Sarah Palin's foreign policy experience

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
What is it?

I have heard that she lived in a border state (along with everyone else in ME, NH, VT, NY, MI, WI, MN, ND, MT, ID, WA, CA, AR, NM, and TX) that she has absorbed foreign policy experience from osmosis.

Now, before you throw out the Gov. of a border state claim, are you claiming that every single governor of every single border state (conveniently listed above) has foreign policy experience and is ready and able to perform the role of VP and very likely Pres?

What are some of these foreign policies that she has enacted between the Alaskan government and the Canadian and/or Russian government or officials?

Did they all travel to Juneau because we know for a fact that she didn't travel to either of those countries. Hell, I've been to Russia and Canada and live in a border state with Mexico and I have been an executive (owned my own business). I'm hoping to be McCain's UN Ambassador with such a glowing resume.

Someone please help me out and fill this vacuous hole in my mind where her foreign policy experiences should be.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
why does a vice president need extensive foreign policy experience?

that's the president's job (unless you're Obama or Bush and need to rely on your handlers... er, VP's)? I'm drawing a blank when I'm trying to remember what John Edwards' foreign policy experience was in '04...

I don't think she has vast foreign policy experience, but I don't see it as a major issue at the bottom of the ticket.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Lets see.... an understudy with little foreign policy experience, versus a president with equally little foreign policy experience. Which is better?

Oh, and when you say things like "able to perform the role of VP and very likely Pres", you've lost all credibility since the odds of McCain (if elected) getting through his term are very very much larger than the odds of her having to take over the job of president.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
She doesn't have any, plain and simple. But then again, neither do any of our other candidates that I'm aware of. Its a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I would imagine that even if McCain were to die, she'd be stepping up into an already existing cabinet structure and the democrats in congress would probably force Lieberman on her as her VP.

sierrita

Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481

that's the president's job (unless you're Obama or Bush and need to rely on your handlers... er, VP's)? I'm drawing a blank when I'm trying to remember what John Edwards' foreign policy experience was in '04...

I don't think she has vast foreign policy experience, but I don't see it as a major issue at the bottom of the ticket.

Have you not realized that if McCain dies, she's the President of the U.S.?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: sierrita

if.

and it's not a particularly likely scenario, no matter what the hacks will tell you. who was the last president to die of natural causes before the age of 76?

and if it were to happen, she'd be stepping into an already existing foreign policy with advisers and cabinet members to get her up to speed, and I'd imagine that the democrats would probably force Lieberman on her as VP.

Truman's memoirs were a pretty good read as far as what happens when you step outside of a senate meeting and suddenly find yourself POTUS.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
What is Obama's foreign policy experience???

Uhmm.. the Senate Foreign Relations Committee?

Here, I'll finish the conversation for you:

Pro-Jo: He never called a meeting! Hurf blurf!

eskimospy: You're referring to his subcommittee, the foreign relations committee that he is on meets frequently.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Since when is foreign policy experience a pre-requisite to becoming president? Did Clinton, Bush, Reagan, or any other former governor who won the presidency have foreign policy experience?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
^ George HW Bush was director of the CIA

Clinton and Reagan, I don't know off the top of my head.

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
I agree with you BUT

Ok on the scale of 10
McCain - 9
BHO - 2
Palin - .5

so the difference if 1.5 no big deal... BHO brings down the country in 2 months, she in 15 days...

BUT BHO is running for the office she is not

so OP = FAIL

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
McCain, the guy who wants our troops in Iraq for 100 years when their PM just said he wants them out in 16 months? You gave that guy a 9/10?

:laugh:

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton
McCain, the guy who wants our troops in Iraq for 100 years when their PM just said he wants them out in 16 months? You gave that guy a 9/10?

Its not their PM its Iran, remember getting out of Iraq 100% is like handing over it to Iran. We do need to keep our presence there as long as we need OIL.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: andy04

Its not their PM its Iran, remember getting out of Iraq 100% is like handing over it to Iran. We do need to keep our presence there as long as we need OIL.

We don't need nearly as much presence there as we have now in order to ensure that we get oil and that is especially true since they have already stated that they want us out. Just because they want us out doesn't mean that they do not want our money.

Regardless, this is why we need to jump start and maintain a strong pace of steady research into the development of a realistic renewable replacement for the majority of our oil needs.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

And you realize that Obama is the President from day one.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Yes, and most of the voters believe that this is a good thing. I know you don't believe that is true though. We'll just have to wait for November.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

And 18+ million have already decided they're ok with this.

How many have stated their confidence in SP??????

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Yes, that's why we nominated him.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004

Say what?!?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Pens1566

how is that even an issue? she's a VP candidate, they'll "state their confidence" one way or the other in November.

there's no prerequisite that vice presidential candidates have to have run in the primaries, and it's certainly not like Obama picked the runner up -- did Biden even get 1% of the votes of confidence?

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Pens1566

how is that even an issue? she's a VP candidate, they'll "state their confidence" one way or the other in November.

there's no prerequisite that vice presidential candidates have to have run in the primaries, and it's certainly not like Obama picked the runner up -- did Biden even get 1% of the votes of confidence?

Of course there's no pre-req, but in PJs twisted little world he's directly comparing SP and Obama wrt how many have considered the scenario.

Biden, meh. No one is really questioning his capability if called upon. Then again, his boss won't be 73 with a history of multiple melanomas either .....