Sapphire Radeons compared to ATI Radeons...

McRhea

Apr 2, 2001
Is Sapphire really that awful? If i get a Sapphire Radeon X1800XT, and it breaks, am I screwed? Whats the difference between a Sapphire Radeon and the ATI Radeon? Does Sapphire use shittier components to build the board or something? Should I be concerned that my Sapphire Radeon isn't going to last as long as an ATI Radeon?

PseudoKnight

Oct 18, 2004
I'd like to know as well. I have a feeling that the consensus concerning Sapphire has more to do with the their low-cost and vanilla boards than actual performance or durability.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Sapphires awful? Thats news to me, an X1800XT is an X1800XT, theres slight differences between the different manufacturers but nothing drastic. My experiances with sapphire have been good, none of their cards have crapped out on me.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Sapphire is a good manufacturer; really the only difference is the bundle deal. Sapphire is a top-tier manufacturer and is closely tied with ATI. there is very little difference, if any, between the two manufacturers.

McRhea

Apr 2, 2001
Thanks Guoziming, that answers my question.

And this is in Software because some dude from the General Hardware forum said that this forum would be a better place to ask my question since "lots of gamers frequent that forum."

*shrug*

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Unless you need to do an RMA theres very little difference at all, in fact based on reviews the Sapphire cards tend to overclock a bit higher then average, however if you do need warranty service from what I've read its more of a hassle to deal with Sapphire then ATI itself.
If the warranty is your main concern, you should go with Powercolor since AKAIK they are the only maker of ATI cards that offers lifetime coverage... I went with HIS myself because IME if the card lasts a month it will last as long as I want to use it & it was the cheapest XTX I could find @ $449 AR.

Alaa

Apr 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Captante
Unless you need to do an RMA theres very little difference at all, in fact based on reviews the Sapphire cards tend to overclock a bit higher then average, however if you do need warranty service from what I've read its more of a hassle to deal with Sapphire then ATI itself.
If the warranty is your main concern, you should go with Powercolor since AKAIK they are the only maker of ATI cards that offers lifetime coverage... I went with HIS myself because IME if the card lasts a month it will last as long as I want to use it & it was the cheapest XTX I could find @ $449 AR.

IME,AKAIK!! dictionary plz!

AzNPinkTuv

Nov 29, 2005
sapphire = evga of ati...

i dont believe you can say ****** and sapphire in the same sentense.. even the name sapphire is pretty pristine

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Alaa
Originally posted by: Captante

IME,AKAIK!! dictionary plz!

Try urbandictionary.com & FYI (I assume you know that one! : ) IME = in my experience
& AFAIK = as far as I know

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Sapphire is actually a very good manufacturer; they even make ATI's first party cards for them. Quality with Sapphire is excellent.