SATA Controller Driver seems to be causing BSOD - SBS 2003

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Last week I installed a PCI SATA controller (with a Silicon Image 3512 Chip) in one of my SBS 2003 (SP1) Servers. I've used SI 3112- and 3132-chipset PCI SATA controllers in several SBS 2003 Servers, and have always gotten the drivers from the Windows Update option in the "Found New Device" wizard. I haven't had any previous problems doing so. This the frst Silicon Image 3512-based card I've used, but it uses the same drivers as the 3112, which I've used a lot.

This time, though, after inserting the SATA controller and installing the drivers, I found that if I go into the "Device Manager", the Server will eventually bluescreen with a STOP error. Even after removing the SATA card, it does the same. Attempts to Uninstall or Update the SATA Controller drivers also cause a crash during the removal process., both in Safe and Normal Mode. And the Server typically bluescreens when I attempt to restart it.

I'm getting a Complete Memory Dump with each crash, and I've analyzed it with Microsoft's Debugging Tool. It says that "ntkrnlmp.exe is likely the cause".

Microsoft's online error reporting tool (OCA) says that the problem appears to be an unspecified driver. The error is "Page_Fault_in_NonPaged_Area".

This SBS 2003 Server has been running error-free for about 3.5 years, and the problem started immediately after install of the Silicon Image SATA driver. So I suspect it's the SATA driver (although it IS signed and is WHQL).

I can't seem to get rid of this problem. Windows won't uninstall the drivers without crashing. I've gone into the Recovery Console and replaced the driver files with older versions and also tried renaming them so they can't be found. The Server STILL crashes when I go into the Device Manager. I also discovered that renaming the Silicon Image Control Panel (SilSupp.cpl) makes the Server unbootable.

I've run three passes with Memtest 86+, with no errors. This is Micron ECC memory, by the way. The Server is a Dell 400SC.

I have full backups of the Server, but I'm hoping to avoid using them if I can. Right now, the Server is stable and fully functional as long as I let it run by itself and don't play with the devices.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: DrGreen2007
Was there any other SI chipsets in the SBS2003 server ?
No. This was the first time this Server had ever seen an SI chip.

One thing I'm tempted to try is installing a DIFFERENT SATA card (with an SI3112 chipset and known-good SI drivers). Maybe that will give me a chance to install some "good" drivers.