Sapphire 7970 OC vs Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X OC

rottencurry

Oct 13, 2012

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
i have made my mind to get either of these Sapphire cards. I could either get the $350 non Vapor X or wait until the $450 price of the Vapor-X goes down. I've seen great reviews for both, is the Vapor X really worth it or is the non Vapor X basically the same?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202001 Vapor X

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...HD%207970%20OC Regular

Don't try to persuade me into getting anything else, I have made up my mind. Thanks is advance.

I have the low cost one it is good but has a weak pcb. so if you hang it in a tower you have to figure a way to support it. mine is in a cooler master elite 120 build and it does not hang it is mounted so that it rests on the board and needs no support. I am pulling a bad review from newegg

this will happen to you with a side mount. and gravity pulling it.

"... Cons: This card lacks support for the PCB board and with the weight of the dual fan cooler pulling down on it and the heat from the GPU lighting it up in games I suspect it is causing the PCB board to warp which in turn is the cause for the screens shutting off and/or random BSOD after two weeks of use. Get a clue Sapphire you should have put a backplate on these cards to help support and equal the load of the heatsink across the board and to also help the board stay STRAIGHT. Instead you put some flimsy little support bar along the side like that was going to do something. ..."

I do not know that reviewer but i have 14 hd7970's and 2 7950's.

1x powercolor 7990 which I counted as 2 7970's

1x powercolor 7970 reference

1x visiontex 790 reference

3x xfx 7970's 925 double fan

1x xfx 7970 1000 black double fan voltage

1x xfx 7970's 925 double fan voltage locked annoying this is my newest one and I don't reccomend buying it since it has locked voltage

2x msi 7970's reference 1x

1x msi 7970 reference oc version

1x sapphire reference 7970

1x sapphire double fan

and 2x msi 7950's

they all are good for bitcoin mining if used correctly.

So I know that low cost sapphire has the most flimsy pcb by far.. > for the good it is quiet it down clocks to .990 volts and 950 speed runs around 65 c and 99 % 24/7/365 but i have it resting in the coolermaster elite 120 so it is supported by the mobo with 0 strain on the pcb.

look as these types of builds I have a sapphire reference in one I have the lower end sapphire you picked in the second one and I have a msi reference in the third one. the reference ones could hang and work but the sapphire you like is flimsy it has to rest like these do.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2268192&page=2

I would buy it if you want to mount it like my builds or if you want to support it if it hangs on the side. One last thing I did run it at 1.100 volts and 1040 mhz for a day straight but I have found for bit coin my power to hash numbers are best at about .95-.98 volts 925-940 speed on just about all my 7970 cards.

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Guess you didnt get the memo about the new dedicated Bitcoin mining rigs that are going to up the difficulty so high it is going to take all the profit out of mining for all but the top dogs.

I got the memo Gordon Freemen. I was answering a question from another poster. Still haven't learned to comprehend posts eh? :rolleyes:

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
Guess you didnt get the memo about the new dedicated Bitcoin mining rigs that are going to up the difficulty so high it is going to take all the profit out of mining for all but the top dogs.

yeah I did and from now until april I heat my house for free. then sell the cards off. also if the asics hit I just sell the cards in jan.

I got the memo Gordon Freemen. I was answering a question from another poster. Still haven't learned to comprehend posts eh? :rolleyes:

thank you for a simple explanation a few posts back

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have the vapor x model. Great card, my asic is not so good and mine can overclock pretty good but not as some others can with the same card. I didn't get the oc model because I was afraid of coil whine. The vapor x stays cooler and is much quieter. Better premium components. From visual, the PCB could be the same on the vapor x but I think it's custom.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
the vapor-x is a higher quality custom PCB with better power circuitry. so should you get lucky with the silicon lottery this card has quality components to push your chip to the limits.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
just sold my old MSI 7970 and got the Vapor-X 3gb version, very solid card overal, oc's like a dream, the dual fan design is very effective and the PCB is made of hight quality stuff. Sometimes paying a bit more makes sense :)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I can oc up to 1170/1580 before I get small artifacts on the tests. But it's nice how cool the card can stay. Deff can handle any game you throw at it.

rottencurry

Oct 13, 2012
Wait, so with a HAF 912 case, would be able to mount the cheaper one with the case standing vertically? Or would I have to lay it on its side?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Wait, so with a HAF 912 case, would be able to mount the cheaper one with the case standing vertically? Or would I have to lay it on its side?

Huh ? The video card goes in one way regardless which way you want to put your case.

rottencurry

Oct 13, 2012
yeah, but philipma said that the pcb was weak so you have to lay the case horizontally down. I'm not entirely sure that is true.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
yeah, but philipma said that the pcb was weak so you have to lay the case horizontally down. I'm not entirely sure that is true.

You definitely don't have to lay it down at all. Install it and screw it in, it'll be fine.

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012

I said you need a horizontal case or you need support if you have a vertical case.

this is the lower cost sapphire. my mobo is horizontal because it is a horizontal case design.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&SID=u00000687

if you use a vertical case just make a support for your sapphire I have some of this 1/2 inch pvc pipe

http://www.amazon.com/Charlotte-Pipe...1%2F2+pvc+pipe

I cut it to the right length and use it to act like a post under the video card. you can also use a wooden dowel

http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Dowels-36...++wooden+dowel

to brace the card

stick this on the end that touches the card so the card does not scratch

http://www.amazon.com/Value-Furnitur...2F2++inch+felt

when you side mount the card you will be able to see what it need to make it not sag.