SATA 2 VS SATA 3 Cables - Any Difference?

Gorrillasnot

Mar 1, 2004
Is there any difference in speed?
I have an SSD and am using an old SATA cable I got with some motherboard back in the day.
I believe it is SATA 2 heck could be SATA 1 for all I know.
Is it hurting my performance?

My SSD is a Lite-On 256GB which I think is a rebadge of a Plextor M3. My PC specs are in sig.

Using AS SSD Benchmark I am getting a SEQ of 477.74/345.99 with Intel RST drivers installed.

does this sound about right or should I update my cables?

thanks

Last edited:

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
No, it will not hurt performance. I believe MaximumPC did a comprehensive test and showed them all performing consistently. I had a link to it before, too lazy to look it up. But, again, the conclusion is that quality cable is quality cable. IIRC they even bent the cables and coiled them, etc... Anything they could do to try and get performance degredation and nothing really seemed to hinder performance.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
I think the only difference is the clip on the newer cables.

Yep, some do and some don't and it's not required.

There's actually no difference in specs between SATA 1, 2, or 3 cables except for the manfg guaranteeing that they will work with said spec.

Always buy quality and you won't have a problem. ;)

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
No, it will not hurt performance. I believe MaximumPC did a comprehensive test and showed them all performing consistently. I had a link to it before, too lazy to look it up. But, again, the conclusion is that quality cable is quality cable. IIRC they even bent the cables and coiled them, etc... Anything they could do to try and get performance degredation and nothing really seemed to hinder performance.

Nice, I sure dont miss ribbons!

Gorrillasnot

Mar 1, 2004
thanks for the info everyone. I know SATA cables aren't that expensive but my current rig was a budget build and I tried to use as much leftoveror used parts as I could.
I'm glad my old SATA cables aren't hurting my performance.

thanks again