but I guess that's not possible with COD4.

I got the same error again, with the PATA drive installed, after the computer woke from S3 Standby. I rebooted and once again was able to play. I have since changed the Standby state from S3 to S1 and have had no further problems. I also have had no problems with FEAR, STALKER, or BIOSHOCK, which use SecuROM, and the SATA optical drive.

Maybe this will help others.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I havent bought Call of Duty 4 or Crysis yet, but many other protected games have been working fine on my new system.
Its all SATA, I finally got rid of those huge cables.
Next step is a USB keyboard and I will finally be legacy free.

The (supposedly) protected games I installed and have working are: Test Drive Unlimited, Neverwinter Nights 2, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, and several older titles I cant recall.