Sapphire 4870 deactivated at new egg???

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Afaik in some cases, they deactivate items that are 1) sold out and 2) they don't have a known ETA for when they'll receive stock again.

Nov 26, 2005
I hate seeing that, heh. I am saying cause I may be interested in buying another one. I hope its just out of stock. Normally it just is in the section but just with a out of stock note.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Why must you buy another Sapphire? That particular one is just a reference card and any of the other brands will match up with it.

Or do you just really like that Lara Croft lookalike skank :p?

Nov 26, 2005
Was just thinkin to get the exact same one if i decide one day to get a Xfire board or just do it in 16x4 mode er something... i want a P45 board one day ...

EDIT: what happend to the notify when it comes in option, hmmm, curious.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: BTRY B 529th FA BN
Was just thinkin to get the exact same one if i decide one day to get a Xfire board or just do it in 16x4 mode er something... i want a P45 board one day ...
Yeah, that's what I meant. Afaik, Crossfire should still work, even with an HIS or Powercolor or whatever brand reference model 4870.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004

You don't need to same brand for Crossfire....you can even use a 4850 and a 4870 if you want.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Sylvanas

You don't need to same brand for Crossfire....you can even use a 4850 and a 4870 if you want.

i couldn't get my 2900xt to work with 4870
:roll:

But i believe even 38x0 should work with 48x0 series. You will definitely have zero problem running any 48x0 with any other 48x0 card in crossfire. it is much improved over previously.

Finally, there is nothing new about a new 4870 at Sapphire requiring deactivation of the current one.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/

there is however a new 4850 :p

This new version of the HD 4850 has been production engineered by SAPPHIRE to bring a number of benefits to the end user. Still carrying 512MB of DDR3 memory and offering the same performance as the original model based on the reference design, with clock speeds of 625MHz (core) and 993MHz (memory), the SAPPHIRE model features a revised PCB layout with quality components and a new dual slot cooler with copper core which delivers more efficient and quieter operation. This version is shipping from the first week in August and will be available at a lower price than the launch model.

Lower price it says .. i hope
:)

finally here is the reason when you click on ?Deactivated item:

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo...u=detail391#xdetail391

What is a Deactivated Item?

When a product is out-of-stock, it may show as "Deactivated" on the item page. This could mean that the item is no longer available and we are searching for a new supplier. However, if an item has reached the end of its product life cycle and will no longer be available at all, the deactivation will be permanent.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin

i couldn't get my 2900xt to work with 4870 =P

But i believe even 38x0 should work with 48x0 series. You will definitely have zero problem running any 48x0 with any other 48x0 card in crossfire. it is much improved over previously.

Finally, there is nothing new about a new 4870 at Sapphire

This new version of the HD 4850 has been production engineered by SAPPHIRE to bring a number of benefits to the end user. Still carrying 512MB of DDR3 memory and offering the same performance as the original model based on the reference design, with clock speeds of 625MHz (core) and 993MHz (memory), the SAPPHIRE model features a revised PCB layout with quality components and a new dual slot cooler with copper core which delivers more efficient and quieter operation. This version is shipping from the first week in August and will be available at a lower price than the launch model.

same price i hope

Unfortunately not.

HD48xx + HD38xx

Since we know you are going to ask, this option does NOT work. We tried with 5 different beta and WHQL drivers from the 8.6 to the newest 8.7 and not one of them allowed us to enable Crossfire between two different families of ATI cards. Before anyone asks in the comment thread, we have confirmed the incompatibility with ATI?s driver and product teams.

So I guess that new Sapphire is just coming in to replace the reference cooled version- might aswell get rid of that reference cooler, I think everyone else will follow Sapphire in this.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: apoppin

i couldn't get my 2900xt to work with 4870 =P

Finally, there is nothing new about a new 4870 at Sapphire

same price i hope

Unfortunately not.

HD48xx + HD38xx

Since we know you are going to ask, this option does NOT work. We tried with 5 different beta and WHQL drivers from the 8.6 to the newest 8.7 and not one of them allowed us to enable Crossfire between two different families of ATI cards. Before anyone asks in the comment thread, we have confirmed the incompatibility with ATI?s driver and product teams.

So I guess that new Sapphire is just coming in to replace the reference cooled version- might aswell get rid of that reference cooler, I think everyone else will follow Sapphire in this.

So they had the same crap with 38x0 that i had with 4870 and 2900 series. Too bad .. previous to the launch it was speculated that it would work. Perhaps much later it might; i don't think i would really want to pair a 2900xt or 3870 with a 4870 [anyway; unless it was for dedicated physics like Nvidia does] but it might be ok to put an OC'd 3870 with a 4850 or even a 3870x2 with a 4870. i only wanted to try my 2900xt with my 4870 just to see if it works. CCC absolutely refuses to recognize either card in the 2nd slot :(

At least Sapphire is going to fix the only major issue with 4850 - the heat thrown back into ones case; a better and quieter cooler for less money! i am guessing that the Sapphire is just ooS at NewEgg

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Could the new version be centered around the bios fix for the cooling...As in all of the old stock is now gone?